My Supertech Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBM

So i went against my better judgement and bought a supertec filter for my jeep.

On start up i had horrible valve ticking, so i switched it out with a pure one.

I did it in the dark, and needless to say there was some of the supertec filter, that was only 2 weeks old, stuck on. It was dark and i did it without a light, so long story short, i messed with the leak in the pouring new england rain in a walmart parking lot.

I will never buy this filter again.

To each his own. The general reputation of Supertech oil filters is good one. I've only ever installed one, it was last year on a friend's Crown Vic (4.6 V8) and I had no problems at all - leak free, quiet and a great price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JBM

I did it in the dark, and needless to say there was some of the supertec filter, that was only 2 weeks old, stuck on. It was dark and i did it without a light, so long story short, i messed with the leak in the pouring new england rain in a walmart parking lot.

1. You changed your filter in a Wal Mart parking lot?
2. You are blaming ST because you did not inspect to see what happened to the gasket? (That could have happened with ANY brand of filter)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a PureOne. I alternate between brands, but I use them myself.

Well no, i had to figure out why the new filter was leaking, in the parking lot, it was from the supertec rubber gasket that was stuck in there.

Im not saying supertec is a [censored] filter, but it made my jeep sound like a diesel in the morning and then the gasket ripped off after 2 weeks of being on there.

I also learned not to do such things without a light :)

From posts on this forum the ST flow characteristics and reduction/absence of start up rattle are quite good. Any idea what the cause was?

even though everyone says ST is very good, I just do not trust a bargain brand. For my money, it's napa gold, which on sale is cheaper than st, or pure one, or bosch. These filters i use, are so good that you only change them every other time, that way they are way cheaper than ST, and you don't have to worry about quality.

I've always contended that scrimping pennies on something you do once or twice a year (oil/filter change) is false economy.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

From posts on this forum the ST flow characteristics and reduction/absence of start up rattle are quite good. Any idea what the cause was?

I used them for years until the ST 3950 disappeared from my Wal*Mart. Never had a minute's problem with one. But then I installed them in my garage where I could see what I was doing.

On my 2003 Hyundai Elantra the ST filter caused noise at start up that I never had before or after. I changed the filter out keeping the current fill of oil and the start up noise went away. The same thing happened with my friends 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse. When shopping at Walmart buy a Fram.

I take my car to an independent Toyota shop for oil changes (for the price and service, you can't beat them, and they do all sorts of checks/inspections that I'm still learning about -- also, while the car's under warranty, I feel a lot better about having an actual mechanic do all the work and print up service records for my file) and they use Toyota OEM Denso-made filters. Only a dollar or two above the cost of SuperTech filters.

That said, I recently changed the oil/filter on my friends Jeep and used a SuperTech filter. Quality seemed good, it's made in the US by Champion, and it's hard to beat the price. Certainly better than the junk peddled by Fram. So far, she's not had any filter-related troubles, but then again it's only been a week or so, so it's too soon to tell.

One of these days I'll do a test (5000 miles with a specific oil and the OEM filter and 5000 miles with the same oil and a SuperTech filter with as-near-to-identical-as-I-can-make-it driving conditions) and see what the UOA says.

What are the odds. I've been using ST for 5 years. I've probably used about 15-20 of them in those times and never had a problem. It's one of my favorite filter, when you factor in how well it's made and the cost.

Originally Posted By: rick9009
When shopping at Walmart buy a Fram.

That way the engine only makes a loud noise once.....when the engine blows.

I didnt take the time to inspect the filter. I put the new one on, and after installing it correctly, i have no start up noise in the morning.

I could have just got a bad filter i assume.

I've had the gasket come off and stick to the engine on expensive OEM filters too. It happens--it's something to check for when you change filters, not a problem with the ST.

Originally Posted By: labman
I used them for years until the ST 3950 disappeared from my Wal*Mart.

Ya. They're long gone. STP has the equivalent (as you know) for slightly more. Valuecraft (ask at the counter at Autozone) is like 1.99 for an ecore. Should be a V3950.

Anyway, I usually use the more expensive filters and like the Puros too, but the ecore are pretty decent and this is the first I've heard of start-up noise on one.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've read it twice and I can't quite get the equation to balance.

Was the ST leaking? (the "stuck gasket")

The start up rattle will probably occur with any nitrile ADBV filter after a certain number of heating:cooling cycles.

Not a biggie for me. It's what they do
21.gif

or did you say:

I changed out the ST DUE to start up rattle and in the process found out the hard way that some of the gasket remained on the engine when I went to put on the PureOne.

ST filters? If they were still $2.47 and I didn't have a source for ProSelects for $2.27 ..AND AA hadn't stopped the AATG bogo's ...I'd still have them for the lower or older stuff.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
or did you say:

I changed out the ST DUE to start up rattle and in the process found out the hard way that some of the gasket remained on the engine when I went to put on the PureOne.

That's the way I read it.
21.gif

But I wonder if the ST was doing this every start, or just with initial oil change start-up with an empty filter?

I would expect it after a given mileage. Right off the bat would be rare for most filters or engines (the picky ones).

But any filter can have a defective ADBV out of the box. It's uncommon, surely ..but it can happen.

I try and caution people from drawing any conclusion from a sampling of one ..or even multiples if they were from the same lot. While this isn't rocket science, they're not manufacturing life monitors for use in critical care units either.

I also encourage people to contact the manufacturer about the issue with the filter and request a filter retrieval kit. It will point them to the hole in QC that allowed the problem to go unchecked and allow the product to reach the market. You (they) may find that the problem was indeed detected and the product was released anyway since the defect was within acceptable minimum performance spec's ..while not be typical release condition. That is, having an ADBV that leaked right upon usage ..but still presented no material threat to the engine.

Stated for non-clarity in example: Why does Ford spec an "S" on certain filters?

A: To stop customer complaints when serviced at Ford dealerships ..and especially while under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back