My Positive Service Experience at a Toyota Dealership

As I was discussing yesterday, I brought the Tundra to my local Toyota dealership for a recall, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid changes. In general, I'm skeptical of dealerships and I avoid them as much as possible because they tend to be expensive and aggressive in their recommendations, and I think the quality of their technicians can be so variable that you have no idea of the skill level/attention to detail of the person working on your vehicle. I changed the oil, oil filter, engine air filter, and cabin filter last Sunday and did not mention that to the dealership.

The process of checking in was fast and efficient and I decided to leave the car for the day instead of waiting. A few hours later I received a text message with a video from the technician doing a walkaround. He stated everything looked great except there was 4mm left on the front brake pads and 3mm left on the rear brake pads and that he did recommend replacing the front and rear brakes. I already knew this to be true. A few minutes later I received an email with the quote that we debated yesterday - some thought it was expensive, some thought it was about right, and many tried to convince me I should do it myself. I assume they could see the oil was fresh and the engine air filter/cabin filters were new. At no point was there any additional pressure or upselling of any kind. I picked up my truck and there was no damage and no oily finger marks inside.

I bought my truck there and only had one other experience with service when I noticed the hose going to the water pump was leaking at around 500 miles. They were very nice, fast, and efficient in getting that cleared up four years ago too. I'm not sure if it's in my head but the transmission shifts seem a bit more crisp and overall it was a very good experience!

My BMW and Mercedes dealers send me video walkthroughs and have never tried to upsell unnecessary service/repairs. Which is why I’m reluctant to consider other brands.

Lexus has been very polite and even offer me free coffee. And they take my money...
But nothing compares to the local Toyota dealerships around here; back in the day on weekends they had free BBQ, pizza, hot dogs and all kinds of stuff. Long gone, of course.

Lexus has been very polite and even offer me free coffee. And they take my money...
But nothing compares to the local Toyota dealerships around here; back in the day on weekends they had free BBQ, pizza, hot dogs and all kinds of stuff. Long gone, of course.
I had to do the fuel pump recall and a reprogram on the transmission on the RX 350 and there was a door rattle so I brought it to my local Lexus dealership. They too were very professional and nice. They did the recall/transmission and added a foam kit to both front doors that was designed to stop rattles under warranty. That was 3 or 4 years ago but that was a positive experience too.

As I was discussing yesterday, I brought the Tundra to my local Toyota dealership for a recall, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid changes. In general, I'm skeptical of dealerships and I avoid them as much as possible because they tend to be expensive and aggressive in their recommendations, and I think the quality of their technicians can be so variable that you have no idea of the skill level/attention to detail of the person working on your vehicle. I changed the oil, oil filter, engine air filter, and cabin filter last Sunday and did not mention that to the dealership.

The process of checking in was fast and efficient and I decided to leave the car for the day instead of waiting. A few hours later I received a text message with a video from the technician doing a walkaround. He stated everything looked great except there was 4mm left on the front brake pads and 3mm left on the rear brake pads and that he did recommend replacing the front and rear brakes. I already knew this to be true. A few minutes later I received an email with the quote that we debated yesterday - some thought it was expensive, some thought it was about right, and many tried to convince me I should do it myself. I assume they could see the oil was fresh and the engine air filter/cabin filters were new. At no point was there any additional pressure or upselling of any kind. I picked up my truck and there was no damage and no oily finger marks inside.

I bought my truck there and only had one other experience with service when I noticed the hose going to the water pump was leaking at around 500 miles. They were very nice, fast, and efficient in getting that cleared up four years ago too. I'm not sure if it's in my head but the transmission shifts seem a bit more crisp and overall it was a very good experience!
This is a dealership that I'd definitely keep in kind when you need further work done. My local indy mechanic has gone to pot after the owner sold it. The lady at the front desk tried to convince me that my front rotors and pads were shot and had rust on them (yeah cast Iron rusts whe it sits unused) when I personally replaced them myself less than a year prior. A lot of the mega dealerships have huge overhead meaning they try to upsell at every opportunity.

