My accelerator pedal is dead

2009 Scion xB, 2AZ-FE 2.4L engine, 5-speed manual transmission.

I started it and the VSC Off and check engine lights stayed on. I noticed this after I attempted to give it some gas to back out of the driveway. The accelerator pedal is completely unresponsive, it has absolutely no impact on engine speed. The code reader gave me P0121 and P0123 codes that are both related to the throttle position sensor. I replaced the ETCS fuse but it did nothing.

I would appreciate guidance on how to chase down the actual problem before I start firing the parts cannon at it. I don't actually know where the TPS is and/or if it's a separate part from the throttle body itself, but I know I don't want to drop $$ on a new throttle body just on a guess. What should be my next steps to track down the problem? Part of me just wants to get AAA to tow it to a garage but the only garage I've ever used closed down during covid and I have no idea who else to go to in my little town.

You should see live TPS data changing from 0 to 100 as you press the gas pedal.

It could either be the throttle body or the accelerator pedal assembly. You need a scanner with live data to determine which one is the problem.

I started it and the VSC Off and check engine lights stayed on. I noticed this after I attempted to give it some gas to back out of the driveway. The accelerator pedal is completely unresponsive, it has absolutely no impact on engine speed. The code reader gave me P0121 and P0123 codes that are both related to the throttle position sensor. I replaced the ETCS fuse but it did nothing.

I would appreciate guidance on how to chase down the actual problem before I start firing the parts cannon at it. I don't actually know where the TPS is and/or if it's a separate part from the throttle body itself, but I know I don't want to drop $$ on a new throttle body just on a guess. What should be my next steps to track down the problem? Part of me just wants to get AAA to tow it to a garage but the only garage I've ever used closed down during covid and I have no idea who else to go to in my little town.
since your xB has the same engine as my scion tC, should be the same sensors.. I looked into my tC's service manual, p0121 is the TPS sensor and yes, the TPS is not only in the throttle body, it's integrated into the DC motor that moves the throttle plate! Yup, have to replace the entire throttle body to replace the TPS.

But before you do that, check the gas pedal, the two sensors there give the commands to the throttle body's TPS. There are two sensors because one sensor checks the main sensor, if the values don't agree then it will send a malfunctioning signal to the ECU (computer). Doesn't hurt to check to see if the gas pedal's sensor connections are dirty, knocked off, etc..

As far as I know there is no campaign, but searching NHTSA's database could show you if there was.. I know that Toyota updated the throttle body with a newer part. I think it was to get rid of an extra vent pipe.

Looked at my service manual.. thought you'd like to read this @Elkins45

The difference between is that P0123 indicates the sensor voltage was higher than 4.535V and P0121 confirms that was out of range voltage. Basically saying the same thing but confirming each other.
I've cut/pasted from the service manual.. Again check the gas pedal sensors (dirty, not connected, etc).. If those check out the throttle body TPS has gone.. Odd because I don't remember this being a common problem.

I'm also wondering if you check the throttle plate for sticky deposits, cleaning it with some MAF sensor cleaner (if you're not taking it off the manifold, safe for plastics).. If you use throttle body cleaner, do not spray the throttle body throat, acetone will melt the plastic intake manifold! Use it on a sponge swab or cotton swab first, then clean. If the throttle body jammed because it was sticky, the TPS could see this as a fault.. Trying to look at everything before you replace parts!

"P0123-
Output voltage of VTA1 4.535 V or more for 2 seconds
when accelerator pedal depressed
(1 trip detection logic)
Problem area :
• TP sensor (built into throttle body)
• Open in VTA1 circuit
• Open in E2 circuit
• Short between VC and VTA1 circuits
• ECM
DESCRIPTION

These DTCs relate to the Throttle Position (TP) sensor.
The Throttle Position (TP) sensor is mounted on the throttle body, and detects the opening angle of the
throttle valve. This sensor is a non-contact type, and uses Hall-effect elements, in order to yield accurate
signals, even in extreme driving conditions, such as at high speeds as well as very low speeds.
The TP sensor has 2 sensor circuits. One circuit sends the VTA1 signal. The other circuit sends the VTA2
signal. VTA1 is used to detect the throttle valve angle and VTA2 is used to detect malfunctions in VTA1.
The sensor signal voltages vary between 0 V and 5 V in proportion to the throttle valve opening angle, and
are transmitted to the VTA terminals of the ECM.
As the valve closes, the sensor output voltage decreases and as the valve opens, the sensor output
voltage increases. The ECM calculates the throttle valve opening angle according to these signals and
controls the throttle actuator in response to driver inputs. These signals are also used in calculations such
as air-fuel ratio correction, power increase correction and fuel-cut control.

MONITOR DESCRIPTION
The ECM uses the Throttle Position (TP) sensor to monitor the throttle valve opening angle. There are
several checks that the ECM performs to confirm the proper operation of the TP sensor.
• A specific voltage difference is expected between the sensor terminals, VTA1 and VTA2, for each
throttle valve opening angle. If the difference between VTA1 and VTA2 is incorrect, the ECM interprets
this as a malfunction in the sensor, and sets a DTC.
• VTA1 and VTA2 each has a specific voltage range. If VTA1 or VTA2 is outside the normal operating
range, the ECM interprets this as a malfunction in the sensor, and sets a DTC.
• VTA1 and VTA2 should never be close to the same voltage level. If VTA1 is within 0.02 V of VTA2, the
ECM determines that there is a short circuit in the sensor, and sets a DTC.
If the malfunction is not repaired successfully, a DTC is set 2 seconds after the engine is next started.

