My Supertech Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've always contended that scrimping pennies on something you do once or twice a year (oil/filter change) is false economy.

I agree plus on a vehicle that costs thousands what is a few extra bucks. I also think it is funny people on this site seem to believe that because something is cheap it must be good.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I would expect it after a given mileage. Right off the bat would be rare for most filters or engines (the picky ones).

You have much more experience with these complaints than I do, having been on this board longer and also being a dealer so I don't doubt this.
However, my own limited experience on my own vehicles has been that many ADBVs do not seem to seal off the shelf, but after being hit with hot oil a few times, begin to seal properly for the remainder of the filter's life.
I must say that few of my filters are left on past the 5000 mile mark though.

If you don't put a little bit of oil on the gasket of any oil filter, you risk the gasket sticking to the engine. I've seen it happen a couple times. My idiot cousin did it, because white trash hillbillies screw up everything they touch.

I bought a SuperTech 3953A for my friend for his 94 Accord. He always uses the Fram orange can. He thought the supertech was well constructed and used it for an OCI. He gave me grief at the end of the OCI because it must have bypassed soon after installation and his oil was quite black. Never again he said.

...my own limited experience on my own vehicles has been that many ADBVs do not seem to seal off the shelf, but after being hit with hot oil a few times, begin to seal properly for the remainder of the filter's life.

Originally Posted By: srhite
If you don't put a little bit of oil on the gasket of any oil filter, you risk the gasket sticking to the engine. I've seen it happen a couple times. My idiot cousin did it, because white trash hillbillies screw up everything they touch.

Not what Gary was talking about. What you're saying is common knowledge. He's talking about the internal anti-drainback valve.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I would expect it after a given mileage. Right off the bat would be rare for most filters or engines (the picky ones).

You have much more experience with these complaints than I do, having been on this board longer and also being a dealer so I don't doubt this.
However, my own limited experience on my own vehicles has been that many ADBVs do not seem to seal off the shelf, but after being hit with hot oil a few times, begin to seal properly for the remainder of the filter's life.
I must say that few of my filters are left on past the 5000 mile mark though.

That is to be expected. All rubber softens with heat, and most adsorb a little oil and soften and swell. The manufacturers may even design for that. I see no need to pay more than what is needed for an ADBV that works 99.9% of its life. I have also found that cheap filters won't drain after they have been removed at the end of their life.

It would be kinda funny (interesting) if all the HM oil users never complained about ADBV issues due to the seal softening and seal swelling agents in the oil keeping the valve pliable.

Originally Posted By: JBM

I did it in the dark, and needless to say there was some of the supertec filter, that was only 2 weeks old, stuck on. It was dark and i did it without a light, so long story short, i messed with the leak in the pouring new england rain in a walmart parking lot.

I wish more cops were on the road and ticketed folks that do this in private parking lots.

It's no wonder I have to sidestep big oil puddles from where my vehicle is parked enroute inside the Walmart store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back