My old cat passed

You must have been a marvelous kitty guardian to have one live for almost 30 years. My longest lived cat made it to 23.

He has been going down hill for about 6 months. He got an eye infection and nothing the vet did helped. He also ate like a horse but lost weight.

He was a great mouser and waited for me to come home and feed him. He ate a lot considering that he was missing lots of teeth for the last 15 years or so. He will be missed.

5/13/93-11/19/22. He lived 29.5 years.

I wanted to add him to the wiki with the oldest cats but can't figure out how to do that yet.

Truly sorry for your loss. I am sure he was a great part of your family to be with you so long.

You must have been a marvelous kitty guardian to have one live for almost 30 years. My longest lived cat made it to 23.
I don't think I had much to do with it. He was Norwegian forest cat. It's not uncommon for them to live to 20.

• Love
Reactions: Ws6
29 years is a lot of good memories.

My two 17-year-old cats just died within weeks of each other. They were sisters. The first one to go a few weeks ago seemed in great health and acted half her age, just a bit too plump to jump as high as she used to.

For the last months, sometimes she would meow loudly in the middle of the night. Then I'd call her name and she'd find me and seem fine. I thought she just wanted attention. It took a while to realize it might be cat dementia and having more lights on at night might help. Then one day she started staring uncomfortably long at a wall. ...hopeful me thinking she heard a mouse, realist me thinking she's not acting quite right.

Other than that she seemed fine, was personable, came jogging into the kitchen to eat her evening cat treats as usual when called, etc. Then a couple hours later she started drooling, and meowing, and staring into space like she didn't know where she was. I don't know if she could even hear or see me. That quickly turned into her looking over her left shoulder and walking left in circles. That turned into seizures, and she died in my arms.

I researched it a bit afterwards, and it could have been a brain tumor, or something I now forget that's not uncommon and the effects happen suddenly and there's very little hope of doing anything about it.

That was a few weeks ago. Her sister was never athletic and always acted older than her age. She acted even older during this last week, but that was typical for the start of winter. Then during a sunny day, she walked into the kitchen by herself, and a minute later started meowing loudly. I went to look, and she was standing there like she was lost until she saw me. I sighed and said to whatever cat gods listening, "Come on, not again so soon."

Even with that, I thought she'd have at least six more months. A couple days later, she was sitting on her favorite chair, I pet her for a while, came back an hour later, and that was it.

This post is longer than planned, but I wanted to get the cat dementia stuff in there. I wish I had known about it earlier.

I recommend having a good camera on your phone so you can take plenty of impromptu pictures of things you care about while you can.

I know life really sucks now, but be confident that he lived a good and happy life. That's the greatest gift you could have given him.

28 years is a good life. We'll be lucky to get 17 yrs out of our two Main Coons.

Ours has actually turned around, he's eating better but still mostly laying around in front of a heater to keep warm.

Still not the same but is alive and kicking. You really have to watch those emergency vets and you're lucky to have a good one, I know the one in my area has been known to misdiagnose. I have a friend that took their cat and they couldn't figure out what was wrong and didn't give it much time to live, they found another local vet to take a look and all they did was change it's diet.

Dad had ours put down today, he had gotten better after we got him home from the emergency vet and seemed like things were turning around but he started to go downhill again and mostly stopped eating and was laying around all the time with shallow breathing but basically his lungs kept filling up with fluid and eventually would drown on it's own. It's sad but she said that would rather put them down 2 weeks earlier than to let them get to that point. He was supposedly 16 but she said it's more like being equal to 100, our secretary said 80 but I haven't looked it up online to see what it is in cat years.

He has been going down hill for about 6 months. He got an eye infection and nothing the vet did helped. He also ate like a horse but lost weight.

He was a great mouser and waited for me to come home and feed him. He ate a lot considering that he was missing lots of teeth for the last 15 years or so. He will be missed.

5/13/93-11/19/22. He lived 29.5 years.

I wanted to add him to the wiki with the oldest cats but can't figure out how to do that yet.

☹Chris I'm so sorry.

I'm taking care of an elderly cat that has a sore mouth.. keeping her comfy, feeding her the food that should help it be as nutritious as she will eat (she likes sauce.) I feel for you.

Back