My Quest For The Best Oil on the Planet

I have trucks with the Ford Ecoboost 3.5 Liter engine and Ford states its Motorcraft 5W30 Semi-Synth is the best for it..but through oil testing I was concerned with it. Basically the oil I put in was 5W30 and the oil I took out was 5W20...and Ford says it can last 10000 miles.

Over the years I settled on Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W40 and other 5W40 Euro oils. The Mobil 1 tested very well and was able to last at least 5000 miles without it falling to a 5W20.

So Ive decided to try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. The Ford tech on Youtube says to always use OEM parts listed in the manual except for the oil which he holds up the yellow Ultra Platinum 5W30 jug.

So I decided to give this a go in my 3.5 liter High Output Ecoboost to see how it goes. I do get about .5 mpg less using 5W40. One huge benefit in using 5W40 is it quiets down the engine and sounds very refined.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I understand is their answer to boutique oils like RedLine and Amsoil. Pennzoil basically decided to make the best oil possible.

I did try Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series in the past and its a great oil...problem is its expensive and hard to source. I got the Pennzoil jug at Walmart 5 quarts for $32....more expensive then other oils at Walmart but Amsoil and RedLine are way more expensive! Basically if an oil cant be sourced from Walmart it will ultimately be too much trouble to locate when you really need it.

So I will give this a go and in several weeks report back on my findings...sending virgin oil sample to Blackstone....

BTW...API SP

View attachment 112364
View attachment 112365
Navi
I'm currently Testing a 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost for 1 of my Kids.
I did a 5k UOA back in February. I felt the oil had a lot left to offer. I should have a 10k UOA in October. If all goes well, I'll step up to a 12.5k UOA

To the bold phrase, we don't know why that is though. It could be because the oil is not as stout, or it could simply be Shell has a more conservative legal team that has shied away from taking on any liability that comes with that marketing, or that Shell doesn't want to bother because their market research suggests customers won't not buy the oil because of that lack of phrasing. So to your second point about generalizations, yes.
When Pennzoil was still an independent company I was told by a VP that by claiming oil is good past the OEM's OCI that Pennzoil would be assuming the factory warranty. When the warranty claim is denied for exceeding the OCI, the lube company would be on the hook for it. This was before every lube company having a marketing/warranty program. Maybe there is some of this thinking behind current policy.

I’m team PUP for my Hemi. It seems to like it. I don’t do extended oil drains which it’s not advertised for anyways. Went back and forth between it and Valvoline EP. Even tried Schaeffers until my local source for it dried up. Never kicked the tires on Mobil 1 because it didn’t have the Chrysler blessing until recently. Biggest issue with PUP is I can’t find it locally. Have to go to Amazon where it fluctuates prices and also availability. Any time it’s below $25 though I snatch two 5 qrt jugs. I’ve collected about 2 years worth of it and now can wait Amazon out. I wish you luck on your quest for the best.

I am a die hard PENNZOIL dude, I have several SRT cars that come factory filled with ultra platinum and I love the way engine performs with this oil, I am using this oil in everything I own for years, but few months back I accedently come across this valvoline and looking at the blackstone the additive package looks great, I am thinking about giving it I try, anyone have any feedback on this oil

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.14.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.14.34 AM.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 117
I am a die hard PENNZOIL dude, I have several SRT cars that come factory filled with ultra platinum and I love the way engine performs with this oil, I am using this oil in everything I own for years, but few months back I accedently come across this valvoline and looking at the blackstone the additive package looks great, I am thinking about giving it I try, anyone have any feedback on this oil
Use the search function you will find what you ask

Quite a few of us are running it now and enjoy it. The UOAs have been great so far for 5-7k OCIs.

Unfortunately, Valvoline sold out. Now owned by Saudi Aramco.

The SRT cars up until around 2016 or 2017 came filled with Mobil 1 0W-40. It wasn't until the Fiat buy-out (who had an existing contract with Pennzoil) where the dropped Mobil as the factory and service fills.

Why did you post a 5W-30 when the SRT cars call for a 0W-40? And, other than moly being higher (likely dimer, not trimer like Mobil and Shell use), what "stands-out" in that VOA to you?

Yep. wemay had a great thread on this.

The timing chain wear test was what held up GF6. Small dense soot particles stretch timing chains @ GDI.

The #1 reason Im trying out the PUP 5W30 is because my favorite Youtube mechanic uses it so I thought I would give it a spin. Other reasons are I have seen good oil test results and so many people seem to like it here.

I normally use Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 ESP. No issues. However I wont learn if I dont try.

The #1 reason Im trying out the PUP 5W30 is because my favorite Youtube mechanic uses it so I thought I would give it a spin. Other reasons are I have seen good oil test results and so many people seem to like it here.

I normally use Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 ESP. No issues. However I wont learn if I dont try.

Does he get any compensation from Pennzoil?
Are they a sponsor of his channel?

I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee a night and day difference between PUP 5w30 and M1 delvac 5w40

The SRT cars up until around 2016 or 2017 came filled with Mobil 1 0W-40. It wasn't until the Fiat buy-out (who had an existing contract with Pennzoil) where the dropped Mobil as the factory and service fills.

Why did you post a 5W-30 when the SRT cars call for a 0W-40? And, other than moly being higher (likely dimer, not trimer like Mobil and Shell use), what "stands-out" in that VOA to you?
I just put 5w30 for example , and no SRT start using pennzoil in 2012

I just put 5w30 for example , and no SRT start using pennzoil in 2012
You understand why I asked though, right? You were talking about SRT's and then posted a 5W-30, lol.

I may have the exact date wrong, but there was a phase-in of Pennzoil products. IIRC, when I bought my 2014 SRT-8 Charger, the dealership was still using Mobil 1 but they had switched to Pennzoil by the time I bought my 2016 SRT Grand Cherokee. The SM and I had a chat because I wanted to continue to use the Mobil product and he was fine with that.

Back