Trained House Cats

GF trained a cat we got years ago. Darn thing must have been smart, never seen anything like it before!

It loved playing with small rubber snakes. First off she got him trained to play fetch. Cat would do it until he wore you out. Pitch snake across room, cat would bring it back to you.
Hang it up on top of a cabinet about 5' high with the tail hanging off. He would look at it, wiggle his back side, then jump up and bat it off.
Then she taught it to lay down and roll over on command. Pretty funny stuff to watch!
rofl.gif

She must have had a good relationship with him. I had some success with a stray we invited in, but not like you 2. I would say the average cat isn't any dumber than the average dog.

She must have had a good relationship with him. I had some success with a stray we invited in, but not like you 2. I would say the average cat isn't any dumber than the average dog.
She was not a cat person until we got him. She only had dogs before. But she soon fell in love with him!:D
Then she started the training. All visitor's really got a kick out of her and that cat.

GF trained a cat we got years ago. Darn thing must have been smart, never seen anything like it before!

It loved playing with small rubber snakes. First off she got him trained to play fetch. Cat would do it until he wore you out. Pitch snake across room, cat would bring it back to you.
Hang it up on top of a cabinet about 5' high with the tail hanging off. He would look at it, wiggle his back side, then jump up and bat it off.
Then she taught it to lay down and roll over on command. Pretty funny stuff to watch!
rofl.gif
Growing up and currently I've had cats which will fetch with little to no training. I can't say the same for my golden retrievers who would've rather had me give chase when they had whatever toy in their mouth.

I always kinda wanted to train our cats to use the toilet but I think they're too old now.

There used to be a traveling cat circus but I think they closed their doors due to Covid.

My cats have me well trained to keep them fed and pampered.

And if any mouse enters the house, it is doomed.
Tigger will try to murder intruders regardless of size. Spiders, guests' dogs, a plumber, etc. I have felt his claws and sleep with a 45 under the pillow. ;) Smokey is a lover, not a fighter. He is disgusted by the occasional spider and is a bit of a squeamish eater. I have my doubts about him.

Last edited:
I 'have' two feral cats that follow me around the yard in the morning. It's one of my daily routines to first walk the parameter and pick up sticks. One cat a female is really friendly and fixed. It was someone's cat but not a house cat. Stays in the garage overnight and when the weather is bad. She likes to be around when I do stuff outside as long as no noisy stuff.

And then an old grump male that thinks he owns the place. He's been around about 6 years but it's only been the last two where he is somewhat domesticated. Though he still roams the neighborhood and comes back all beat up. When I pick up the sticks he thinks it's so I can scratch his back with one. Coos like a pigeon when I do.

It's pride . George Carlin " Ever see a cat race across a carpet and crash into a glass door " . Cat , " I meant that , I meant that , I meant that . That's exactly how I wanted that to look ." . Classic !

Last edited:
Lucky for me that the Wife is allergic to cats...she can't even be in someone's house who has cats for more than 10 minutes...I consider it one of her more endearing traits.

My cats have me well trained to keep them fed and pampered.

And if any mouse enters the house, it is doomed.

We have 4 cats and only the one youngest is a mouser. Lucky for me too as ever since moving the to the country and surrounded by fields those little buggers found an opening. She eventually got "smart" with it though and any time I tried to take the mouse away she would run from me with the mouse. Nothing like trying to run through the house at 5am chasing a cat trying not to wake up anybody :ROFLMAO:

She was not a cat person until we got him. She only had dogs before. But she soon fell in love with him!:D
Then she started the training. All visitor's really got a kick out of her and that cat.

And you, are/were you a cat person? I like that cats don't do this stuff freely or out of instinct, so getting that connection with them is so much more rewarding. And, if it's an inside/outside cat they are generally not demanding of your time

And you, are/were you a cat person? I like that cats don't do this stuff freely or out of instinct, so getting that connection with them is so much more rewarding. And, if it's an inside/outside cat they are generally not demanding of your time
I grew up with cats, her with dogs. We both worked days and a dog would not work out.
So I suggested we get a cat. That turned her into a cat person too! ;)

Trained cats?

Our cats have us trained. The oldest will come and stand on you in the bed when she deems it's time for her wet food. It might be 4:00 am, it might be 7:00 am. She will also sit on the ledge in the bathroom nearly every morning when we are getting ready and "talk to us" about the same subject.

The younger cat will come up at nearly the same exact time in the evenings when we sit on the couch and place one paw on an arm, TELLING you that it's time to pay her some attention. She will also get on a specific corner of the bed in the evenings when we are getting ready for bed, so she can 'swat' at me as I walk by and demand scratching on her while she rolls around on that area of the bed.

I had a big old Tom cat once. Must have weighed 20 LBS. He would want to get on my chest to sleep.
Too much weight, I could hardly breath! :D

Trained cats?

Our cats have us trained. The oldest will come and stand on you in the bed when she deems it's time for her wet food. It might be 4:00 am, it might be 7:00 am. She will also sit on the ledge in the bathroom nearly every morning when we are getting ready and "talk to us" about the same subject.

The younger cat will come up at nearly the same exact time in the evenings when we sit on the couch and place one paw on an arm, TELLING you that it's time to pay her some attention. She will also get on a specific corner of the bed in the evenings when we are getting ready for bed, so she can 'swat' at me as I walk by and demand scratching on her while she rolls around on that area of the bed.
At 4am, if I have not left wet food out at bedtime, my more aggressive Bengal cat will meow, jump on the bed, head butt me, etc, and if I do not respond in a timely manner, crawls under the covers and bites my toes. That will usually get me up.

You didn't mention what field your girl friend works in. But by the sounds of your posts in this thread, your girl friend has a talent for training cats and the good professional trainers make excellent money...... some even set-up shop under their nose and work from home.

A friend has a cat that will play fetch with rubber bands or hair ties. I can sling shot it across the room and that cat will grab it and bring it back every time. I’ve never seen a cat do that before

Wife has a cat that will do numerous "tricks" for a treat. Sit, shake, lay down, beg by rubbing his head, and spin in a circle on command...as long as you have a treat in hand. We adopted him from the local shelter at about 5 months old and he came with a voracious food addiction.

Back