My son's first car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got him a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with 52,000 miles on it. Fully loaded with pretty much everything except the moon roof and leather seats. I understand these eco-tec 4 cylinder engines are pretty good. Used car prices are really getting out of hand.

We need pics sir!
wink.gif

Good car! I had one..Very reliable and my friend has a 2000 caviler with the same engine...225,000 miles same engine and tranny and lacks basic maintenance...

Last edited:
yes, used cars pull a premium right now, my moms wrangler is worth more now then when she bought it new in 2007, new she paid $22,500 recently blue booked it, current value is $25,000 roughly.

My sister and her husband got one of those for their daughters first car. Before she started to drive one of the things I talked to her about was: What do you do if the oil light comes on? I told her how important it was to stop immediately at the first gas station or convenience store that has oil and get oil in the engine. Apparently it went in one ear and out the other.

She had it for about a year or so and one day she came back in the house after trying to start it and said it would not start. When someone checked it out the engine was out of oil. They asked her how long she had been driving it with the oil light on? She said three days. They told her that the engine was ruined. Her response was your kidding me, right? They told her no. She asked how much would it cost to get it fixed? They told her $2000. The car was not worth fixing.

Next they got her a used SUV. She got about two years out of that. She never rotated the tires, and those big tires ain’t cheap. Finally the tyranny went, and my sister and her husband were tired of putting money into her vehicles. Now she takes the bus.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
My sister and her husband got one of those for their daughters first car. Before she started to drive one of the things I talked to her about was: What do you do if the oil light comes on? I told her how important it was to stop immediately at the first gas station or convenience store that has oil and get oil in the engine. Apparently it went in one ear and out the other.

She had it for about a year or so and one day she came back in the house after trying to start it and said it would not start. When someone checked it out the engine was out of oil. They asked her how long she had been driving it with the oil light on? She said three days. They told her that the engine was ruined. Her response was your kidding me, right? They told her no. She asked how much would it cost to get it fixed? They told her $2000. The car was not worth fixing.

Next they got her a used SUV. She got about two years out of that. She never rotated the tires, and those big tires ain’t cheap. Finally the tyranny went, and my sister and her husband were tired of putting money into her vehicles. Now she takes the bus.

You can't fix stupid, and it's expensive to try to...

If it doesn't get wrecked it should last him through college. My 03 Cavalier has 145k miles on it with basic maintenance. Heck, I'm still on the original clutch.

Agreed...great little cars with the Ecotec engine. Those motors have been very reliable from what I hear. My sister used to be about the same way with maintenance...until her foolishness cost her a couple of cars. Now she's pretty good...regular oil changes and tire rotations and even asks me when she should service the trans and filters. Her last 2 vehicles have run nearly forever with minimal problems...goes to show it's never too late.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Got him a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with 52,000 miles on it. Fully loaded with pretty much everything except the moon roof and leather seats. I understand these eco-tec 4 cylinder engines are pretty good. Used car prices are really getting out of hand.

I had 3 young drivers at the same time, and I had GREAT results with Cavalier/Sunfires. Cheap to fix and reliable.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Got him a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with 52,000 miles on it.
Hope its not teal or purple...LOL

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: Josh48065
We need pics sir!

+1, I like the little Sunfire's and Cavaliers

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back