My front diff is contaminated with water

front diff on 2010 F50 is having milky in it . It’s been a while . My wife grand father have it before passing on to her . Now I’m trying to do complete maint to it . Owner manual call for 80w90 . I’m thinking put in Walmart super tech 75w90 . Then run it a bit the drain and fill with valvoline 75w90

since Ford front diff is so tight . Only way to take front diff off is to remove power steering rack or complete drop front diff .

I make a post here few day ago how to easy suck out old fluid . I might try turkey blast

Wonder how the water got in it? I’ve never had that happen fortunately. That’s a lot of work for a differential but definitely needs to be done. I’d only take the cover off and replace the gasket and fluid 🙂.

I think people do manage to get the cover off without removing the steering rack. It’s like a frustrating puzzle but I’ve seen it done. I haven’t changed the factory fill in the front of mine yet for this reason.

Flooded where he lived?
Some diff vent hoses aren’t very long so flood water could have gotten high enough to submerge vent hose but not enough to flood engine and trans. Suck it out and repeat several times.

Use an emulsifying GL5 marine 80w90 for a couple siphon refills before switching back to demulsifying automotive gear oil.
Yes, if you are sure that you have water, I would repeat several times with the mityvac, fluid extractor, or equivalent.

Check youtube videos as some can remove the cover without dropping diff or the rack. How creative are your mechanical skills?

Last edited:
D3EEB9C4-5555-4CFB-9C7C-80236039322F.jpeg
5183E945-8340-48EA-8D28-0A046E6BFB18.jpeg

nice! gear marking compound has a lot of other uses, btw - i have a smudge on the zero mark on my harmonic balancer, stands out like a lightning bug under the timing light!

Back