FAIL-SAFE
When any of these DTCs, as well as other DTCs relating to ETCS (Electronic Throttle Control System)
malfunctions, are set, the ECM enters fail-safe mode. During fail-safe mode, the ECM cuts the current to
the throttle actuator off, and the throttle valve is returned to a 6.5° throttle angle by the return spring. The
ECM then adjusts the engine output by controlling the fuel injection (intermittent fuel-cut) and ignition
timing, in accordance with the accelerator pedal opening angle, to allow the vehicle to continue at a
minimal speed. If the accelerator pedal is depressed firmly and gently, the vehicle can be driven slowly.
Fail-safe mode continues until a pass condition is detected, and the ignition switch is then turned off."

Maybe back probe the drive by wire gas pedal first in your foot well area as that is the cheaper part. Also break and re-make the connector down there.

IDK if your scanner would show the pedal signal - I am still operating in the mechanical "rods and pivot antique vehicle age".

It should show the throttle plate % but we have the "chicken or egg quandary"- with no signal from the pedal - you will get no throttle plate movement in your e- throttlebody.

I might guess the throttle motor would be the most vunerable to failure - but I have no stats. Good luck.

Looks like @researcher above has got your back - Ken

Just for FYI, my older Jetta did this when the pedal assembly got wet. It would go into limp mode and only hold 1200RPMs. So check & clean those connections at the pedal assembly first and possibly do the same at the throttle body.

I would then follow the service manual steps for troubleshooting.

It could either be the throttle body or the accelerator pedal assembly. You need a scanner with live data to determine which one is the problem.
I wonder if Advance or Autozone rent live data scanners? I just have a cheap static code reader.

I also wonder if the Bluedriver Bluetooth dongle reports live throttle data? That might be a decent $99 investment.

I wonder if Advance or Autozone rent live data scanners? I just have a cheap static code reader.

I also wonder if the Bluedriver Bluetooth dongle reports live throttle data? That might be a decent $99 investment.
BlueDriver sucks. Don't get it. You're stuck with their app. The OBDLink MX+ for $139 is a much better investment.

No auto parts store I know of will rent a scanner, just pull the codes for you.

BlueDriver sucks. Don't get it. You're stuck with their app. The OBDLink MX+ for $139 is a much better investment.

No auto parts store I know of will rent a scanner, just pull the codes for you.
Will it report live data on the accelerator and throttle positions? I need to determine if it’s the throttle body or the accelerator that’s malfunctioning.

I don't know if you ran across this in your searches. It's for a 2012 with the same engine. Some of what researcher posted is repeated, but it also has a bunch of troubleshooting info. (And it assumes you have a Techstream scanner.)

I looked at Rockauto, and it seems that an Aisin throttle body and the pedal sensor assembly are about the same price.

I would start with ARCOgraphite's idea to check for power at the pedal and unplug/reseat the connector.

My $20 amazon BT reader does with Torque Pro. I have the $5 paid version but I think it does it for free too.

I don't know if you ran across this in your searches. It's for a 2012 with the same engine. Some of what researcher posted is repeated, but it also has a bunch of troubleshooting info. (And it assumes you have a Techstream scanner.)

I looked at Rockauto, and it seems that an Aisin throttle body and the pedal sensor assembly are about the same price.

I would start with ARCOgraphite's idea to check for power at the pedal and unplug/reseat the connector.
It looks like that link just image copied what the official Toyota/Scion repair manual had for my tC. And yes Techstream is definitely used in the diagnostics, it's why I didn't mention it, can't do that with a regular obd2 scanner.

I was also saying to check the sensor in the pedal assembly first, dirty, corroded, and to clean the throttle body throat and plate. I had my 2az-fe engine have a low idle, and stalling because the TPS couldn't read the correct plate angle, why? Because it was sticky with deposits! Something to look into.

It looks like that link just image copied what the official Toyota/Scion repair manual had for my tC. And yes Techstream is definitely used in the diagnostics, it's why I didn't mention it, can't do that with a regular obd2 scanner.

I was also saying to check the sensor in the pedal assembly first, dirty, corroded, and to clean the throttle body throat and plate. I had my 2az-fe engine have a low idle, and stalling because the TPS couldn't read the correct plate angle, why? Because it was sticky with deposits! Something to look into.
Yeah, it costs me nothing to remove the intake and inspect/clean the throttle plate. It would be fantastic if it were something as simple as a stuck throttle, although given the complete lack of throttle response that seems like wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Yeah, it costs me nothing to remove the intake and inspect/clean the throttle plate. It would be fantastic if it were something as simple as a stuck throttle.
hey it's always been the simple fixes with my 2az-fe engine.. would be awesome if that was it, just remember to not spray the throttle body cleaner directly into the intake manifold, the acetone can melt it. Best to use a swab with the cleaner on that, or use MAF sensor cleaner, that's safe for plastics.. Let us know what you find.. with all of the tests

Given this engine’s history as an oil burner there’s no telling how dirty it is.
oh didn't know you had one of those that burned oil.. then this makes sense, since the PCV system injects the vapors back into the air intake tube before the throttle body plate, and all those deposits end up on the plate!! Be really interesting to hear what you see upon inspecting the throttle body..

Back