My brother asks me 2009 135i or 2014 Copper Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Thanks guys. So many valuable opinions. Can someone pls share the "fix" from BMW. That fuel pump is scary.. Thanks again folks..

The pump was revised.

1 series = cool

Mini Cooper= Small car, small power, big price, small reliability?

I'd gladly take a Focus ST over a mini cooper, or Fiesta ST if super small is actually wanted.

Or even wiser, Accord LX 6MT, smidge above $20k and you get a powerful engine and near zero maintenance. Solid 179 wheel hp on a stick accord, on regular gas, for cheap. +2k for the sport package is worth considering.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I might get a used 335i at some point.

make it a 335is
wink.gif

They're very, very different cars in everything from design to purpose, so I am not going to compare the two fully as it would take pages upon pages. However, as some of you know/can tell, I spend a lot of time around BMW's, but I have driven quite a number of MC's and even raced one for three events.

The 135i is a heavier car than you would think, but it is still 300lb lighter than the 335i. The N54 is a great engine, and it will make more power for less money than the N55, and with the money you save buying a slightly older MY, equipped with an N54, you can upgrade the "trouble" parts with any one of a number of extremely strong aftermarket ones, although I would not buy any car that hadn't had every single recall/TSB attended to and the documentation to prove it.
From the N54 cars I've dyno'd, every single one STOCK shows that BMW vastly underspecced the power output, with 300 REAR WHEEL HP and over 300rwtq being fairly common.

I would recommend anyone who enjoys driving the car properly set aside money for the following, if you want the engine to last...
- Upgraded oil cooler and possibly transmission cooler
- Upgraded intercooler and New hosing

The two most fun upgrades overall (ignoring my usual "don't touch a darn thing until you have the entire suspension and brakes perfectly setup!" rule of building a Bimmer)...
- Combination of intake, downpipe, and tuner (AFE CAI, Cobb catless, and Cobb tuner), good for a solid 370-410rwhp and if bought as a package, less than two grand while not taking a single bit of life off the engine
- Quaife or OS Giken limited slip differential in a ratio appropriate to your needs; I swear, the entire car changes its personality with the addition of an LSD, making it possible to utilize the entirety of your power band effectively, and properly get on the throttle in a corner

The Mini is a fun, tossable, and very efficient car. I am 6'3" and I find it comfortable with headroom to spare. The greenhouse offers excellent visibility, and the car is extremely predictable and communicative.
I wouldnnever recommend a non S, the base doesn't have any advantage and loses a lot of power.

I am very much NOT a fan of FWD (or AWD), but the Cooper S 6mt is one of the few ever made that I absolutely enjoy and don't even notice that it is driven by the wrong wheels.

Regardless, with these cars, I am going to say now that if you are not willing to be extremely proactive about maintenance, above and beyond anything recommended by BMW, then you should look elsewhere.
There are points in the cars life where you will spend thousands to replace parts that haven't failed, but do it regardless of how you feel on the issue, and honestly, get upgraded aaftermarket parts whenever available as many of them are either permanent, one time replacements, and/or they have lifetime warranties that are actually upheld without a single issue.

Budget $2500 a year for maintenance, most years you won't utilize anywhere close to it, but you should not ever be in the position where you go "I can hold off on that a bit longer", because repairing is going to cost you a fair bit more.

I would spend at least a month before buying a German car, you need to know the issues known and the prevention measures.

FWIW, a modern Mercedes is not only more expensive to operate, they break and they do it spectacularly.

What he said. The 135i is a great little car to drive - the engine is a key part of this - it feels almost ridiculously strong in that car due to the torque at any speed. Improve it and it will only get better.

My dad had a Mini Cooper S for a bit, it was fun - but not in the same league as the BMW. The BMW is a bit heavy, but it still handles very well. The tranny in the BMW is better IMO as well.

