My Oil Gauge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally installed an oil gauge in my truck so I could watch what goes on like a true BITOG-er.
grin2.gif

Pictures are below...

When I start the engine cold I have 85 PSI at 1,000 RPM.

When the engine is fully warmed up and been driving for a while I have 65 PSI at 3,0000 RPM, and 10 PSI at hot idle of 650 RPM.

It's also lit at night and you can change the colour to match the dash board. I checked the pressure at various engine revolutions on the new gauge versus another mechanical gauge my dad has and they both match within 1/8th of a PSI.
thumbsup2.gif

Let me tell those who would like one but don't realized whats involved... It's not very easy to find adapter fittings, to run the wires and to make the connections. It involved 7 hours of work and taking parts of the dash apart to run wires.

Happy I did it though...

og1.jpg

og2.jpg

Oh, and no comments on the speed I was driving at the time...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Now all you need is an oil temperature gauge!
I was thinking about that... But I'm not really liking the idea of drilling/tapping a hole in my oil pan. Plus I would have to take a big plastic skit plate off to get to it and that' a lot of bolts/time. Not really that important to me.

Originally Posted By: cornfused
It shouldn't go down to 10psi even at a hot idle, should it?

That's normal as far as I have seen on other engines. The reason you don't see big sweeps on OEM gauges generally is because they are buffered and don't show the big changes.

Mine shows 0 PSI and starts flashing the back light and buzzes if the pressure drops below 0.5 PSI. Was pretty impressed by that feature.

The sending unit, although not stamped VDO, looks identical to one I have from the Cabriolet that I thought was bad.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
In your area, I'd expect you be worried abour cops at that speed...Is that on the 401?

127 wont get you pulled over on the 401

Will 220km on the way to london? :D let's just say thats never going to happen again. plus I get a little sketched out doing over 140 in the Duty

There is a newer rule that if you are caught doing 50 over the limit, the police will take your car from you and you get an automatic license suspension for a year and up to a $10,000 fine.

I regularly do 130/140 on the highway if it is safe to do so, weather permitting and there isn't traffic around. I always leave ample room around me should I need to slow down or move over to avoid an accident.

When I took pictures of my Oil gauge I was actually on the 407 on my way to Mississauga for a meeting. Hence the reason why you see very little traffic in the one shot at 1:30pm in the afternoon. (407 is a toll highway where you pay for every KM you drive using an electronic transponder, it can be quite expensive but makes your trip very fast in most cases and they reimburse me for it so.... I drive on it!)

I spend a lot of time on the road and know the "regular" spots for the Radar so I often slow down to a speed I know they won't pull me over with (110-120) and go with the flow of traffic and then resume my normal speed once past them.

I'm of the opinion that speed doesn't kill, stupid unsafe driving kills. I don't speed because I'm trying to prove a point but because I need to get where I'm going as quickly (and safely) as possible because time is of the essence with my work load.

In the 500K KM (300K Miles) I have done with this job alone I haven't had any accidents or close calls because of my speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
There is a newer rule that if you are caught doing 50 over the limit, the police will take your car from you and you get an automatic license suspension for a year and up to a $10,000 fine..

Gotta pay those outrageously ridiculous retired cop pensions somehow...

nice install btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back