My oil pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jazztrumpet216
I bet you never would've said that if we were talking about a Honda's oil pan rusting out.

My Acura has an aluminum oil pan, so it's not an issue.

My Tauruses had oil pans that were rotten and rusty though. I thought that all of the oil leaking out of the pan gasket would have kept the rust at bay. Apparently not.

A 5 year old truck should in no way have an oil pan so rusty that it's leaking. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying that whatever they coated/painted the pan with must be complete garbage.

Last edited:
I am going to make a sheet metal JB weld sandwich next. When that doesn't work, I'm going to a welder and doing what you say John.

I would advise against welding/ brazing a mounted oil pan. I know a guy who attempted it and the resulting explosion from the fumes blew the brazing torch back into his nose, breaking it and blackened both his eyes.
I also had limited success in patching the leaky oilpan on my Jeep with JB Weld.. It did slow the leaks down, but failed to stop them. Go for a new or good used pan.

My .02 would be to make do with the epoxy stuff til you can do it right ( replacement ).

At the very minimum the crankcase should be purged with CO2 before welding or brazing to avoid fire and/or explosion .

Seriously , fire is cool stuff , but not comfortable to wear .

Is the $350 from Dodge or Cummins???

Find a Cummins dealer and have them do the work...I have them do all my work when I can't do it...

Cummins is typically more competent than the DCX techs, and typically charge less per hour. Parts are typically a lot less at Cummins as well...

The stealership quoted 8.3 hours and 350 for the pan.
My research has indicated that is about right.

Drove for 300 miles. Truck sat for 2 1/2 days. Minor dribbles. No measurable oil loss. Drove back 300.
Just parked her in the drive and it looks like I may be able to get away with the bandaid for awhile. Dip stick measurement has shown no oil loss in 4 days and 600 mile. We'll see. I can't decide whether to do the expoxy sheet metal sandwich or just let it be for awhile. If all it is going to be is a few drips a night and some make-up oil, I could live with that.

I would clean thoroughly with brake or carb clean

wire brush the living snot out of it.

Clean again.

Brush some more.

then brake clean again.

mix up a LARGE batch of JB weld and thoroughly coat everything down there that might look like it could be a problem 50 years from now.

Then use several coats of rustoleum industrial spray bomb.

The key is to Get the surface as clean as possible. And then a little bit cleaner.

Rust is cancer. If there is any left it will rear it head again. don't be stingy with the JB weld. use a plastic spreader and coat everything.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
I would clean thoroughly with brake or carb clean

wire brush the living snot out of it.

Clean again.

Brush some more.

then brake clean again.

mix up a LARGE batch of JB weld and thoroughly coat everything down there that might look like it could be a problem 50 years from now.

Then use several coats of rustoleum industrial spray bomb.

The key is to Get the surface as clean as possible. And then a little bit cleaner.

Rust is cancer. If there is any left it will rear it head again. don't be stingy with the JB weld. use a plastic spreader and coat everything.
BTDT, still leaks. Have new pan ,but haven't got a round tuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back