HDEO in diff, what additives play role in ep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people wanting gear oil in crank to slow leaks(not realizing that thicker than gear lube mo is easier to obtain) This is backwards.
Before the "out-of-spec" condemning nazis pop a vessel hear me out.
Reason for this seemingly stupid question is cost, of course. I have a 95 Cherokee which is not exactly stock. The point of interest is the rear end, which is a 97(?) Ford 8.8 posi. all fine and good but I have a Riddler diff cover (+>1qt) and my caster is probably + 30° over stock, if not more, making and endless oil pit. When I first installed the rear end I had (so I thought) more than enough oil. 1 qt of M1(20$) a qt of some other syn, and a half gal of Lucas OS (had to be used for something). After all that went in I had to look for more in the garage (qt80-90 house brand). And I ended up dumping 5w30 castrol (God knows how much) to try to fill...then gave up.
Anyway...Checked the oil and it looks dark and should go. Not milky though water content should be high due to mud and water play.
Changing gear lube even at 5$/qt for (pseudo)syn delo (cheapest available to me) I'm looking at a lot of coin.

Tech (overthinking comes in here) data.
Delo 75w90 gl5 sits at 106/14.9 at 40/100c...Amsoil 129.7/16.6 at 40/100.
Delo 400LE 15w40 that I can get for 12-13$ a gallon (if not less) sits at 125/15.2 at 40/100c.
With this in mind viscosity is not something I'm worried about, and for shear stability the amount should help.
My tipping point was to VOA's of gear lube.phos of 1000 give or take and >500ppm of boron.
I will be dumping the "sump" one more time to swap clutches in the near future. Any heavy water play would require an oil change as well. If this was the front diff ( and not the Heep) I'd put in whatever. I run 5w40 T6 in the tranny and it works great. Temps are even better according to my hand/shifter tempermeter (half as warm to the touch) than with GL4 (or 5 I can't tell the difference by smell that well).
I'm a skeptic. Spec made by manufacturers are made to adhere to Gooberment regulations that usually apply to the war for profit. Fuel economy I believe is an excuse to turn a 500k mile prius into a 250k mile pos (based on a complaint by taxi company correlating to the 5w-30 to 0w-20 change).
I have no clue how good the boron is as EP, but based on viscosity alone using HDEO is a no brainer.
PS: As for shear stability the Delo will go through the ultimate test -- the shared sump of my 04 YZF-R1. T6 can't handle it for long (though the "power up" was like I'm in a Super Mario game) That will probably make up my mind (at least to try it)

Last edited:
Do you have a Walmart nearby? You can get Supertech gear oil for about the same price as Diesel oil.

80w-90 is super cheap and 85w-140 is a bit more expensive.

welcome2.gif

There's no welcome banner big enough.

How would you make the delo stink of sulfur though?

THe pre 94 SAAB 900 used motor oil in the manual transmission AND diff which was one unit. I ran Mobile One in mine. Only went about 400K.

harley says u can put 2050 in the tranny. and the primary.

i would get supertech gear oil and sleep at night

The ring and pinon gears slide past each other and have a huge amount of pressure on them. A regular HDEO wont work.

You can and do use motor oils in transmissions that have gears that just roll against each other.

The real questions here are:
1. If it works A-OK, how much will you save?
2. If it doesn't work & your differential is ruined, how much will you lose?

If it was mine, I'd use gear oil. JMO.

I would suggest a reading of these two papers before I ruin my differential:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tion#Post729255

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tion#Post729255

Gear lubes have primary and secondary Extreme Pressure additives to assist the drive pinion and ring gears when the mating teeth transfer torque and slide and roll on each other.

This localized torque at the gear teeth causes heating and very high contact forces (pressures) which, without the proper lubricant, can cause tooth breakage, galling, scuffing, etc.

A motor oil has Anti-wear additives for the engine and uses lighter cuts of base oils.

A hypoid differential lubricant has Extreme Pressure additives to avoid those failures mention above, and contains heavier cuts or viscosities of base oils to provide thicker films for the increased loading.

And we haven't even discussed the differential and axle bearings and their potential failure with the use of HDEO lubes.

Last edited:
BTW, we are not NAZIS here Dyusik and that is an insulting remark, so I would not use it again.

We try to educate, suggest and the discuss the proper lubricants for the proper applications on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

A hypoid differential lubricant has Extreme Pressure additives to avoid those failures mention above, and contains heavier cuts or viscosities of base oils to provide thicker films for the increased loading.

The Ford 8.8 is a hypoid design. Trying to save a buck will end up costing plenty.

Ed

Many thanks to all the replies. And as expected the Wizard of Bob came through with enlightenment. I have no problem filling with Redline or whatever if I was not going to dump it long before it's service is up. The more you guys mention my rear blowing up the more I see the word upgrade twinkle in my eye...off roader logic. The rear end will cost me about 3 quality (RL) oci at most. I swapped in the 8.8 instead of changing a 2.99 seal on my Dana turdy-five. (upgrade). Now I'm even more curious how long the gears/oil last under such conditions. However, I will experiment when I am ready to blow it up
grin.gif
and take pictures to share. GL5 it is for now..
Thanks again!
smile.gif

If your not using gear oil in the 8.8 then your asking for trouble down the road. You already shelled out dough to weld it in and slapped a nice cover on it, why cheap out on the most critical part?

My rig's 8.8 had an aftermarket cover for only a short time. Couple of creek crossings and I'd end up dumping a large amount of oil after each trip due to water intrusion. Was a waste of oil and $. I put the stock cover back on and put a skid plate over it instead, less oil to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back