My Beautiful S2000 Hit - Diminished Value Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you walked out of it, and it was nothing major. Really sorry about the car though, that looks like a beautiful S2000.

I might be going off at a tangent here, but nothing grinds my gears more than people's lack of respect for other people's lives and property. To some people, there's a lot more to a car's value than its monetary value and when you baby it to the point of obsession, it just doesn't feel the same anymore after it's been hit.

Originally Posted By: whip
Stupid question. What is the diminished value? How do they project it if you don't sell it immediately? The OP said the car is appreciating in value. I would think that would throw any diminished value out the window.

It's independent of the car's value. If the S2000 is appreciating, it's not just my S2000. For example: if Larry drives up to a dealer with a clean '06 Berlina Black S with 26k miles on it and I drive mine up to the same dealer, Larry will get more money than I will irrespective of what the value of the car is doing, depreciating, appreciating, or holding.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Stupid question. What is the diminished value? How do they project it if you don't sell it immediately? The OP said the car is appreciating in value. I would think that would throw any diminished value out the window.

It's independent of the car's value. If the S2000 is appreciating, it's not just my S2000. For example: if Larry drives up to a dealer with a clean '06 Berlina Black S with 26k miles on it and I drive mine up to the same dealer, Larry will get more money than I will irrespective of what the value of the car is doing, depreciating, appreciating, or holding.

OK. Let's say Larry sells his car right now, and he gets $2,000 more for his, than you do. Would you be happy with an additional $2,000? What if the car is appreciating, and demand for these goes way up. Larry sells his car in 10 years, and he gets $10,000 more than you do. Was the $2,000 fair compensation? So that takes us back to my original question. What is the diminished value, and how do they determine it if you don't sell right now?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I might be going off at a tangent here, but nothing grinds my gears more than people's lack of respect for other people's lives and property.

I've really been very discouraged lately driving around. And this is probably continuing the tangent, but the risks people take just blow my mind. This example, for instance. The other car was multiple lanes over from where she decided she wanted to be. She should have recognized in her head that she is chosing to make a risky maneuver. She didn't have to; she is chosing to...is the risk worth the reward? Is the risk of moving across multiple lanes of traffic worth not taking the wrong exit and spending an extra two minutes to find an opportunity to turn around?

Whether it's cutting across lanes of traffic like this, or blowing through a corner gas station to cut a light (and possibly hitting someone in that parking lot), many people don't seem capable of recognizing where those risks are, and chosing to minimize them.

As drivers, we can't escape the risks that go along with being on the road, but it seems to me that we, collectively, can be better managers of that risk.

OK. Let's say Larry sells his car right now, and he gets $2,000 more for his, than you do. Would you be happy with an additional $2,000? What if the car is appreciating, and demand for these goes way up. Larry sells his car in 10 years, and he gets $10,000 more than you do. Was the $2,000 fair compensation? So that takes us back to my original question. What is the diminished value, and how do they determine it if you don't sell right now?

Too much "what if". The assessment can only be made based on values at the time of the claim.

Im in the market for a s2000 and this saddens me. It looked pristine...

These cars are such a joy to drive, you can't find any other car that drives like it

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Im in the market for a s2000 and this saddens me. It looked pristine...

These cars are such a joy to drive, you can't find any other car that drives like it

+1 I'd like to own but, but they seem to GAIN value, not lose it. So are quite expensive
frown.gif

I see S2000s on ebay for about 1/3rd their original MSRP. That isn't "holding" value?
a girl in a Civic cut over two lanes from the right lane (440 Staten Island) going to the left Lane (Route 9), I was in the middle lane (Route 287).

That little _____! I'm sorry but I see this every 5 minutes on the interstate, and it annoys me. Crossing two lanes at once is reckless driving, pure and simple.

Don't people realize that these 3 to 4 thousand pound behemoths can lead to death? (Or millions of people getting caught in a traffic jam & delayed to work.) It isn't Gran Turismo on their playstation.

+1
You see people doing really stupid things on the road all of the time.
The first snow or ice day of every late fall brings a fresh crop of ditched vehicles.
You'd think that people living in an area where snow and ice start to appear every late fall would know better.
I've come to hate urban interstates, since they're usually congested and this seems to bring out the worst behavior in many drivers.
Driving on the road is not a race, but many people seem to treat it as though it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back