My Irene Lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

You did something scary wrong, there.

I hate to admit that I did the same thing about 25 years ago. That's why a transfer switch is required.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: andyd
I thought that I had fried the gen when I left it plugged in when power returned. All that happened was it had popped the breakers.

You did something scary wrong, there.

I'll say. Hope you didn't injure any linesmen.

No linesmen were fried in this operation. I was back feedimg through a sub panel . The Main breaker was open. The power came back on. The gen set was off but still plugged in. I was normalizing the system when this occured. No matter, next use of the gen set will be with extension cords. No more back feeding for this guy.

My neighbor has been nice and allowed me to run an extension cord from their outdoor outlet to my house. They have a whole house propane generator that kicks on automagically. The funny part when it does they are never home.

I do have a really small generator also but I can get my well working with it.

I did the extension cord thing too, twice, and that was enough for me. You really have to look at the cord guage. A lot of these cords you buy are only rated less than 20 amps. If you gen is pushing out 30 amps, and the unit your powering surges, as in a refrigerator during start up, you can fry your cord and then burn down your house. Plus, you loose a lot of efficiency by running long cords in addition to having cords all over the house and probably having to leave a door cracked open to get them inside. Could be a problem if that cracked open door is near your genset. This site has some pretty good info on hooking your genset to the house:
http://www.tcscooters.com/backfeed.htm

We fill up the bath tub and any empty bins with water. And we make sure we have plenty of drinking water. When the water treatment plant loses power or pipes break, it renders tap water unfit for consumption. Have all your important documents in something water tight and have them all together so you can just grab them when you need to flee. Sam goes for money. Also, make sure you have a safe place for your pets in case shelters won't allow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back