My New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.4 is a good engine. My son has the Accura TSX/6sp. somehow they manage to get another 40 HP out of the same engine. His engine calls for 30 wt. what does yours call for??

quote:

The 2.4 is a good engine. My son has the Accura TSX/6sp. somehow they manage to get another 40 HP out of the same engine. His engine calls for 30 wt. what does yours call for??

It calls for a 5w-20 year round. It's funny too bc in the manual it gives the temp. graph and shows the recommended viscosity is a 5w-20 throughout all temperatures.

I filled up on Sunday= $44. Today before I traded it in I was down to a quarter of a tank. Another $44 would have gone in on this comming Sunday. I didn't car pool two of the days, but I can't rely on that all the time. Should have known.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
You were unhappy with 9 mpg? What did you expect, it was a full size truck with a V-8.
grin.gif
The Honda sure will be a nice car but I could never get into driving a car after owning trucks all my life. But that's just me. Congrats on the Honda, nice ride.

My 79 GMC (350, 4:11 gears) got 11mpg. 9 sounds a little bit much.
confused.gif

I know how hard it must have been!!! I had to get rid of my Dakota because of money! I would have had to given up too much for my boys to afford to keep it. In my case I got a bare bones camry for $150 less then the Dakota was costing me. I sure am glad you like it and it will pay for itself in terms of gas money saved!

Are you sure you want to keep the OEM oil in their for 7000 mile??????? Why do not you get it out in a 1000 miles or less just to play it safe! You can always drop some Schafers in it or 1 quart of Redline and some Dino oil of your choice etc.......

Congrats on the new purchase! I would run 5w20 in it if I were you, as it seems to work very well in the new Hondas. Why not just keep it simple and go with M1 5w20, which I'm sure will be readily available everywhere pretty soon?

quote:

Congrats on the new purchase! I would run 5w20 in it if I were you, as it seems to work very well in the new Hondas. Why not just keep it simple and go with M1 5w20, which I'm sure will be readily available everywhere pretty soon?

I'm going to go with M1 5w-20. Might even just use the Honda oil a few more times.

Does anyone know who makes it? I was going to buy a quart and send off a VOA.

Thanks 427, I did look at that thread last night. Molekule said high Moly levels in these dino 5w-20's maybe because :

quote:

Paper stated that this may be the only way to produce a low-cost [relative term, mind you] oil formulation for the low viscosity, high mileage oils rewquired by many new engine manufacturers for warranty and for CAFE puposes.

This is from 2002, so I'm not sure if his opinion has changed. I want the best valtrain wear possible bc I'm keeping this car a long time.

So far I'm thinking:
Mobil 1 5w-20 in the winter, M1 EP 10w-30 summer. Or Mobil 1 R year round.

I also want to see what Amsoil comes up with around April. They are going to be reformulating their line soon. I don't think you can go wrong with any oil in this engine honestly. It's like the Toyotas we see.

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
You were unhappy with 9 mpg? What did you expect, it was a full size truck with a V-8.
grin.gif
The Honda sure will be a nice car but I could never get into driving a car after owning trucks all my life. But that's just me. Congrats on the Honda, nice ride.

The Rams are notorious for crappy MPG. It doesn't have to me that way either. My brothers 04 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 liter V-8 gets about 14 in the city and almost 20 on the highway.

Heck,even my 2500HD with the 8.1 liter big block (496 cubic inches) gets better than the Rams. I get about 10 in the city and 13 on the highway.

quote:

The Rams are notorious for crappy MPG. It doesn't have to me that way either. My brothers 04 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 liter V-8 gets about 14 in the city and almost 20 on the highway.

Heck,even my 2500HD with the 8.1 liter big block (496 cubic inches) gets better than the Rams. I get about 10 in the city and 13 on the highway.

I think it's the #1 complaint I hear about from Ram owners, other than bad transmissions.

quote:

Why didn't you go with the V-6 Copue?

That is what I originally wanted, but the price was too high IMO. I read some reviews on the 2.4L 4cylinder and 3 editors on Edmunds.com said after years of saying they would never drive another 4cyl, this one changed their mind. With a 5spd it's very nice. Smooth and plenty of power. It also gets 35mpg.

BTW, I put 200 miles on it so far and I still have 1/2 a tank of gas left!

I'm want to empty the cheap dealer gas they put in it.

I have 110,000 miles on my 98 acord w/ 2.4 and auto. Orginal timing belt,battery and so on. I got it 70,000 miles. I look foward to driving this as far as she can go.

Congratulations on the new ride Buster. It sounds nice. I'm not surprised at the mileage you were seeing with the Ram. The farmers around here who have them make the same complaints. Most of them have gone back to Fords and Chevy's and that's always one of the reasons they mention...

Buster,
Congrats and Welcome to the Honda family. I'll throw in my suggestion and take it with grain of salt. My '03 Civic has so far performed best (mpg & engine smoothness) w/ 3 Qts M1 0w20 and 1 Qt of Amsoil S2k 0w30. It currently has 2 Qts of M1 0w20 & 2 Qts 5w20 RL and is going well, but the butt dyno says it's not quite as smooth as I had before...and mpg is about 1-2 mpg avg less than best-evers. After I hit 10k OCI, I might go with what you had suggested earlier, and something I wanted to try, but opted for the M1/RL mix last OCI... and that's to go back to either a 3Qt M1 5w20 / 1Qt M1R 0w30 or 1Qt Amsoil xw30 mix. Otherwise, go for the M1 5w20 all the way!!
Great purchase and hope you enjoy it for many OCI's to come!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back