My Newfoundland has passed

I know I've posted pictures of the old boy on here before, he was 13 on the 15th of November. He had trouble walking for the last few months (you had to help him up) and was getting weaker. He'd lost a lot of muscle mass over the last year and a couple of months ago the vet indicated that they suspected he had a tumour on his spine that was causing the mobility loss in his back end.

So, with me just out of heart surgery, the timing wasn't great, but I made a promise to myself that as soon as it looked like he was uncomfortable, I would help him along, as at that point I'd be keeping him around for me, not for him. He was starting to show that. He couldn't get comfortable and was restless at night and helping him up, it wasn't a good experience for him anymore.

So, on December 15th he was taken to the vet and passed with his muzzle comfortably nestled in the lap of my eldest, who has been a tremendous help with him as his mobility declined.

13 years is a very long life for this breed of dog, but of course it never feels long enough.

As a pup:
View attachment 82073
View attachment 82074
View attachment 82076
View attachment 82077
View attachment 82078

Enjoying a ride in the Glastron (before we had the Supra):
View attachment 82080

At the vet (his last few minutes):
View attachment 82079
Sorry it happened at such a time with all that's going on right now but there is never a good time. We are always devastated when our pets pass.

Dogs are better than people. I'm sorry for your loss. You gave him a great life and your kids had a best friend. Great breed as well.

Oh Overkill, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful creature your Newfie is. I am sure your dog is in a better place now...

Take care of yourself and heal fast.

Aww man, so sorry for your loss. Doing the right thing is hard, my dad called it Tough Duty. When the time is right the best thing to help fill the hole in your heart is another best friend. Take care and heal up.

I believe they are playing together now. In a better place.
image000000.jpg

Sorry man. A dog getting old is my main reason for not wanting to get another one. I’m already stressing putting them down or dealing with their death. I’ve got 3 young kids that want a dog badly so I’m sure we will get one or more soon. Be proud of the good life your pup had.

What joy they bring to us, they accept so much and ask for so little, we are better people because of them. So glad you had a great time with him.

Tribute to him is to get another, soon.

OVERKILL
Would it be inappropriate to share a photo I love the beautiful boy that I lost when I was just a boy, is that something that is not appropriate or would that help you.

His name was Casey and he was a Golden Retriever and he passed away when I was not there and it still hurts and it always will. I will be thinking about him a lot on this Christmas Day.

I can show a photo that was sent to me by my father we had his picture put on a Christmas tree ornament if you would like to see that just let me know.
You go right ahead, that would be just fine.

What joy they bring to us, they accept so much and ask for so little, we are better people because of them. So glad you had a great time with him.

Tribute to him is to get another, soon.
Just remember.. the dog picks his owner, not the other way around.

I will reach out to Schwinney Sr. for more Casey pics. Where I am, we have Casey's General Store. Casey is almost a sacred name to me.. I am never having any kind of experience nor patronizing a store that bears his name.

Real sorry for the loss hermano. Hope he gets a big treat from under the Christmas tree tomorrow morning when he wakes back up in the skies.

I know I've posted pictures of the old boy on here before, he was 13 on the 15th of November. He had trouble walking for the last few months (you had to help him up) and was getting weaker. He'd lost a lot of muscle mass over the last year and a couple of months ago the vet indicated that they suspected he had a tumour on his spine that was causing the mobility loss in his back end.

So, with me just out of heart surgery, the timing wasn't great, but I made a promise to myself that as soon as it looked like he was uncomfortable, I would help him along, as at that point I'd be keeping him around for me, not for him. He was starting to show that. He couldn't get comfortable and was restless at night and helping him up, it wasn't a good experience for him anymore.

So, on December 15th he was taken to the vet and passed with his muzzle comfortably nestled in the lap of my eldest, who has been a tremendous help with him as his mobility declined.

13 years is a very long life for this breed of dog, but of course it never feels long enough.

As a pup:
View attachment 82073
View attachment 82074
View attachment 82076
View attachment 82077
View attachment 82078

Enjoying a ride in the Glastron (before we had the Supra):
View attachment 82080

At the vet (his last few minutes):
View attachment 82079
This story Just ripped a piece of my heart out after seeing how awesome looking a friend you all had in your lives. I am a lifetime animal rescuer & care taker who has been affected by many we adopted or as I like to say adopted us. We have two cats now , who adpoted our family at least 13 - 14 years ago. Oh what a beautiful part of your family to have to move on without. Please rest assured that you all made the right choice with great compassion.

Back