My friend's car has been overfilled for 150k+ KM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you got one person on your side HKPolice.

The attitude that you were laughing at your friend just made you come off as being smug. The fact that you might be wrong might just be the pinnacle of irony of the situation.

see this video and perhaps take a humility pill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

I think the dipstick is fine, I think it is more likely that the oil extractor somehow gets out an extra 300ml then the original owner losing the dipstick and then going out of his way to replace it with another dipstick with happens to have an incorrect marking off by .4liters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I love how the least educated people voice the most opinions. Bubbles on the dipstick means the oil is foaming from the crankshaft, but everything is still fine! Keep running for another 10k miles!

I think it's because people find it hard to believe that the oil is aerating with only that much of an over-fill. You said that he told you he saw bubbles, but also that he's a car enthusiast, so why hasn't he noticed the bubbles before?

Couple the above with the fact that he has gone so long without any apparent issue, and you'll understand why none of us is very impressed by your tale.

How do you know our level of education, by the way? Have you been keeping track of who posts what or is that a defensive reaction to everyone's even-keeled responses to something you're clearly upset over? Regardless, what a weird remark.

It's at least a 700ml overfill which is almost a quart (946ml) to you muricans. I guess no one read the story. He bought the car recently and this was the first oil change he did on it. He got 4.6L out with the oil extractor so it was already at least a 300ml overfilled before, possibly more. 300ml overfill isn't harmful but who knows how overfilled it was before he got it, because the dipstick is wrong and 5L reads full when it should be 4.3L max.

I read the story. My reply was in complete context. I don't get why you're explaining to me that the difference between 4.3L and 5L is 700mL,as if that will wring more alarm out of me.

If there were bubbles on the dipstick, how bad were they? All we have so far, is that he said there were bubbles.

If the bubbles were minor and few, then they probably didn't matter, as evidenced by the high miles (km's) prior to your friend making the purchase.

My concern with overfilling would be the PCV being overwhelmed. If the hose going into the intake is not loaded with oil, and there is no puddle in the intake manifold, I would say all is well.

If there is a puddle, well, I would clean it out, and run the proper level thereafter. Catalytic convertors are not cheap.

That much over, and the oil hits the crank? NO WAY! Don't we all drive on hills and curves.

"Bubbles" ain't pure FOAM. No harm done.

700 ml spread over the size of the oil surface probably would raise the surface maybe 1/3 to 1/2 inch? I don't see that as an issue. I would hope that much more oil would not be an issue.

Overfilling in my opinion does not cause harm if the overfilling is not extreme. The air bubbles will likely not result in too much wear as long as the oil pump exerts pressure.

This is long as the overfilling is not over a quart or so.

That said, the oil is getting thrashed, it takes energy to do that and overfilling is therefore wasting fuel.

Overfilling might result in too much oil burning which will possibly damage the catalytic converter by coating it with zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back