Mystery Rolls-Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The Imperial is 230"...so yeah, that is HUGE!

The Bentley State Limo (built on a modified Arnage platform) has a 151" wheelbase and is 245" long, so I think my estimate that the Majestic is 250" to 260" long is reasonable because the overhangs on the Majestic are clearly longer than on the Bentley State Limo.

bentley-state-limous-10_800x0w.jpg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Rolls Royce still does custom cars, as does Mercedes, Porsche, Bentley, and Zonda.

If your willing to blow a few bucks a lot of manufactures will customize for you.

This is not a customization of an exiting model. This is a complete one-off car and only two were made.

That's what a custom car is. Although that particular RR looks like a stretched model of whatever they were making at the time with different sheet metal and I'm sure a different interior. I'm sure it still has the 6.75L V8 under the hood with the GM transmission and all typical RR running gear.

Every Mercedes 600 LWB ever made was custom in some way, some more than others. Its not uncommon for Royal households to have some very unique features. Like for example the Royal family of Thailand if I remember correctly has an entire fleet of custom Mercedes that they have ordered from the factory over the past 90 years. They also have a custom shade of white that Mercedes will only use on their cars.

Their is a reason that 97% of world leaders roll S class, with Rolls Royce and Cadillac making up the rest. They know how to cater to people.

Maybach for example, you could order one pretty stock, or do some radical stuff if you wanted to pay. The sky is the limit, and I know a few went out the door for well over $1m each.

Every 600 still had the same sheetmetal; it was still a Mercedes 600, albeit with custom features for each owner.

The RR Majestic was indeed built on a stretched Silver Spur chassis (just as RR's "regular" stretch limo was), but the body by Bertone was totally unique. (And when you consider that the Spur is a monocoque, you realize just what a project the Majestic was.) I've never heard of Mercedes (either now or back in the 90s) building a totally one-off car for even their richest customers that had a unique body. I don't even think Bentley or RR will do that now.

Most people don't opt to change the body, but again, you can get whatever you want and its not uncommon at that level. Mercedes and RR have been playing this game for a long time:

xenatec_mayback_cruiserio-580x385.jpg

Maybach-exelero-stuttgart.jpg

560selkombi1.jpg

Most of the really high end stuff goes to the Middle East or Asia, I don't think their are to many Americans that want to roll around in million dollar plus limos.

Their are always a few Italian companies at Pebble Beach advertising extensive body modifications.

Last edited:
Palm-Beach-078.jpg

The prewar stuff is amazing, back in the days before government regulations designers could go nuts!

483_1933duesenberg.jpg

The most expensive, fastest, and most technologically advanced cars of their day, and every single one was a one off...at a time when you could buy a Model T for $400 and it would maybe crack 40mph on a good day with a splash oiling system...Duesenberg was running 130mph, with super charged overhead cam Lycoming built I8's. Some went for over $20,000! An amazing sum at the time.

Last edited:
Most people don't opt to change the body, but again, you can get whatever you want and its not uncommon at that level. Mercedes and RR have been playing this game for a long time:

xenatec_mayback_cruiserio-580x385.jpg

Maybach-exelero-stuttgart.jpg

560selkombi1.jpg

Most of the really high end stuff goes to the Middle East or Asia, I don't think their are to many Americans that want to roll around in million dollar plus limos.

Their are always a few Italian companies at Pebble Beach advertising extensive body modifications.

The Maybach coupe was a custom build by Xenatec. It was not produced nor sanctioned by Mercedes/Maybach.

I'd be willing to bet that station wagon W126 was built by a custom coach builder and Mercedes didn't have anything to do with it.

The Maybach Exelero was a one-off commissioned by Fulda tire company.

Of these three vehicles, only the Exelero is comparable with the RR Majestic in that it was a one-off unique model built by Maybach/Mercedes specifically to a customer's requirements.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
A W126 estate? I want.

I'd rather have a W140 estate.
grin2.gif

91842d1152967918-w140-estate-pict0045tmodelllcsulea7qk3je.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back