My dieing cat, a brief history of credit and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, at 20 years old, he the big black tom, is old. He has dropped from 13 pounds of solid sinewy muscle down to about a 7 # rack of bones. Vets, just like doctors, for a lot of money give you some attention and some drugs. Basically something about pulmonary edema. I was spoon feeding him some salmon cat food mixed with anchovy paste at 4:00AM today. He hadn't eaten for a day or so and I had to put the food on his lips just to get his interest. He ate some.

Sometimes I think too much. Today it was the family finances....so basically it was the same old thing. I don't think of myself, or our family, as "average" in this department. I'd like to brag about our lack of debt, relative to others. So this is where my thoughts went....and the conclusion I came to: the relative debt thing is just as big a trap as is the big nasty plastic monster that almost ate my family. For the first ever we almost couldn't pay the credit card(S)...and that's just it, for the first time ever we were using more than one card. We paid them off, but we can buy nothing for the next two weeks. We have food stored. The other bills can wait. I am not trying to be melodramatic here, but we cut up one of the cards. Some people out there must be in serious trouble.

So what shall we do? First of all somewhere along the line, after kids came along we lost the "pay yourself first" savings religion. We just revived it this AM.

There isn't a lot of fat to cut in our budget, our biggest 3 expenses are the mortgage, taxes and medical insurance . There aren't ways to lean those a bit, and I won't go into detail, but the increases in medical insurance take away any pay raises I receive, the mortgage was refied Jan 2003 (we'll look at that), and taxes are just nasty. Property and income taxes are killing us, I have taken lots of items pretax (401K, medical savings account) and I claim 8 dependents. Property tax at over $300 month is just wrong, but there's not much I can do.

I do advise keeping a budget, no matter how un-anal you are. A VERY healthy exercise, that I just thought up this AM, is to keep and update a top 10 IMPORTANT budgetary matters list. It's amazing what brainstorming with the partner will do, and it really cuts down on surprises and nasty fights. You can believe paying ourselves first is at the top of the list.

On the third topic, I'm giving up on my Amsoil dealership. It's a drain on our budget. I can't even afford the annual dues. I am unable to pay the dues that I owe to support BiTOG, in fact to pay these expenses, I would find it necessary to go into the family funds. I am a terrible salesperson, a true failure, and honestly I can't just call and hit on people for sales. That's the only way to make an Amsoil dealership work. Web sales can work, I guess, but not for me. I thank those of you that have bought from me and to be honest, go with TS or MS - your stuff will ship rapidly out of Portland or Las Vegas anyway. Funny thing Amsoil rolled out an anti-chain store sales policy, but GI Joes still kills me here in the PNW, I mean new folks to BiTOG talk about buying from GI Joes right out of the block, convenient to them and cheaper. I won't say anything too bad about Amsoil, they really aren't pushy, certainly not like some of the big name MLM's. The killer for me is the lack of decent margin, Al makes his margin at dealer prices so he could give a rat. Anyhow, it was sorta fun and good for the cars. I really will need to hang here, because I'm really not sure what oil I'll use....
smile.gif

So the cat ate some, but he won't let the kids feed him now. He's touch and go.

Paul

sorry to hear about your cat, my cat is dieing too, she is 14, had her since she was a baby, she has cancer, she seems to be doing fine now, but her days are numbered. 20 years old is fairly old for a house cat. 16 to 17 is the norm., but they can live up to 25.

I hear you on the cat. Ours is 17 years old and very healthy, but he's skin and bones. He eats like a horse, but it doesn't do a thing. He also has some urinary tract problem that requires the use of special foods, or is urinary tract gets plugged up with deposits (sounds like I'm talking about a car engine
shocked.gif
). But it's all worthwhile: Cats are the absolute best animals ever in my opinion, cause you can leave them alone for a month with food and water and they take car of themselves. That's not to say I don't like dogs, I also have a 1.5 year old german shepard.

Good luck with the finances. Times are simply tough right now, and I just do not know what the future holds at this point
cool.gif

Pablo, If you're anything like me the cat is a member of the family. Except with me it's my dogs. Those who haven't been there won't understand. I've been there. I now have two Chows and one American Eskimo. The male Chow is 11 years old, which is pretty far along for that breed. He's not sick but his age is showing.
Taxes could be controlled at the ballot box if the people only would do so. In my city a number of years ago we had a mayor that pushed through some very unpopular taxes in spite of heavy public demand that he desist. At election time a candidate ran against him on the promise of rolling his taxes back and won handily. The tax mad ex-mayor has run in every election since and remains solidly defeated. He ran for governor and was soundly defeated. His heavy hunger for more taxes has hung around his neck ever since.
Now, all the Democrats are running on a platform of taking away the recent income tax decreases we've been granted by the present administration. Voters ought to pay attention. The more money politicians have the more they spend. They never have enough, especailly those on the Left.
I have never used Amsoil but I have spoken well of it and my brother is now using it.
Give that cat a hug for me.

