Mystery Rolls-Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudos if you can ID this mystery Rolls-Royce:

Mystery_RR.jpg

Has kind of a Bertone flair...

Also the pics look colorized. Be a good movie car.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Has kind of a Bertone flair...

Also the pics look colorized. Be a good movie car.

Good eye on the Bertone--it was style by them.

This car is proof that if you had the money, Rolls-Royce (used to) would build you a totally one-off car. This is a 1995 "Majestic," one of two commissioned by the Sultan of Brunei. The lines of this car belie its huge size. The wheelbase is 146". This one is in a deep wine color; the other is a dark blue.

Rolls Royce still does custom cars, as does Mercedes, Porsche, Bentley, and Zonda.

If your willing to blow a few bucks a lot of manufactures will customize for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SL2
out of left field guess, a mid 90's Silver Seraph. (5.4L V12 BMW motor????)

The Silver Seraph was introduced in 1998. You can clearly see that RR stylists drew on some design cues from this one-off monster when they sketched out the Seraph/Arnage.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Rolls Royce still does custom cars, as does Mercedes, Porsche, Bentley, and Zonda.

If your willing to blow a few bucks a lot of manufactures will customize for you.

This is not a customization of an exiting model. This is a complete one-off car and only two were made.

For size reference, that car's wheelbase is 7" longer than the wheelbase of this truck:
6566-12989-180828.jpg

It's 9" longer than the wheelbase of an Excursion:
Ford_Excursion_2001.jpg

That is an absurdly large car.

I don't see its appeal
21.gif

Maybe just to say I have the only one in the world, which I might do if I were the sultan of Brunei, but otherwise it doesn't look all that special.

"The Sultan's passion for the world's most expensive, beautiful, rarest, fastest and unique cars knows no boundaries. His personal collection of over 7,000 high performance cars, which by some estimates is worth more than $5 billion includes 600 Rolls Royce cars, over 300 Ferraris,134 Koenigeggs, 11 McLaren F1s, 6 Dauer Porsche 962 LMs and a number of luxurious Jaguars."

http://elitedaily.com/envision/cars/sultan-bruneis-amazing-car-collection/

The very definition of money to burn. Thanks for the pics.

As they have found luxury yachts aground and abandoned with engines still running it would seem obvious that these folks have way more money than sense.

That party will end sooner than you think. I hear they are already injecting and working some of their oil fields as they will run dry eventually...

How long is the CAR? Offhand, my CDV is longer than an Excursion!

In perspective, though, that car's wheelbase is 19" longer than a 1970 Imperial!

(Note: I'd rather have the Imperial!)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
How long is the CAR? Offhand, my CDV is longer than an Excursion!

Never seen any specs on the length. Given the significant front and rear overhangs, I suspect the overall length is around 250 to 260 inches. This thing is probably a little longer than a Maybach 62 (242"), and has better overall proportions.

1024px-Maybach_62_near_Astor_pl.jpg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

This is not a customization of an exiting model. This is a complete one-off car and only two were made.

That's what a custom car is. Although that particular RR looks like a stretched model of whatever they were making at the time with different sheet metal and I'm sure a different interior. I'm sure it still has the 6.75L V8 under the hood with the GM transmission and all typical RR running gear.

Every Mercedes 600 LWB ever made was custom in some way, some more than others. Its not uncommon for Royal households to have some very unique features. Like for example the Royal family of Thailand if I remember correctly has an entire fleet of custom Mercedes that they have ordered from the factory over the past 90 years. They also have a custom shade of white that Mercedes will only use on their cars.

Their is a reason that 97% of world leaders roll S class, with Rolls Royce and Cadillac making up the rest. They know how to cater to people.

Maybach for example, you could order one pretty stock, or do some radical stuff if you wanted to pay. The sky is the limit, and I know a few went out the door for well over $1m each.

Last edited:
mercedes-benz-gloden-fleet-s600-pullman-guard_640x480_640x480.jpg

popelimo.jpg

11-Motorclassica-1967-Mercedes-Benz-600-Pullman-Long-Wheelbase-03.jpg

The Pullman line is targeted to heads of state and those with fleets of cars with bottomless checkbooks. They will build anything you want.

47a5152d50.jpg

They did a one off for the Pope.

Back before the war you would order a chassis from say Rolls Royce, WO Bentley, Duesenberg, Mercedes, Packard than go to a coach builder to have a body fitted. That's where you got the famous $25k Duesenburg from etc. Its no different today. You could for example buy a stock car and have a company modify it, or have the factory do it. AMG still does custom cars for example you don't have to order out of the catalog.

Or if you want an armored car you could say buy an S550 or a Rolls and have an aftermarket company do it, or they could do it in house. Mercedes has the Guard division which will build you a car with any armor level you want. From small arms ie pistols, to a full positive pressure inside environment with filters for radiation and biological threats, with enough armor to protect against IED's and RPG's. To even really cool James bond stuff like gun ports and smoke, etc. The Russians order some crazy stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

That's what a custom car is. Although that particular RR looks like a stretched model of whatever they were making at the time with different sheet metal and I'm sure a different interior. I'm sure it still has the 6.75L V8 under the hood with the GM transmission and all typical RR running gear.

Every Mercedes 600 LWB ever made was custom in some way, some more than others. Its not uncommon for Royal households to have some very unique features. Like for example the Royal family of Thailand if I remember correctly has an entire fleet of custom Mercedes that they have ordered from the factory over the past 90 years. They also have a custom shade of white that Mercedes will only use on their cars.

Their is a reason that 97% of world leaders roll S class, with Rolls Royce and Cadillac making up the rest. They know how to cater to people.

Maybach for example, you could order one pretty stock, or do some radical stuff if you wanted to pay. The sky is the limit, and I know a few went out the door for well over $1m each.

Every 600 still had the same sheetmetal; it was still a Mercedes 600, albeit with custom features for each owner.

The RR Majestic was indeed built on a stretched Silver Spur chassis (just as RR's "regular" stretch limo was), but the body by Bertone was totally unique. (And when you consider that the Spur is a monocoque, you realize just what a project the Majestic was.) I've never heard of Mercedes (either now or back in the 90s) building a totally one-off car for even their richest customers that had a unique body. I don't even think Bentley or RR will do that now.

This is what I consider a "customized" production model, equivalent to the customized Mercedes 600s from the 60s and 70s. The Sultan of Brunei ordered several of these Bentley Turbo R station wagons in the 90s.

Bentley%20Sports%20Estate%20L.jpg

Bentley%20Sports%20Estate%20RA3.jpg

Bentley%20Sports%20Estate%20achterin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back