My oil got wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

The recent heavy rains caused flooding in my area.I had 2 cases of dino oil stored in my (indoor heated) storage area which got wet. The seeping water caused the cardboard to be saturated about half way up the box and the plastic bottles of oil appeared to have condensation on them. They were in this condition for approx. 2 days before I realized it. Would this affect the oil inside the container?
PS. The bottles were never submerged in water they were really just damp from the wet cardboard.

Oil's still good. I have condensation on my stash due to wild swings in temperature and the oil is clear looking. Even if you get 1% water in your oil the PCV system will evaporate it out once it's in your motor.

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
To add an interesting thought. Say you had a bunch of water in the oil, could you put oil in glass bowl in the oven at 225f to get rid of it?

Putting oil in an oven will cause an explosion. The fumes hit the hot burner and poof. Happened at work.
frown.gif

Guys, Thanks for the responses. I guess I was wondering how porous or permeable the container is. I guess if the oil doesn't leak out the dampness can't get in.
I know I'm an oilnut when I'm more worried about my oil than the carpeting and furniture that wer ruined.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
To add an interesting thought. Say you had a bunch of water in the oil, could you put oil in glass bowl in the oven at 225f to get rid of it?

I could just see my wifes reaction if she came home and I was "cooking" a bowel of motor oil in her oven
twak.gif

The oil is still good.

The oil did not get "wet", the outside of the bottle got wet.

Water on the outside, oil on the inside. If the bottle leaked and allowed water in, how come it didn't leak before and allow the oil out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back