My Quest For The Best Oil on the Planet

Does he get any compensation from Pennzoil?
Are they a sponsor of his channel?

I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee a night and day difference between PUP 5w30 and M1 delvac 5w40
The oil used and described in the video was SN+, if that's of any value or interest.

It seemed to me that he was doing a commercial for Pennzoil

It's not marketed as an extended drain capable oil, while the other two I mentioned clearly are.
When PUP first came out (around 2010 IIRC) UOA's showed it had a TBN of 12 and many on this site thought it was an extended drain oil even though SOPUS didn't market it as such. It seems that SOPUS changed the formula a bit and some feel it isn't what it used to be.

I'm never going to go 20K on an OCI so PUP is just as good IMO as Castrol Edge gold and M1 EP for the 7.5K max. that I would do.

When PUP first came out (around 2010 IIRC) UOA's showed it had a TBN of 12 and many on this site thought it was an extended drain oil even though SOPUS didn't market it as such. It seems that SOPUS changed the formula a bit and some feel it isn't what it used to be.

I'm never going to go 20K on an OCI so PUP is just as good IMO as Castrol Edge gold and M1 EP for the 7.5K max. that I would do.
You are thinking of Pennzoil Ultra, before the product lines were revamped and reworked. I have an SDS here for Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 dated August, 2012, while the earliest PUP PDS I have is dated October, 2014, so I think that's around when the split happened?

Driving the truck around with the Motorcraft 5W30 and now the PUP 5W30 I can clearly hear sounds I did not hear before with the 5W40s. Its not loud enough for me to think there is a problem, but it just seems less refined then with the 5W40.

I can see why European automakers embraced the 5W40. The European versions of 5W40 as we all.know are more like a thick 5W30. They made it just thick enough to calm the engine down but not thick enough to greatly impact mpg.

True 5W40 viscosity can be found in the 5W40 HDEOs like Rotella T6. The T6 is so thick its hard to believe the engine will fail because of a lack of lubrication.

You are thinking of Pennzoil Ultra, before the product lines were revamped and reworked. I have an SDS here for Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 dated August, 2012, while the earliest PUP PDS I have is dated October, 2014, so I think that's around when the split happened?
That sounds right, i think thats when they began to advertise "made from natural gas"

All these oils frequently have formula changes for various reasons. So whatever information you have from their website or an sds could easily be outdated.

I dont think at all the Ford Tech on Youtube is sponsoring Pennzoil. I have found that PUP has many "fan boys". Quite a strong following on this website and in general. Its not surprising seeing someone raise the yellow bottle on Youtube.

The question is will it perform better versus other oils I have used. $32 per 5 quarts is expensive compared to other Walmart shelf oils.

My understanding is you return via PayPal and that is without charge.
PayPal is going to foot the bill for when you take your jug of oil to the UPS store to ship is back to FCP Euro? The FCP site clearly states that the customer is responsible for return shipping or dropping it off in person

We are a bit off topic but here is roughly how it works:

Steps:
- Buy your oil/plugs from FCP and pay with PayPal
- Install and use the stuff
- When time to replace buy from FCP again with PayPal and install new parts
- Put old parts/oil in the new box/container
- Go on FCP web and submit your Lifetime Exchange form
- Pay UPS/FedEx to ship used parts/oil back to FCP, up to $30
- Go on PayPal and submit your UPS/FedEx receipt for a refund

PayPal is no longer offering the option of a prepaid FedEx return shipping label you can print but you still can get reimbursed...for now. Looks like they will only offer this with participating vendors moving forward...not sure FCP will be one so will be interested to see. Even covering return shipping it's still a great deal if you bundle your returns.

Driving the truck around with the Motorcraft 5W30 and now the PUP 5W30 I can clearly hear sounds I did not hear before with the 5W40s. Its not loud enough for me to think there is a problem, but it just seems less refined then with the 5W40.

I can see why European automakers embraced the 5W40. The European versions of 5W40 as we all.know are more like a thick 5W30. They made it just thick enough to calm the engine down but not thick enough to greatly impact mpg.

True 5W40 viscosity can be found in the 5W40 HDEOs like Rotella T6. The T6 is so thick its hard to believe the engine will fail because of a lack of lubrication.
A good illustration on why HT/HS is a much better indicator than grade.

Just a hypothetical....Among the hundreds of different oils on the market, if I had to absolutely choose one grade from one brand, I'd go with Mobil 1 0w40. Arguably the single best oil in the world if I had to consider everything. It's also been used and tested among more racing teams than any other I can think of.

Just a hypothetical....Among the hundreds of different oils on the market, if I had to absolutely choose one grade from one brand, I'd go with Mobil 1 0w40. That specific oil is arguably the single best oil in the world if I had to consider everything. It's also been used and tested among more racing teams than any other I can think of.
Yeah but if you follow the Cheesepuff Rule it would take educating someone about what a 0W winter rating means and does not mean. Plus that 40-grade might take some explanation as to use where a 20-grade is “required”.

Last edited:
You are correct....I'm referring to the Pennzoil Ultra which I thought PUP evolved from.
It was highly thought of on here when it first came out...I still have some in my stash....even some SM rated 5w20.

Good luck in your quest to find the best oil on the planet. There are lots of opinions, some backed by some pretty bright people too. None of them however have convinced me what oil is the best oil on the planet, and no one has been able to prove their claims either.

Good luck in your quest to find the best oil on the planet. There are lots of opinions, some backed by some pretty bright people too. None of them however have convinced me what oil is the best oil on the planet, and no one has been able to prove their claims either.
If we only had a time machine, could go back 10 years, buy a bunch of new cars, run them all with different oils and in somewhat the same conditions and then tear them down and measure everything etc....and then you'd still have arguing about it..hahahaah

If we only had a time machine, could go back 10 years, buy a bunch of new cars, run them all with different oils and in somewhat the same conditions and then tear them down and measure everything etc....and then you'd still have arguing about it..hahahaah
You're right. ;)

Just a hypothetical....Among the hundreds of different oils on the market, if I had to absolutely choose one grade from one brand, I'd go with Mobil 1 0w40. Arguably the single best oil in the world if I had to consider everything. It's also been used and tested among more racing teams than any other I can think of.
Very interesting. Do you feel it is as good or better than Castrol Euro 0w40 or other Castrol oils ?

Back