Bosch 3334 doesn't thread onto my son's 2012 Silverado 5.3? Rock Auto refunds my money.

My youngest son got himself a 2012 Silverado 1500 4WD with the 5.3 naturally in this market he had to overpay and search a field of rust buckets to find this one that is actually pretty decent. Sorry no photos.

The first thing that Dad wanted to do was do oil and filter change. The truck has 170K km and has been serviced, but as a solid member in BITOG, we have to start our own baseline. I ordered 3 oil filters from RA and couple of drain plug gaskets, picked up 2 jugs of SuperTech synthetic 5W30. Last week we set upon changing the oil & filter. Everything goes fine until he tries to screw on the new Bosch 3334 - partially prefilled with oil - onto the filter base..."Dad, it's not threading! " I get underneath and try and find same problem. I thought maybe the filter thread is damaged or has a piece of swarf inside? Take it back to bench and examine and I can't really see any issues. I bough 3 of these Bosch # 3334, so I try another one. Same problem.

We clean ourselves up and drive to local Canadian Tire and get a Fram TG10060, come home and try again. Perfect fit, finish the job and he's happy.

Today I go onto RA site and start my claim. Takes about 5 minutes to complete and within 1 hour I have my requested store credit. So in conclusion the guys at RA were quick and fair. That a Bosch 3334 - even 2 out of 3, I didn't try third one, is not fitting suggests the thread pitch is not what GM is set for.
Weird ? Maybe my quick no hassle treatment from RA is because I'm not the only customer with this issue.

Maybe they were fake oil filters?
Rockauto gets from pretty random suppliers(they are not a warehouse).. not like walking into napa or autozone.

I buy my 7317 Fram's from a local F&H store here and usually purchase 5 at a time for both the PathFinder and Frontier.

At oil change time I tried two out of the 5 and they wouldn't thread on. Of course I took those back for a refund.

I measured the inside diameter of the threaded area and all was right on. I checked the pitch with a gauge and the two problem children seemed to be off by half a pitch.

Tapping machinery worn? Don't know, but I have had the same experience.

Last edited:
Disappointing, but recalls for incorrect thread size or no threads at all happens periodically at work across various brands/part numbers.

Almost had same issue but I installed with a left handed monkey wrench.

J/k never had an issue with Rock other then 1x guy had an attitude when I got qty 12 PF63E not F…tried to say what’s the difference they’re identical

Back