my bad posture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've been fighting with trying to get my posture straightened out and looking for tips. I am basically too curved- head forward, stomach forward and rear backwards. Shoulders forward. I think this started long ago as a glum adolescent. My muscularature is good (a lot of things online tell me to do exercises I already do). I do hunch over when stressed and am usually stressed. I can stand straight for awhile but have to keep reminding myself and, of course, I forget. Just not sure what else to try...

I'm no expert, do you have a pot belly? Could you stand to lose a few pounds? Try doing sit-ups. Stomach muscles have a lot to do with your back.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I'm no expert, do you have a pot belly? Could you stand to lose a few pounds? Try doing sit-ups. Stomach muscles have a lot to do with your back.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

No pot belly and very muscular stomach. I actually stopped situps because I add muscle easily there and it was making the stomach problem worse.

Go to a crackerpractor. I always saw them as quacks...until I actually went to one who knew what he was doing. I couldn't believe the difference, after a few months of going to him. He liked to yack (which is why I eventually stopped going) and did a bunch of things that seemed more for show than anything, but the actual adjustments were great.

He was also receptive to me telling him to knock off the gimmicky things (collar bone clicky thing, ankle clicky thing, etc.) and talking so much; however, it was fruitless, because he still talked to preceding clients to the point that my appointments were always 30-45 min late! I even heard his wife (and co-quackerpractor) yelling at him over it, but he couldn't help himself.

I tried her once, but she (and the two previous women I tried) didn't have the strength to really adjust me. Felt like the chiropractic equivalent of a Swedish massage, when I really needed deep tissue.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Having a good bed to sleep on does wonders too.

+1

4-5 years ago I switched from an expensive pillow top that ended up being lumpy to a Bobopedic (much cheaper gel/memory foam than the name brand) and he difference was amazing!

1. My lower back stopped aching so much after a normal nights sleep

2. The gel kept me cool. I run hot and tend to sweat a lot if I’m too warm, even in the winter. Gel is definitely the way to go, if you’re like me.

Put together a daily stretching program, warm up and do it everyday. Many physical problems come from loss of flexibility over the years. There's no magic best plan, just do all the stretches you did over the years in gym class and sports.

Take walks and focus on posture. Try to lose stomach weight, im currently doing that. Reduced carbs and weight watchers meals. Drinking more wine too and down 2 belt notches in a month.

Saw a blurb on TV about how texting is causing lots of people's posture to be bad ... always standing and looking down at their phones.

Related:

Try yoga. If there's a "hot yoga" place near you, try that. When you speak to a "hot yoga" place ask them if they are or were Bikram Yoga.

That 90 minute sequence of poses help everything including posture. The twisting poses squeeze your glands and helps with reducing hunger pangs.

I have been battling posture issues for years. I have a very bad spine and lots of pain as a result. Most humans spend to much time sitting. This causes the pelvis to rotate forward and throws the spine out of alignment. Look for exercise that help to put the pelvis back to a neutral position. It takes many months of dedicated work but is well worth it

You also have to consciously correct your posture throughout the day. I know that is hard. You correct and 10 seconds later you find yourself slumped again. Keep at it, after awhile (weeks, months) you will notice the improvement. You are trying to undo years of muscle memory and it won't happen overnight.

Make sure you work on your shoulders as well. Roll them back and unhunch them. It takes a lot of work and practice but it is worth it for the results.

A good yoga class can help but make sure you find the right teacher. Let them know any issues you have with pain and limitations. Don't be embarrassed to use props in yoga, even if no one else in the class is using them.

Of course core strength and proper exercise is key as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have two excellent trainers. The posterior Deltoid muscles are the key.

The exercises:
1. Resistance band pull-apart held out in front and stretch it keeping your arms strait and horizontal. https://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/resistance-band-exercises-workout/ I have the bands with a grip on each end. Buy them and do the exercise at home frequently.
2. Lateral Pull down machine or pull ups curling your hands away from you (you probably can't do it-but trying is just as effective)
3. Rowing Machine
4. I am 72 and had rounded shoulders....I have seen totally amazing results in 3 years.

Be prepared for hard work or don't bother.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
OP, how much do you weigh? height?

I'm roughly 190lbs (give or take a few each day), 6' tall, mildly athletic.

25 pushups per day or as many as you can. Just do pushups is the bottom line. Not fun but they help.

Need to look at all activities on your daily life, any where you sit, when you carry bags, doing exercise try and make conscious improvements to your seating position, how you stand, carry etc to maintain good posture.
Ensure you do plenty of stretching, correctly.
There are specific exercises you can do to help maintain posture, I remember planks being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back