Pablo, Hang in there we have all been through it, I can remember a time in my life when my pay check was spent when I got. The first thing I had to learn was to quit buying on credit, junk that losses its value before its paid for. Now I use the credit system to my advantage. Get a credit card with a cash back feature and pay the bill off every month, I use my card to buy a walmart gift card, then use it to by gas at a 3 cent a gallon discount. Wealth Without Risk by Charles J. Givens is a good book, not all of it works for everyone. Stay away from anything by him after that including his home study courses. His first book is mostly common sense. The schools and colleges in this country teach one how to make money but not how to wisely spend money. Sorry to hear about your cat, we lost a solid gray american short hair a few years back, he was big and in charge. We now have a black and white short hair, he's in charge too. "To a dog we are family, to a cat we are staff."

[ February 08, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

Pablo,

You are a responsible stand-up guy and there aren't enough of these anymore. Unfortunatly this means you'll never win the DemocRAT nomination for President.
grin.gif

I hear you on the sales thing. When I was a starving college student I did it for a while. I HATED every second of it. Now I get paid for what I know and this lets me be my natural A-holeish self and I sleep well at night.

My 2 cats are 10 but the 2 year old Malamute drives them so crazy I can't see them living until 20....

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

GSV, I hear you on the sales jobs. Some people can do it and live with themselves, I can not. I actually worked for a while selling vacuum cleaners that cost $2600 bucks. It wasn't door to door, we had leads, but it quickly became a joke, and I basically am a natural A-hole as well. It's my inner-disposition I guess. On my last sales pitch, I just let it go and told the people how f-in stupid tghey would be to buy a $2600 vacumm from the short sided sell at all cost schmuck I worked for. It was quite funny actually, I stayed and shot the **** with these people for about 2 hours after that and had a grandiose time talking real-life, and not sales culture BS.
cheers.gif

Sorry about your cat. My family has four house only cats that are declawed and very close members of the family. They are very loyal to us and very well taken care of. I do understand your pain. I lost a stray to heartfailure a few years ago.He was very sick and the wife and I tried to nurse him back but it just did not work. Hang in there with the others things and have faith in the lord. We will pray for you. Ryan

Yea..Hang in there. I don't have animals now , but when I was young we had a dog who had cancer. I remember my dad said that it was time for him to go and that was that-pretty straight forward
frown.gif
. My parents being old farm folks-have a different perspective on animals. Spending that time and money on an animal was just totally foreign to them (and I guess also to me now
frown.gif
). I certainly feel your pain-but I guess its just really hard for me to appreciate what you are going through. Good luck with the cat.

And BTW I do happen to like cats (I have had 4 in the past) 3 got run over and I had to put one out of its misery. Cats are quite cool.

As far as money difficulties. I have been somewhat blessed-having no divorce and a wife that is very frugal. I (we) never had a budget. We knew just two things. We could never have a credit balance to owe. And we knew we needed to save 10 to 20 % of each paycheck. Perhaps a budget would have been a good way to go. O well-too late now
smile.gif
Hang in there Pablo. Glad you are staying on the board-you have a lot to offer.
cheers.gif

Al

Pablo, best of luck with everything. Selling a unique product that isn't for everyone's use is tough.

If you want to make money selling, the easiest route is selling items that women buy. Men are a tough sell.

Thanks guys. You are the best!

A couple things. MY credit is not out of control, it just nearly got so. We never paid any finance charges, just almost this go around, hence the close to the edge part. What I should have written: "For the first ever we almost couldn't pay the credit cards....full balances"

I'll have my Amsoil dealership until the end of March.

The cat isn't getting better...but we are not taking extreme measuring.

All the best, I'll be here, because lubes remain a passion and a study, no matter what!

Pablo, I think you are going through what a lot of Americans are also finding. Real wages are not keeping up, small business margins get slimmer and slimmer and uncontrolled healthcare takes a bigger chunk from individuals and businesses. There are no easy solutions. I used to do sales and it's a tough business. Don't get down on yourself. A salesman is only one part to a company's overall marketing plan. If the company is not doing it's part to see that it's people succeed then that's not your fault. I found you have to like sales to really do well at it. A lot of it is a one second first impression. If your heart's not in it then that comes out quickly. People are funny like that, no second chances. I hope things go better for you. Anyone that can express those feelings for a cat is a decent individual.

Almost forgot some numbers without giving too much away: I pay over $2000 per month in taxes
mad.gif
(that's total taxes; income (Fed only WA state doesn't have income tax), property, sales, etc). By far the largest single expense we have!!!!!

Al, I've never had a divorce and I do have a budget
lol.gif
maybe I was really unclear!!! I was just passing on some advice. Basically even with a budget and discipline credit cards are just evil
blush.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Pablo, if you only saw my credit card debt. I'm 27 and my wife and I fight on finances all the time. I am VERY concerned about our debt. My wife for the last 2yrs has been attending Cornell University and racked up 60k in loans. I have about 4k on my credit cards and she has about 8k. She is planning on going to medical school in the fall of 05. Between now and then we are switching gears into debt reduction mode. I have no savings right now and my wife is looking for a new job. Unfortunately research positions don't pay too well.
frown.gif
Don't mean to rant but I feel your pain. I must get this situation taken care of or we are in serious trouble. I can't do UOA's anymore either and really have to cut back on this oil hobby. I'm very conservative when it comes to spending but my wife isn't. She is comming around though and starting to do a nice job. 99% of all my stress is related to DEBT. I'm sick of it.

