My brother asks me 2009 135i or 2014 Copper Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said 2014 Base Copper. Because the 135i that he picked is a 2009 with 55K on clock. Stick shift preferred. I vote for 2014 copper 1.5. He said BMW gives him better value bcs its a real BMW not a 1/2 a$$ BMW. What do you think? Maintenece is the main factor; 2nd factor is fun to drive; 3rd is $ (cost to buy).

I've not read good things about the Mini's reliability. Have known two people with newish ones (2010 S, and 2008 base) and both had perpetual repair trips, and swore to never buy another.

The motor in that BMW is pretty solid and is their new workhorse, powering vehicles in the 1-5 series, the Z4, X1, and X5.

You mean Cooper, right?

The BMW offers RWD, but is used.

Both are small cars.

Both can be fun.

Tough choice. I'd probably go for the used BMW because it's RWD and has the I6, assuming the car and money is right.

Usually, you can get more car with more options going used.

What is the feature level on the 135i vs the base Mini Cooper?

Back in 2009, those 3-liter turbo engines were suffering from HPFP issues. If the HPFP has been corrected on this particular 135i that he's looking at, I'd go for it, personally. I'm just not a fan of the Mini's interior or exterior for that matter.

But really, he needs to drive both back to back and decide for himself. From a reliability/maintenance perspective, it's a [censored] and no clear winner, IMO.

IIRC BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP and the wastegates on the N54/N55 motors to 80,000 miles.
I'd definitely go with the 135i. I really want to like the Mini, but the car has become to "cute" for its own good. Want a nippy small hatch? Get a 500 Abarth or a Fiesta ST...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Back in 2009, those 3-liter turbo engines were suffering from HPFP issues. If the HPFP has been corrected on this particular 135i that he's looking at, I'd go for it, personally. I'm just not a fan of the Mini's interior or exterior for that matter.

But really, he needs to drive both back to back and decide for himself. From a reliability/maintenance perspective, it's a [censored] and no clear winner, IMO.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
IIRC BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP and the wastegates on the N54/N55 motors to 80,000 miles.
I'd definitely go with the 135i. I really want to like the Mini, but the car has become to "cute" for its own good. Want a nippy small hatch? Get a 500 Abarth or a Fiesta ST...

The HPFP issue was long since resolved and certain component warranties were extended. The only known problem with that motor (from what I've read) is that they tend to overheat quickly on the track.

The BMW Cooper isn't a "half-***" BMW. But it is front-drive, and despite the styling and general practicality, I'd go for the rear-drive any day unless its going to be a winter car in snow country.

The BMW sounds more appealing, but I'm going to imagine that the Mini will be less fuss and lower operating costs over the long term while still being fun to drive.

I'd go with the BMW personally. Better engine, nicer styling, and an interior layout that doesn't make me throw up in my mouth. (Massive center speedometer, wth Mini)?

BMW is hands down the better choice. Mini has had terrible reliability and high maintenance costs.. lots of problems. Not saying BMW is perfect, but its definitely better between these 2.

BMW for sure. JHZR2 has a 1-series and I believe he's had great luck with it
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
an interior layout that doesn't make me throw up in my mouth. (Massive center speedometer, wth Mini)?

.....and then there's this, which is probably the #1 reason why the Cooper S wasn't in the running when I chose my GTI.

My vote is for the BMW. Add an oil cooler and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The HPFP issue was long since resolved and certain component warranties were extended.

I know the warranty has been extended, but what happens after the warranty expires and the HPFP fails again? Last I heard, BMW never figured out how to make this particular HPFP reliable. They just kept replacing them with the same part as they failed. Their solution was to finally discontinue the N54 engine and replaced it with N55, which took place in 2011 for the 135i, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what exactly they changed, but I have not heard of any HPFP issues with the N55 engine.

Are you saying there finally was a complete HPFP redesign for the N54 engine and that it's now reliable? If so, that's great news. I might get a used 335i at some point.

Cooper will handle much better. The 135i is a beast with over 300 hp, but reports from owners are that it doesn't handle as well as you would expect.

Remember the 135i drivetrain, engine, suspension were essentially lifted off the 335i. HPFP on the n54 is warrantied for 120k miles/10 years. They finally figured out how to prevent low mile catastrophic failures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
BMW for sure. JHZR2 has a 1-series and I believe he's had great luck with it
thumbsup2.gif

I love mine but it does have a slightly different engine. The N55 has a different turbo and should have a more recent iteration of the HPFP. Because the fuel pumps have been warrantied, and newer versions are available I wouldn't be that concerned. But I'd also not want the liability so I would at least want to have money towards the replacement hassles. The electric water pump is another area of concern.

If I was trying to make a deal I would want both to be replaced before I got the car.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
They finally figured out how to prevent low mile catastrophic failures.

Great news. Any links to the source of this info?

Thanks guys. So many valuable opinions. Can someone pls share the "fix" from BMW. That fuel pump is scary.. Thanks again folks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back