My Recent Experience with Amsoil 20w-50 V-Twin oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had the 10K mile service done on my 2012 Harley FLHX Street Glide with the 103 engine. I changed out the oil to AMSOIL 20W-50 V-Twin at 7K miles this past spring prior to my trip to Laconia Bike week in June. During the last 400 miles on this 3K mile run on this oil i had noticed that my engine was making more noise than usual during a cold start in the morning. The HD tech notified me of this also which had confirmed that is was not my imagination. I will say that the oil was run all summer with hi heat temps all summer long & had endured much stop & go high heat traffic conditions. I had the HD tech change out the Amsoil to new HD Syn-3 oil & the engine is now quiet as a church mouse on a cold start & during operation. My conclusion based on this is that the Amsoil syn oil sheared & weakened during this interval. I thought I was paying a premium for this oil so that this type of stuff would not happen? Amsoil you have lost me as a customer!

Originally Posted By: brandini
So no oil analysis, no comparison, and just hope that the new choice works better?

Sounds like a solid plan.

Yes it does! The engine is QUIET NOW! Its not rocket science here!

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
The engine is QUIET NOW! Its not rocket science here!

The point is the engine is typically always quiet with fresh oil, any oil. Even if you were to put in the same oil as before, except fresh, the engine would also be quiet.

What has me chuckling is that you are surprised by this? Not because Amsoil sheared out of grade. Almost all motorcycles and scooters shear the snot out of oil.....especially air-cooled bikes, and any small displacement scooter.

Bottom line: I don't think you can expect ANY manufacturer of oil to stay in spec for 3k+ miles in your bike....especially in the middle of the summer.

Bikes shear oils. Change often. That is the key.

If I had a Harley, I'd run 1500 mile OCI's....maybe 2k. Maybe. Currently, all of my bikes go 600-1000 mile OCI's...and they are liquid cooled.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What has me chuckling is that you are surprised by this? Not because Amsoil sheared out of grade. Almost all motorcycles and scooters shear the snot out of oil.....especially air-cooled bikes, and any small displacement scooter.

Bottom line: I don't think you can expect ANY manufacturer of oil to stay in spec for 3k+ miles in your bike....especially in the middle of the summer.

Bikes shear oils. Change often. That is the key.

If I had a Harley, I'd run 1500 mile OCI's....maybe 2k. Maybe. Currently, all of my bikes go 600-1000 mile OCI's...and they are liquid cooled.

I like quiet, silky smooth bikes. My rides are spiritual. Zen rides. I want a perfect running, perfect sounding, perfect feeling bike when I'm meditating behind the bars. Therefore, I change my oil BEFORE it begins to sound like a racket.

The 2014 Can Am with 3 cyl motor calls for oil changes at 9300 miles! Its not a new motor, having been used in quads and Sea Doo's, so maybe they know what they're doing. I'd have to do it at 5K if I had one.

...the engine is now quiet as a church mouse on a cold start & during operation.

You have achieved the Holy Grail of Air Cooled V-Twin Transportation... a Harley that's quiet!
crackmeup2.gif

The Amsoil marketing hype claims their oil does not break down under these harsh conditions. If an engine starts making unusual noises all of the sudden at a 3k mile run & then is silent after an oil change then it did break down. I don't need a oil analysis to prove that. Amsoil claims 5-10 k mile runs on this stuff? Yeah right. Lol

They claim one year or double the mfr mileage, and if you think it didn't make it, why wouldn't you contact them and offer to send them a sample? They might even give you a refund....

But without oil analysis you don't know for sure what happened, if it was indeed bad, or how badly it happened. Could just be that it's noisier in that engine, heck could even be *your* motorcycle and Amsoil could have helped warn you of premature wear.

You could possibly have just flushed proof away by changing your oil!

The point I'm making is if you suspect something, work with the company to find the cause or find a solution.

Originally Posted By: brandini
They claim one year or double the mfr mileage, and if you think it didn't make it, why wouldn't you contact them and offer to send them a sample? They might even give you a refund....

But without oil analysis you don't know for sure what happened, if it was indeed bad, or how badly it happened. Could just be that it's noisier in that engine, heck could even be *your* motorcycle and Amsoil could have helped warn you of premature wear.

You could possibly have just flushed proof away by changing your oil!

The point I'm making is if you suspect something, work with the company to find the cause or find a solution.

