My 2007 Ford Fusion turned 300K today.

I started using M1 in 1978 and have never had a car increase in oil consumption from the time I bought it till sold. If I do get engine leaks I either repair them myself or have it done. I learned how to care for vehicles while In the Navy. I was a jet engine mechanic and saw how aircraft were maintained, and I followed that experience the rest of my life.

Which jet engines did you work on ?

I’ve seen the Mobil 1 engine photos you posted over the years and your engines were spotless. (y)

Your extended OCI point may have some merit; but it likely all comes back to the oil coking up the rings. And that can likely happen even at shorter OCIs with subpar oils. 👍🏻
I prefer 4,000 mile / 6 month oil changes with a low priced full synthetic 5W-30. Engine cleanliness is my main concern.

Last edited:
Yes but it's bias based on first hand experience. Some of every manufacturers vehicles have failed. Especially high end vehicles like Mercedes. But Ford is definitely up there for high numbers of problems and they are commonly bought by people who are financially much more affected by a major failure like transmissions, head gaskets or full engines which ford seems to be very good at messing up. Lol.

A friend of my parents always bought Ford trucks and I made the mistake of saying something somewhat negative about Ford in front of him. It wasn't too long after that his daughter focus lost it's transmission (pretty well near 100% failure rate on those dual clutch transmissions). Ford knew they were no good when they produced them but they decided they could fix them after the fact.

Once again, all manufacturers make some bad ones. But Ford is pretty good at making bad ones.
The block in ecoboost engines certainly did have the coolant problem because of the way the coolant passage was machined between cyl 2-3, which resulted in head gasket failures and block replacements. Thats why I chose the 2.5 NA engine in my 2017 Fusion. Also the dual clutch trans is a failure. I paid for my grandsons 2013 Focus trans. Ouch! I never said Fords are perfect, but in my lifetime I have never had a bad Ford. No engine or trans failures. Yet!

Three weeks ago we took my Lady Friends 2015 Fusion with 157K on the clock. She took it to a trusted Indy shop she has dealt with before. She has decided to fix up the Fusion. We expected the worse. The front end suspension was good but needed a toe adjustment. She was charged $50 for the toe job. Two new tires fixed the driving feel. A previously botched clockspring job was repaired and now everything works again. Her total was $950 to keep her car on the road in a safe condition. Priceless. Now she can spend her property money for a nicer place to live. They are solid cars that will last with basic maintenance. Trust me when I say this car for the last 70K has been maintained on a strict budget.

The block in ecoboost engines certainly did have the coolant problem because of the way the coolant passage was machined between cyl 2-3, which resulted in head gasket failures and block replacements. Thats why I chose the 2.5 NA engine in my 2017 Fusion. Also the dual clutch trans is a failure. I paid for my grandsons 2013 Focus trans. Ouch! I never said Fords are perfect, but in my lifetime I have never had a bad Ford. No engine or trans failures. Yet!
It's all about picking the right one. I would recommend the 4 cylinder fusion or a Mazda 3 to people (if they find one not rusted out). Or the earlier focuses before the dual clutch.

Very cool! 300k! I purchased a loaded 2017 Fusion, was a Repo on a Toyota dealers lot, only had 500 miles with factory warranty and I got a killer deal.
She is a low mile car that is only driven about 5K a year! I have owned many cars and trucks up to over $100K and the fusion is perhaps the best car I have ever owned. I have had zero issue until last week, the wiper fluid wont spray ( pump runs, no spray) and I now hear some wind noise in the drivers door, seal looks good, Ill try some silicone spray . All I have done is oil changes and one set of tires on a 7 year old car. I do a dealer simi-synthetic oil change when the oil life monitor gets to 20% a bit less than once a year.
So 300K that will be in about 60 years for me if my math is right... LOL,
I'll never understand why Ford stopped making cars? Right when things were almost perfect, no more cars...

Last edited:
Very cool! 300k! I purchased a loaded 2017 Fusion, was a Repo on a Toyota dealers lot, only had 500 miles with factory warranty and I got a killer deal.
She is a low mile car that is only driven about 5K a year! I have owned many cars and trucks up to over $100K and the fusion is perhaps the best car I have ever owned. I have had zero issue until last week, the wiper fluid wont spray ( pump runs, no spray) and I now hear some wind noise in the drivers door, seal looks good, Ill try some silicone spray . All I have done is oil changes and one set of tires on a 7 year old car. I do a dealer simi-synthetic oil change when the oil life monitor gets to 20% a bit less than once a year.
So 300K that will be in about 60 years for me if my math is right... LOL,
I'll never understand why Ford stopped making cars? Right when things were almost perfect, no more cars...
No profit compared to Trucks with 4 doors and 4WD and the market darling, the SUV

No profit compared to Trucks with 4 doors and 4WD and the market darling, the SUV
Yea, I get it but I don't like it. I own a Ram 3500 Mega Cab Cummins as my day to day but when I need to actually find a parking spot I want my car! However, now when I park my car I can't see to get out as I have huge "tall" trucks or SUV's on each side... LOL
I guess the older I get I'm turning into my Dad as I still like the idea of a trunk, People can't see I have stuff in my car.
I guess I can always buy a Honda Accord... History repeats, Wonder if Cars will ever return to Ford Lincoln?

Back