My '63 Chevy truck - 230 ci engine replacement pending

My old '63 Chevy C10 pickup originally came with a 230ci straight six but had a later 250 in it when I bought it. The 250 still runs good but is showing signs of possible head gasket failure or worse with foamy oil at times.

This truck will never be a matching numbers vehicle but I came across a 1963 230 six for dirt cheap on marketplace and I bought it. It was pouring rain but I did zip tie a bag over the carb and this is a pic from when I got it home.
1698159951075.png

The next day I even managed to get it up onto my engine stand without dropping it.👍
1698160051615.png

Winter is coming fast up here in New England so I don't plan to do anything with the engine until spring. Then I want to check the compression to see what I've got and go from there.
1698160321159.png

This thread may be updated occasionally as needed but feel free to add stories and pictures of old cars & trucks that you are working on.

Last edited:
PUH-leze post follow ups. TIA. Also, if pulling the plugs and doing a compression check reveals nothing. It could be just the result of sitting and condensation, with maybe a clogged PCV or draft tube depending. I would de-sludge Blue Flame 6 rockers with a 1 1/2" putty knife. The draft tube was given a bath in the gas bucket( leaded) and left to burn out on the dirt drive way. Then Sonny would change the oil and set the valves while the engine idled. :cool: (y)

PUH-leze post follow ups. TIA. Also, if pulling the plugs and doing a compression check reveals nothing. It could be just the result of sitting and condensation, with maybe a clogged PCV or draft tube depending. I would de-sludge Blue Flame 6 rockers with a 1 1/2" putty knife. The draft tube was given a bath in the gas bucket( leaded) and left to burn out on the dirt drive way. Then Sonny would change the oil and set the valves while the engine idled. :cool: (y)

Looks like this one has PCV. I think the new generation 6, like this engine, did away with the draft tube.

Looks like this one has PCV. I think the new generation 6, like this engine, did away with the draft tube.
Yes, and all hydraulic lifters in this series too, along with 7 main bearings.

To the OP, since you mentioned a head issue with your 250, is it an integral head? They were so trouble prone with cracking, but I suspect they flow better than the non-integral head.

I've got a 292.
292 Mount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chevy C10 trucks that year never came from the factory with an orange painted engine.

They were a weird Blue-Green IIRC, Detroit Diesel Alpine Green, While not the same shade looks pretty good. Oldsmobile Blue is a closer match shade/hue wise but it's metallic This

Guess my point is....Don't get so caught up with what's factory correct unless this is a full tilt restoration, And even then compromises will have to be made.

My dad had a 63/64 Fleetside with the 230, used it on sat. nite cruising, 3 on the tree, every once in a while the linkage would get jammed up and had to untangle it with a screwdriver. :D

My dad had a 63/64 Fleetside with the 230, used it on sat. nite cruising, 3 on the tree, every once in a while the linkage would get jammed up and had to untangle it with a screwdriver. :D

When adjusted correctly (along with replacing worn parts), It's near impossible to jam the shifter. My grandfather taught me how to adjust 3-speed columns long ago.....One of those "lost art" type things but still makes me chuckle when people reminisce about them thinking it was a flawed design or something when in fact it's just lack of maintenance & know how.

Guess my point is....Don't get so caught up with what's factory correct unless this is a full tilt restoration, And even then compromises will have to be made.
In some ways it's more authentic if it doesn't match. I mean, back in the day... they would have swapped without a thought, farm truck and all. It's just an engine...

My old '63 Chevy C10 pickup originally came with a 230ci straight six but had a later 250 in it when I bought it. The 250 still runs good but is showing signs of possible head gasket failure or worse with foamy oil at times.

This truck will never be a matching numbers vehicle but I came across a 1963 230 six for dirt cheap on marketplace and I bought it. It was pouring rain but I did zip tie a bag over the carb and this is a pic from when I got it home.
View attachment 184968

The next day I even managed to get it up onto my engine stand without dropping it.👍
View attachment 184969

Winter is coming fast up here in New England so I don't plan to do anything with the engine until spring. Then I want to check the compression to see what I've got and go from there.
View attachment 184970

This thread may be updated occasionally as needed but feel free to add stories and pictures of old cars & trucks that you are working on.
Careful, the 230 ci engine had problems that the 250 ci corrected. Something to do with the cooling system leaking antifreeze into the oil.

View attachment 184968

View attachment 184969

View attachment 184970

Nice ride.

Back