My Irene Lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got power back about 1900 hours on 2-sep, after losing it 27-aug 2300 hours. Single guy, no kids, no big expections. City water, 1 crank LED flashlight and an olive oil lamp, book of matches.

I'm surprised at how resourceful and frugal one can become if necessary. I went to work, Monday, in the Groton/New London area (30 miles away) and my work place had power. I brought along a gas can to get fuel for my friend's generator. It was touch and go for two days since nothing within 20 miles of the house had power. Most of the people showed up for work the whole week although MOST had no power at home.

The tidbits I learned are:

1) fuel up ALL vehicles. My friend tanked up her Saturn only to have the gearbox seal blow and render the car unusable. She did not have to work all week since her workplace is without power.

2) Crank the fridge and freezer to lower temps. I did not even think of this.

3) Crank up the hot water heater. Since I have city water, my tank supplied usable hot water until this morning. Had I set it higher I would have been ok for a few more days. Showers of cold water and a 15 second hot water rinse aren't that unreasonable, except for the undesired physiological reactions. It really sheds light on how many resources are wasted solely because they can be.

4) Have a good supply of laundered items. Did some loads in a plastic storage bin on the lowered tailgate of the B2300. Dried, thankfully, in the sun.

5) A network makes the experience easier. Lots of people at work showering @ friend's houses. I was bringing water over to a friends, 28 gallons @ a time.

All in all, since it was summer, the whole experience enabled me to create a virtually infinitely sustainable style of living that really wasn't that big of an imposition and it was a good dry run for testing one's own preparations. The town's people appeared to keep their good nature and no one seemed to panic, even when after 4 days, the center of town was still dark and no one had seen a utility truck.

Last edited:
Yeah, usually people become more friendly. Neighbors come out, and all cook on the grills, spend more time together and outside. Maybe electricity should be cut off at least for one weekend monthly? So people would socialize more in real life, not F.B.?

Those of us who have lived on the Gulf coast all of our lives can sympathize with those of you who went through Irene. We have to prepare for it every summer.

About every June I go through my checklist to get ready. Make sure the chainsaws and generators are working and fill up plenty of gas cans/cars/trucks/boats (can always siphon from on to the other), propane for the grill/fish cooker, prescription medicines filled, freeze gallon jugs of water for ice, water in containers, dry/canned food, pet food, small window A/C and LCD TV that will run off the generator, batteries for flashlights/radio,cell phones charged, tire plug kits (after Ivan debris with nails and screws were everywhere), and hit the ATM for plenty of cash before the power goes out.

To quote Jimmy Buffet (a native of Mobile, Ala), just "trying to reason with hurricane season"

Last edited:
My gf's totalled car is sitting at the body shop with a full tank of gas, minus 3 miles worth of fuel. Lesson learned: park as far away from trees as possible, even if the worst seems to be over with.

My LED Coleman lantern lasts 14 hrs, though I never had the chance to run it longer than five or six. Plugged in to my car's 12V socket, the 6V battery pack seemed to charge completely in no time. I'm very impressed with this lantern, and I'm glad I didn't cheap out and get some no-name battery hog of a lantern.

Along those lines, I highly recommend a 12VDV to 110VAC inverter. I bought a Belkin 150W inverter, which was able to charge my gf's NookColor and both of our phones (it also has two USB ports) while we drover around. A guy at work who didn't have a genny said he idled his car with a much beefier inverter running lights and other small things in his house for a bit.

Being single and without hundreds of dollars of meats and other products needing to be frozen or refridgerated, nor a sump or well pump, a generator would be a waste. Even if I had a house, I'd probably only buy a nice little Honda 2kW to run the fridge or maybe to top off the sump pump battery if necessary.

I hadn't thought about turning up the freezer and fridge, either, until some one printed and passed out a Red Cross hurricane prep flyer that mentioned it. I got power back on Tuesday, and while my fridge did get up to 50F, everything in the freezer was still solid and didn't go above 29F. Unfortunately, it seems as if the condo I'm renting shares a hot water heater. The gf and I took showers as you described, but came back to cool water later that night. I don't think my neighbors were so sparing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Maybe electricity should be cut off at least for one weekend monthly? So people would socialize more in real life, not F.B.?

i agree with this,
32.gif
the pass twenty years has made our society more disconnected than ever. I mean how many of us really know our neighbors that are 4,5 houses down either side...
21.gif

Lots of good tips here, best one being to take your car to a place far away from trees. Also, sleep in an interior part of your home until trees can be visually inspected. In Irene a guy several miles from here was killed in his sleep when a tree crushed him. Low odds but really bad outcome.

After Isabel in 2003 most of Richmond (1 million population) was out of power. We went 6 days with a 2 and 5 year old. I owned a landscaping company and was cutting wood for 3 weeks straight and came home to a cold dark shower every night. Candles flashlights and drinking water were like gold. AM radio was nice so that I could listen to when I could expect my power returned.

Couple more tips, quickly change your insurance on cars, house etc. to the max, just for day or 2. You will pay not much more in the end of month, but it worth it.
Make sure you have draft in fireplace, before winter storms, get a heat shield if your fireplace is just for decoration. Heat shield will make it useful.

Meh if a larger hurricane comes my way I'm going to board up the house and go on vacation. Cat 2 down I stay, cat 3 up I'm gone.

I think I'll fly to Vegas for a week and let them get the power back on before I return.

Everything I own is well insured so if its destroyed oh well.

