My (pre) Holiday Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been off work since Dec 15 - return Jan 3. I have been mega busy, my regular has had tons of OT, then running two businesses. Exhausted. 1.5 years until I (can) retire. My wife started back into the work force - HER choice - as my youngest started college away from home. But wife doesn't get many days off in health care and she if the usual festive cooking person.

So I do like to cook........

Smoked pork shoulder soup. Had the carcass from a couple meals, wanted some soup. I cooked up two quartered onions, a little garlic, a chopped up large apple (takes the porky flavor right out), bay leaves, carrots, a couple small tomatoes, half a jalapeno, etc, in olive oil and butter. Cooked that well, threw the remains (with bone) of the smoked roast in, browned it up, added some tomato paste, some harissa paste, then chicken broth. Simmered for a few hours, added some potatoes, chopped up the meat, removed the bone. Everybody loved the soup - rich, a little smokey, very slightly spicy!

A little lime, some mild white cheese from Bellingham and tortilla (also some sliced avocado).

soup1.jpg

Shepherd's pie (lousy cell pic):

sheppie1.jpg

And I made a fruitcake Wednesday: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-id ... ake-recipe

I didn't frost it. I have 8 varieties of booze to dose your own slice as you see fit. Usually I make a panettone or if I make a fruitcake, the old dark variety and splash with booze a couple times a week for a month or so. My mom used to do that from the old world. As much as people make fun of [censored] store bought fruitcake, my mom's stuff is awesome. This recipe is lighter and drier. Don't even bake the nuts 10-12 minutes - THAT is way too long. 8 minutes should do it. Also, I soak the fruits in different alcohols to taste. (and used a bit more booze than the recipe calls for)

I mixed some simple syrup in a decent slug of the Jameson and soaked that bomb yesterday. Frack, wow it tastes good. Moist but not wringing wet. Oh yeah!!

jameson.jpg

fruitcake1.jpg

I like Shephard's pie, great cold-weather comfort food. I also like a good fruitcake and panettone. FC gets such a bad rap....too bad.

Two points:

1. Your spoon is way to small....
2. Ever tried Cojita cheese?

Originally Posted By: dave123
I'd take a sip or two of the Jameson.

I thought the Caskmates was just a marketing thing. That stuff is nice. Really smooth with great flavor.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I like Shephard's pie, great cold-weather comfort food. I also like a good fruitcake and panettone. FC gets such a bad rap....too bad.

Two points:

1. Your spoon is way to small....
2. Ever tried Cojita cheese?

Never met a spoon I didn't like and I take every fork in the road.

I assume you mean Cotija? Sure, love it, but the local cheeses here are awesome. This is land of cheese. I like most cheeses.

Looks wonderful. Yeah my grandma still sends out fruitcake every year but hers is flat out amazing. I'm not a sweets person but I still have to have my piece. That is if we can get to before my dad gets there. Everything is still mailed to their place so I gotta get to there on the hurry if I want some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back