Can't you find something - anything - to complain about? Perhaps the coffee wasn't warm enough? We need something to rile up that guy who thinks we're all singing Kumbaya about our disdain for dealers.

I generally have a positive experience with our local VW dealership.

They are not cheap and only once suggested something that I thought questionable (drive belt cracks at 5 years old although 110k) and declined and no other tech mentioned again on subsequent 10k oil changes.

If I owned a dealership I'd be adamant that the employees are on the up and up. Being honest upfront might not net you a ton of money now but down the line you'd reap the benefits when customers do highly recommended you.
When I worked at a BMW dealer (2016-2018) my goal was to look for ways to help a customer. I don't know if it's still the case, but you needed specific training in order to sell M cars, EVs, or PHEVs. When I was called to the service lane I gave the same treatment to the kid in a ragged E36 3er as I did to a businessman in a new 7er.

My BMW and Mercedes dealers send me video walkthroughs and have never tried to upsell unnecessary service/repairs. Which is why I’m reluctant to consider other brands.
BMW has never tried to upsell anything on my 2007, because I think it's in the business model (OE parts are significantly and consistently cheaper than Toyota OE parts as I have mentioned many times). For example, my 2007 had free maintenance and at that time included pads/rotors. There's nothing to try to upsell at all, anything needed was covered. This is also the reason for the "three day oil change while you have our loaner." I figured there were enough high dollar repairs to bump my free oil change with loaner out 3 days. I also think that's why there's no need to upsell, some repairs are keeping the dealership in meeting its service revenue goals.

I do remember once in 2016 stopping at Lexus of Edison to see if they had touch up paint for my newly acquired LS430. While waiting:

"Customer is not happy. He said there's no way he should have to pay $3700 when the car is under warranty."

"What kind of car?"

"'14 GX."

"That sounds about right, and that's not a lot."

At this point I learned nobody carries touch up for a 2006 car, in 2016. Had to be ordered. I've owned a Lexus product for 7.5 years now, but I'm not in their world (where one can afford dealer service) either.

If I owned a dealership I'd be adamant that the employees are on the up and up. Being honest upfront might not net you a ton of money now but down the line you'd reap the benefits when customers do highly recommended you.
I think what you are saying, is more well suited for a top notch independent shop. Seriously.

By the same token, most family run dealerships are being bought out by nationwide run ones. Maybe the exception in my area is Piazza. They are the only local family owned one that I see expanding. Yes, Mike's family, the Mets catcher.

I have a feeling a dealer simply can't do it. The business model and the expectations from the corporate office encourages what we've come to know.

I think what you are saying, is more well suited for a top notch independent shop. Seriously.

By the same token, most family run dealerships are being bought out by nationwide run ones. Maybe the exception in my area is Piazza. They are the only local family owned one that I see expanding. Yes, Mike's family, the Mets catcher.

I have a feeling a dealer simply can't do it. The business model and the expectations from the corporate office encourages what we've come to know.
I worked for two independent dealership groups. One owned a Volkswagen dealer, still own a BMW dealership, and had owned a Porsche/ imports dealerships. Not sure why they sold the VW dealership a couple of years ago to a large group. Porsche wanted something like $500,000 in upgrades ten years ago and they said no and dropped them. VW offered them the option to sell the Phaeton way back when but again it required a $500K investment and separate wing to be built on the dealership they said no. The other is a guy who owns two Toyota, two Lexus and maybe a couple of others built a Lexus dealership super cheap back in the day. When I worked there they consistently had missed sales goals. It's insanely expensive now to own a dealership as manufacturers change course on products, branding etc. Plus the sales side is tough as alot of dealerships have minimum training, most coworkers are already trying to hit sales goals and can't help, people sponge off of your customer list etc.

This big groups try to financially push out the small independent dealerships. I had a customer that found a VW GTI at another dealership and it was a unique combination. The other dealership knew that and refused to trade. They then offered my customer a grand more on trade and another thousand off the sticker.

Back