My only fear is the N54, which has supposedly been much improved since my brothers '08 335i. Even with its issues I would choose the BMW.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
They're very, very different cars in everything from design to purpose, so I am not going to compare the two fully as it would take pages upon pages. However, as some of you know/can tell, I spend a lot of time around BMW's, but I have driven quite a number of MC's and even raced one for three events.

The 135i is a heavier car than you would think, but it is still 300lb lighter than the 335i. The N54 is a great engine, and it will make more power for less money than the N55, and with the money you save buying a slightly older MY, equipped with an N54, you can upgrade the "trouble" parts with any one of a number of extremely strong aftermarket ones, although I would not buy any car that hadn't had every single recall/TSB attended to and the documentation to prove it.
From the N54 cars I've dyno'd, every single one STOCK shows that BMW vastly underspecced the power output, with 300 REAR WHEEL HP and over 300rwtq being fairly common.

I would recommend anyone who enjoys driving the car properly set aside money for the following, if you want the engine to last...
- Upgraded oil cooler and possibly transmission cooler
- Upgraded intercooler and New hosing

The two most fun upgrades overall (ignoring my usual "don't touch a darn thing until you have the entire suspension and brakes perfectly setup!" rule of building a Bimmer)...
- Combination of intake, downpipe, and tuner (AFE CAI, Cobb catless, and Cobb tuner), good for a solid 370-410rwhp and if bought as a package, less than two grand while not taking a single bit of life off the engine
- Quaife or OS Giken limited slip differential in a ratio appropriate to your needs; I swear, the entire car changes its personality with the addition of an LSD, making it possible to utilize the entirety of your power band effectively, and properly get on the throttle in a corner

The Mini is a fun, tossable, and very efficient car. I am 6'3" and I find it comfortable with headroom to spare. The greenhouse offers excellent visibility, and the car is extremely predictable and communicative.
I wouldnnever recommend a non S, the base doesn't have any advantage and loses a lot of power.

I am very much NOT a fan of FWD (or AWD), but the Cooper S 6mt is one of the few ever made that I absolutely enjoy and don't even notice that it is driven by the wrong wheels.

Regardless, with these cars, I am going to say now that if you are not willing to be extremely proactive about maintenance, above and beyond anything recommended by BMW, then you should look elsewhere.
There are points in the cars life where you will spend thousands to replace parts that haven't failed, but do it regardless of how you feel on the issue, and honestly, get upgraded aaftermarket parts whenever available as many of them are either permanent, one time replacements, and/or they have lifetime warranties that are actually upheld without a single issue.

Budget $2500 a year for maintenance, most years you won't utilize anywhere close to it, but you should not ever be in the position where you go "I can hold off on that a bit longer", because repairing is going to cost you a fair bit more.

I would spend at least a month before buying a German car, you need to know the issues known and the prevention measures.

FWIW, a modern Mercedes is not only more expensive to operate, they break and they do it spectacularly.

Thanks for your time and opinions. Very informative and educational. Can you please elabortae about Benz in a deeper level please? Mnch appreciated.

Bah I disagree with that. I don't have to upgrade anything on a Mercedes to get it to run. Only time you have to upgrade cooling is if your boosting power way, way up. Typically its just a larger intercooler if your running a lot more boost.

Mercedes does cooling systems better than BMW, no plastic and 80k mile rebuilds. Components typically are good for around 15-20 years.

Last edited:
A close friend and fellow track rat has grenaded three, yes THREE, transmissions on his C63 AMG, and prior to that his SL65 AMG threw a rod at just 8k miles.

The fact that you cannot get a manual transmission in a Benz is enough a deterrent for me, but I have witnessed many more problems with transmissions.

Older Benzes are tanks, and the 190E 24V and 500E are spectacular cars. Newer ones, however, are much more "luxury car with a bit of sport", while BMW is more "sporty cars with some luxury". Different design philosophy.

I can understand the appeal, but they just don't have that engagement when driving that BMW does. In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back