"Multi" ratio oil... can i still mix it at proper ratio?

Picked up an old earth auger with a tecumseh engine, calls for 24:1. All my stuff is 50:1 so I just buy tru fuel pre mixed (2 cans gets me by most of the year)

Well to get it running i snagged a can of VP regular 4 stroke gas (so I dont have to have a separate can) and a cheap bottle of tall timber 2 cycle. I noticed its a "multi ratio" 2 cycle which i never even knew existed. I dont want to thin the mix out since its an older engine... just my preference... so is there a down side to mixing these universal oils at the proper mixture? Excess build up or anything or is it good to go? Or should I go buy a non multi ratio oil and mix it?

Well, its 2.6 oz of oil, so that works out to a 50:1 in a gallon. If it were me I'd use a half gallon of gas and call it close enough. Its probably not going to matter to the machine, actually, it probably wouldn't matter to your 50:1 motors either to run them oil rich. Plenty of people do it and there's a little evidence out there that its better for the longevity of the machine and power output.

I have a Tecumseh on a StrikeMaster Ice Auger that spec'ed 20:1 when I got it in the early 2000's. The newer ones of the same engine were all spec'ed to 50:1, so I think you would be OK. It used to spit goop out the exhaust at 20:1 and is a little better at 50:1. It is run for very long at a time when ice fishing, just to drill a few holes.

just be prepared to adjust the carburetor if you go playing with oil ratios. More oil means less fuel which actually makes the engine run leaner, less oil means more fuel and it'll run rich.

As for the oil, go ahead and mix it up however you want, worst case scenario you end up with a fouled plug and clogged up spark arrester screen with some oily residue dripping out of your muffler. Won't damage anything

just be prepared to adjust the carburetor if you go playing with oil ratios. More oil means less fuel which actually makes the engine run leaner, less oil means more fuel and it'll run rich.

As for the oil, go ahead and mix it up however you want, worst case scenario you end up with a fouled plug and clogged up spark arrester screen with some oily residue dripping out of your muffler. Won't damage anything

I'm not playing with ratios. I'm asking if this "universal" can be traditionally mixed for my 24:1 ratio like traditional 2 cycle oils can, or if its designed to be mixed 1 bottle to 1 gallon only. Never used the stuff. I thought I was just getting a random cheap little bottle of regular old 2 cycle

You can mix it at whatever ratio is right for the machine. If it is "universal", it is good at 24:1 when appropriate.

You can mix it at whatever ratio is right for the machine. If it is "universal", it is good at 24:1 when appropriate.
Thanks. It says mixing it 1 bottle per gallon covers all ratios from 16:1 on up. But something about that doesn't sit right with me and not sure if I'd trust it on my older 24:1, thsts why I asked.

Basically what Tall Timber is saying is that it's a 50:1 oil, the same as almost all two cycle oils today. Sure you can mix any of them richer, and the extra oil will equal more smoke, oil out the exhaust, and shorter time plug fouling based on these other ratios.

So I found a little bottle of stihl ultra 2 cycle (silver bottle) from back when I bought my trimmer...
Woukd you guys use the tall timber (full synthetic, smokeless)
Or the stihl, both mixed at a 24:1 ratio?

I did notice the stihl says meets JASO FB, while the tall timber says it meets JASO FC, FD. Does that matter?

This is an older machine just want to give it the best I can. The timber says it has fuel stabilizers, but this will be mixed into a can of VP 4 cycle fuel that also contains those

I did notice the stihl says meets JASO FB, while the tall timber says it meets JASO FC, FD. Does that matter?

This is an older machine just want to give it the best I can. The timber says it has fuel stabilizers, but this will be mixed into a can of VP 4 cycle fuel that also contains those
Run the Tall Timber you will be fine dont know what specific VP SEF can you specifically have but do not think it contains any fuel stabilizer it's just a superior quality fuel and very stable as itself. FD oil is what you want and is rated highest quality.

Yes you can mix the 50:1 oil at 24,32,40:1 ect if you wish. That machine may have been built when oils were not very good.

32:1 or 40:1 will be fine in it. Years ago I ran 40:1 for trail riding and 32:1 @ the dunes on a 3 wheeler that was specked for 20:1.

Back