[ February 08, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Al, I've never had a divorce and I do have a budget
lol.gif
maybe I was really unclear!!! I was just passing on some advice. Basically even with a budget and discipline credit cards are just evil
blush.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

I wasn't implying you had a divorce. I guess I just threw that in as a point that
Divorce =Finalcial Armagedan (and that's putting it mildly
lol.gif
)

Buster - interesting thing, and I know it won't make you feel much better, but even with those numbers, you are below the average American! Personal debt is staggering.....if suddenly we all started saying no to the credit companies, we would all be better off. I would personally think that my hard earned money is better going for some manufactured goods (even if from China
tongue.gif
) than just a cc company earning 18%!!!

OK AL, phew....I had to go check and see if the wife had filled out some paperwork or something
nono.gif
lol.gif

needtoknow, thanks man....

pablo, as a matter of course i don't give financial advice. i hope things turn around for you on that front.

we had to switch our cat's diet a few years ago because he had some trouble controlling his bowels. i was convinced at the time that he was ill and going to die.

pets have always been members in my family, and it's a personal tragedy when one dies.

i wish nothing but the best for you and your family.

Pabs, I can't speak to the pet issue in a very sensitive way, grew up on the Farm where animals are like motor oil, a commodity.
dunno.gif

I can relate to the US family barely making it. When we married in 1979 I was making $400 a month and take home was $300. No she didn't marry me for the $$$. WE learned then the difference between needs,wants,and desires. We paid for the needs and thats it. I also learned then that my tithe was a key to financial success as it shows by action that I trust God to take care of us more than my ability to pay my own way. Paying a tithe on that crummy pay was tough but we always could pay the bills and needs, even periodic wants, no desires until years later !

My Brothers and Sisters in Christ would slip me a $20 bill periodically or ask us over for dinner frequently and that made a big difference. We need that kind of relationship between people again. I see BITOG as that kind of place too. It is a really good feeling to be on the helping end of the stick when so many helped me in the past.

It was years before I made a reasonable income. Americans are the worst in the world at denying themselves and running lean on a budget because we compare ourselves to each other and buy on time. I have found that if you can handle a small amount of money then when you have an abundance you can handle that too.

Americans really under estimate their worth in work,time,expertise, and sweat equity. Most of us have been handed the benefits of material things and benefits by the blood sweat and tears of the unions and workers from times past. We rode their coat tails and now wonder why things are so tough as we watch good wages and benefits head to the top of the corporate feeding chain. We are left with crummy little 401Ks that are being traded on overnight so the weasels can steal a little more from you.
We don't vote, join or actively engage in a union, or value ourselves and familys enough to get tough when advocating for the same.

Heres the really irritating kicker, the tax and financial burden you are sharing here affects how much you can help others and limits your ability to take care of your own family and Cat. I never liked the idea of that kind of slavery so if I haven't got the money for something I have learned not to buy it ( believe it or not the daughters and Wife adhere to that too).

When it comes to business, IMHO you are making a good decision to drop Amsoil for the reason of poor margin.To make money in MLM you don't sell product you get others to sell it for you. If you can't get others to join in the downline you are smalltime and probably giving AJ way too much for free. I was once a dealer myself.

If you are in business and the near term has no profit in site you are being used by somebody and need to switch to a business that makes a profit. I learned on the Farm at a young age to trade Horses, and you never just traded straight, you always take some "boot".

Pabs you are a smart fellow and looks like you may need to detune the living expenses by cutting back. Medical expenses will kill you, I have experienced that too, at age 3 my middle girl came down with type 1 Diabetes and nearly died. She was hospitalized for nearly 2 weeks and I had 0 medical insurance. My former church in NC sent us a check for nearly $2000 and that carried us a long way. That debt was paid off after 20 years.

You are a blessed and smart fellow, find that body of Christ that shows they believe by action and meet the needs, cut the fat, even if fat to your neighbor looks like a necessity ! Consider changing jobs to one that pays a decent wage with benefits. Plan now for the future as what you plant today will blossom later when you need it.

If I even come close to having to go into debt I get very uncomfortable. I love the freedom of not owing anything. Some laugh at my rusty old '87 Grand Am, but it costs $650 CDN per year to insure, I've averaged about $375 a year in maintenance for the six years I've had it (including oil changes, tires, etc.) and it's never left me stranded. It also has the added benefit of scaring away highly materialistic women! I'll probably buy a new car someday, but only when I can buy it with cash and still have leftovers. I take great comfort in the idea that if I lost my job tomorrow, I could get by for a year or two without working. I'm not wealthy in any way, just cheap and single. It all depends on priorities though. Some people are uncomfortable with debt, while some are uncomfortable with the appearance that they don't have lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back