Last edited:
Couple more tips, quickly change your insurance on cars, house etc. to the max, just for day or 2. You will pay not much more in the end of month, but it worth it.
Make sure you have draft in fireplace, before winter storms, get a heat shield if your fireplace is just for decoration. Heat shield will make it useful.
I don't know about where you live, but in Florida you can't buy or change windstorm insurance on your home with an immediate effective date if there is a named storm any where in the Atlantic/Gulf. There is a waiting period of something like 30 days.

I meant car insurance mostly. I have liability, so it makes sense to do it. Changed it back and forward to full before storm,last fall and during long winter trip on snowy roads. Florida doesn't get snow, but definitely has more storms...
Even if you have full coverage, it might make sense to log in to your account and check out options that you might not consider before. Like towing and rental car,might save you couple hundreds,and will cost you almost nothing for couple days.

Last edited:
If you have a gravity drain for your basement, check it. Pipes collapse, tree roots grow into the pipe, etc. Our lesson, I still have to get a plumber to check out that one (it's a long pipe).

If you have a dual sump pump system, put each pump on a separate circuit breaker. If both sump pumps are on the same circuit, and one pump fails taking out the circuit breaker, you lose both pumps. A buddy at work's lesson, but he caught it in time.

All in all, we faired OK, but it was an exciting Sunday morning!

In my area, the winds were bursty, not sustained. I have an old house (circa 1880) and by far these winds weren't even close to the duration the house has seen previously. Winter storms seems to generate sustained blasts that howl thru the rafters.

I was surprised at the destruction walking thru the neighborhood, because I perceived the wind to be "not that bad".

I will echo hatterasguy's comments; Any substantially higher category and fleeing the area is most advised. This time the customer I work for lolligagged all friday on how late Saturday they were going to work prior to the computer systems being shut down; I believe next time, they need to make a decision so measures can be taken and people can leave the area.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The tidbits I learned are:

1) fuel up ALL vehicles. My friend tanked up her Saturn only to have the gearbox seal blow and render the car unusable. She did not have to work all week since her workplace is without power.

We had a thread here on "how to tap your car". Harbor freight has a fuel pressure tester for under $10 on sale, you could buy just for the valve and hose, that could then splice onto longer hose.
Quote:

2) Crank the fridge and freezer to lower temps. I did not even think of this.

I think fridges should have a "generator mode" switch that disables the auto defrost, anti-sweat, and other gizmos unrelated to keeping the food cold. It could also make the food compartment colder than 33'F, trading risk of freezing the lettuce for a boost of cold that would last longer.
Quote:

3) Crank up the hot water heater. Since I have city water, my tank supplied usable hot water until this morning. Had I set it higher I would have been ok for a few more days.

I did this. Didn't want to burn the kids in a blackout so I did it a couple days early so I could monitor (train?) them better... if that makes any sense.
Quote:

4) Have a good supply of laundered items. Did some loads in a plastic storage bin on the lowered tailgate of the B2300. Dried, thankfully, in the sun.

I have a "ready reserve" of tattered jeans and t-shirts out of daily circulation, but not in the rag pile either. When running generators (or snowblowers) one gets stinky of gas, exhaust etc and can go through laundry pretty quickly.
Quote:

5) A network makes the experience easier. Lots of people at work showering @ friend's houses. I was bringing water over to a friends, 28 gallons @ a time.

I was the network, lending my spare HF 2-stroke generator and some oil to my BIL.
Quote:

All in all, since it was summer, the whole experience enabled me to create a virtually infinitely sustainable style of living that really wasn't that big of an imposition and it was a good dry run for testing one's own preparations. The town's people appeared to keep their good nature and no one seemed to panic, even when after 4 days, the center of town was still dark and no one had seen a utility truck.

Blackouts are way more fun when one doesn't have to worry about the pipes freezing. The aftermath couldn't have been more temperate, weatherwise.

That idea of changing your insurance on the house may not fly. Better check with your agent. In this part of the world there is a 30 day delay period before some kinds of coverage kicks in, especially when a storm is expected. For example, there is a 30 day delay before flood insurance kicks in. I think the same 30 day period applies to hurricane insurance too. YMMV.

My 25 yr old 5kw gen set hadnt been run since 05. I thought that I had fried the gen when I left it plugged in when power returned. All that happened was it had popped the breakers. But the carb needed a float and a needle and seat to run right. I fixed it Saturday, changed the oil and added a fuel shut off on Sunday. It is sitting high and dry in the front of my shed ready for the next time. During the outage, my jump box with a 100 watt inverter, was enough to run a radio.
My preparations were just doing my work laundry and putting the cars out of harm's way when the wind picked up. I was about to fill the tubs with water, but the power went out. Oh, I also refilled my meds prescription.
Being powerless, was kinda restful. Rose at dawn, worked 'til dark, read a little by flashlight.

Last edited:
Pre-fueling is almost a must if you use generators, it will give you a lot of extra storage instead of having a stash of gas containers which are very easy to steal. Invest in a better syphon pump, getting fuel in your mouth is no fun. If you have a hot tub or even a pool, fill it up before hand. May not be able to drink out of it, but you'll appreciate it with you need to flush the toilets....especially if you have women in the house. KNOW your electric system if going generator. You don't need all the breakers on but can live comfortably with a few essential ones. Get a good wet/dry shop vac.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Been there, done that! And more.

Pretty much the same.

During winter I can go the winter with a 1000 tank of propane and lots of food on hand.

I really don't keep enough gasoline on hand for long periods of time. Lack of hot water and 100 bucks worth of stuff spoiling in the fridge is just a given for me.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
getting fuel in your mouth is no fun.

If you get even a small amount in your lung you are a goner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
My 25 yr old 5kw gen set hadnt been run since 05. I thought that I had fried the gen when I left it plugged in when power returned. All that happened was it had popped the breakers.

You did something scary wrong, there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back