My dad bought a 2017 F150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
On a 20" wheel you have to get to a 35" tall tire to have more sidewall than the height of a curb. That is my definition of having enough sidewall on a 4x4 truck. If you cant touch a tire to a curb without risk of scratching the wheel its not enough.

That's your opinion. Maybe you should tell all the manufacturers to stop putting 20 inch wheels on trucks. I bet they will laugh.

On a 20" wheel you have to get to a 35" tall tire to have more sidewall than the height of a curb. That is my definition of having enough sidewall on a 4x4 truck. If you cant touch a tire to a curb without risk of scratching the wheel its not enough.

Unbelievable.......... there are 20" tires you can by that have "so called" sidewall protectors so the wheel won't hit parallel to the curb. Hitting a curb any other way should entail going back and taking a refresher course in Drivers Ed........

Last edited:
I'm just saying a 20" wheel doesn't leave much sidewall. I know they are popular, and even some trucks have 22" wheels. I didn't want to get rid of my 20" GMC snowflake wheels so i had to go bigger on the tire. Now i have the wheels i like and the sidewall too.

The "wheel protector" tire designs only sometimes work. Curbs, potholes, offroad obstacles, lots of things can scratch up a wheel pretty easily with or without those aggressive sidewall patterns.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
26mpg

LOL yeah ok

Just run max air pressure in tires, accelerate with 5% of engine power or less, go no faster than 50 mph, only drive when its not too hot or too cold, and avoid anything other than flat ground without any stops. 26 MPG!

Hey, my 2016 f150 in as heavy of a configuration as possible delivered over 24 mpg. (Over 1 36 gallon tankfull). Never drove faster than 60 on that one, so possible, but not the norm.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Hey, my 2016 f150 in as heavy of a configuration as possible delivered over 24 mpg. (Over 1 36 gallon tankfull). Never drove faster than 60 on that one, so possible, but not the norm.

My how trucks have changed. I manage about half that in my 01 Suburban.

Last edited:
26mpg

LOL yeah ok

Just run max air pressure in tires, accelerate with 5% of engine power or less, go no faster than 50 mph, only drive when its not too hot or too cold, and avoid anything other than flat ground without any stops. 26 MPG!

Indeed. One summer I was able to milk out 21 mpg in a Tundra of all things by doing that. Last two tanks were kissing 22 mpg! These days I'm 16-17 mpg in mixed usage under a normal right foot and at normal speeds and with non-LRR tires (some mild ATM's and then winter tires, depending on the season).

I saw your Accord coupe in the garage
smile.gif
What oil and filter combination do you use?

Congratulations on the truck, sure is a looker. I have thought about a new truck, On it's best day my 05 Chevy 5.3 gets 14 MPG and isn't very powerful. I go days without driving it, so don't really need a new one. I sure do like the mileage and horsepower of the newer models. SIL's 3.5 Ford will run rings around my truck and get much better MPG doing it.

Update:
I got into using ForScan on a couple Fords and it's a neat program. I disabled the auto Start Stop feature on his truck because it is very annoying and he doesn't sit in traffic idling the engine anyways.

Originally Posted by supton
26mpg

LOL yeah ok

Indeed. One summer I was able to milk out 21 mpg in a Tundra of all things by doing that. Last two tanks were kissing 22 mpg! These days I'm 16-17 mpg in mixed usage under a normal right foot and at normal speeds and with non-LRR tires (some mild ATM's and then winter tires, depending on the season).

I've averaged 32.1 MPG on my Z71 Silverado for a 50 mile stretch. 19.9 MPG over the lifetime of the vehicle. IMO most people don't know how to drive. Either drivers are hypermileing which isn't good for the engine or always on a pedal either gas or brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back