My childhood home is torn down

Last week I went back to Hong Kong to visit friends and family, and found that the roof top metal shack I used to live in was torn down along with most others on the same building (10/F of a residential tower with no elevator on the mountain top). I just realized after it is torn down how "small" it actually was, like only 300 sqft including bathroom and kitchen (it was a studio).

Despite feeling a bit sad I think it is a good call. This thing isn't safe in typhoon, #8 would be ok but those once every 10 year #10 can rip part of the roof off.

6B32A396-013C-4FEC-A655-827E3600E1FC.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the past thread

I am surprised its not gone long time ago seeing how quickly HK changes. where in HK is this?

I am surprised its not gone long time ago seeing how quickly HK changes. where in HK is this?
Housing has notoriously been substandard in HK. 300 square feet is quite a large space - there used to be apartments where people lived in small capsules.

Wow. Great to get some insight as to how other parts of the world live from someone who lived it. Are they tearing the entire building down or just removing the rooftop units?

Housing has notoriously been substandard in HK. 300 square feet is quite a large space - there used to be apartments where people lived in small capsules.
It is not THAT bad. I know the coffin house/capsule hotel thing is famous, but most families still live in 2-3 bedroom apartments that are 300-600 sqft at least. Coffin house is like the housing of last resort before homeless, it fills a need in society instead of saying either you live in a nice apartment or you are sleeping on the street. The US housing code prevents such stop-gap solutions.

Wow. Great to get some insight as to how other parts of the world live from someone who lived it. Are they tearing the entire building down or just removing the rooftop units?
Just the roof top units. The entire building is aging but will likely last another 30-40 years until the land is worth more. Currently most 6/F and lower buildings are torn down to rebuild into 60/F+ units like this:

1679463446494.jpeg
1679463464386.jpeg

It is not THAT bad. I know the coffin house/capsule hotel thing is famous, but most families still live in 2-3 bedroom apartments that are 300-600 sqft at least. Coffin house is like the housing of last resort before homeless, it fills a need in society instead of saying either you live in a nice apartment or you are sleeping on the street. The US housing code prevents such stop-gap solutions.
As usual, one should not believe Western mass media...

Back