If everyone would do that and give feedback then it might be possible to help improve the product. At least AMSOIL is one company that you stand a chance of them helping you out and not just blowing you off like one of the other brands.

Sounds like you would do well running Super Tech 20w-50 oil in you HD and just change it out every 500 miles. No chance for issues there. Keep it running nice and quiet.

Amsoil, I am sure, is on the thinner side of the 20w-50 spectrum anyhow

Syn 3 is more than likely on the thicker side.

I am sure the Amsoil protected the engine just fine. It would surely last longer than the sin3.

Thinner: Noisier

Thicker: Quieter.

Wait till that Sin3 is in there for 3K and see how loud it gets.

Quote:

The Amsoil marketing hype claims their oil does not break down under these harsh conditions. If an engine starts making unusual noises all of the sudden at a 3k mile run & then is silent after an oil change then it did break down. I don't need a oil analysis to prove that.

How do you know it wasn't diluted with fuel?

You are drawing lots of conclusions and asserting them with almost no facts.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

The Amsoil marketing hype claims their oil does not break down under these harsh conditions. If an engine starts making unusual noises all of the sudden at a 3k mile run & then is silent after an oil change then it did break down. I don't need a oil analysis to prove that.

How do you know it wasn't diluted with fuel?

You are drawing lots of conclusions and asserting them with almost no facts.

Ahh. Here's a fact sir! My engine is now quiet as can be with the change to Syn-3! In fact I rode the Kangamangus Highway in New Hampshire all last weekend hard! Quiet as can be! That sir is a FACT! No rocket science here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
The 2014 Can Am with 3 cyl motor calls for oil changes at 9300 miles! Its not a new motor, having been used in quads and Sea Doo's, so maybe they know what they're doing. I'd have to do it at 5K if I had one.

the engine is brand new, the first of the ACE family of engines used in a Spyder (to my knowledge, the only others in this engine family are both used in snowmobiles: the 600 twin (new in 2010), the 900 triple new this year).......

Originally Posted By: Mik
tc1446 said:

the engine is brand new, the first of the ACE family of engines used in a Spyder (to my knowledge, the only others in this engine family are both used in snowmobiles: the 600 twin (new in 2010), the 900 triple new this year).......Really who cares about the Can Am engine. How does it corelate to this thread?

You need to take a deep breath and relax bro.

The solution is quite simple.....

1.) Learn to change your own oil on your HD
2.) Use any 20w50 you want
3.) Change it at 1000-1500 miles.....sooner if it get noisy

You might want to consider a Mityvac. Allows for quick oil changes. Is real convienent when you are about to go on a long ride and you already have 500 miles on your oil.....it allows you suck out several quarts quickly, and you replenish with fresh 20w50....and away you go in minutes.

Originally Posted By: Mik
tc1446 said:

the engine is brand new, the first of the ACE family of engines used in a Spyder (to my knowledge, the only others in this engine family are both used in snowmobiles: the 600 twin (new in 2010), the 900 triple new this year).......Really who cares about the Can Am engine. How does it corelate to this thread?

thanks for the warm greeting....

IN response to your question: the author of original post which made of the new Rotax engine obviously cares..... forgive me for trying to correct a stated error... silly me, I thought the purpose of this site was to present factual info

I just had the 10K mile service done on my 2012 Harley FLHX Street Glide with the 103 engine. I changed out the oil to AMSOIL 20W-50 V-Twin at 7K miles this past spring prior to my trip to Laconia Bike week in June. During the last 400 miles on this 3K mile run on this oil i had noticed that my engine was making more noise than usual during a cold start in the morning. The HD tech notified me of this also which had confirmed that is was not my imagination. I will say that the oil was run all summer with hi heat temps all summer long & had endured much stop & go high heat traffic conditions. I had the HD tech change out the Amsoil to new HD Syn-3 oil & the engine is now quiet as a church mouse on a cold start & during operation. My conclusion based on this is that the Amsoil syn oil sheared & weakened during this interval. I thought I was paying a premium for this oil so that this type of stuff would not happen? Amsoil you have lost me as a customer!

What's funny is that you believe that the conventional blend syn 3 will last any longer.
My 106 high output Harley runs real quiet on the conventional rotella 15w-40 I'm using in it now too,at 25% of the cost of that syn 3 you're running.
If you thought Amsoil was loud in your bike you don't wanna try M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back