2 stroke oil ratio question

Yes - this illuminates the confusion within the English standards of weights and volumes.

"oz" is both a unit of measure of weight AND volume, but they are not going to be interchangable.

Don't overthink this. Use the little bottle with a gallon of gas; that's the way they engineer'd the package. (they are using volume in this example).
I do need to over think it, because the amount in the bottle is for 50:1, the old stuff I have takes 40:1 and some also go 32:1 and a few even 25:1 or so. I like to know the things are getting some oil. And you are so correct about the confusion, fl oz is something I have glossed over through the years, never sunk in till now. And thanks to all here for the help.

The "LL" in 100LL "low lead" is anything but low lead. Its roughly twice as much lead as regular leaded auto gas in the 60's and 70's had and is many, many times higher than the lead content right before regular leaded auto gas had before they phased it out. You absolutely do not want to be breathing the exhaust from this. Its your body, you can do what you want, but my friendly, unsolicited, you-didnt-ask-for-it advice is, stop using this yesterday. Get yourself some E0 from your local marina or whatever pumps near you have it, and ditch the 100LL.

Lead levels in gasoline were reduced from around 2.5-3.0 g/gal in the late 70s down to 1.1 g/gal in 1983. It was further reduced to 0.1 g/gal in 1986 (it was actually a complicated scheme due to trading of credits between refineries and blenders). Today's 100LL has about 0.5 to 0.6 g/gal.

I do need to over think it, because the amount in the bottle is for 50:1, the old stuff I have takes 40:1 and some also go 32:1 and a few even 25:1 or so. I like to know the things are getting some oil. And you are so correct about the confusion, fl oz is something I have glossed over through the years, never sunk in till now. And thanks to all here for the help.
@Exhaustgases don’t overthink this. It’s simple once you understand the ratio. Here’s how I look at it.

I use the little bottle of 2.6FL OZ
50:1 needs 1 gallon of gas
40:1 needs 0.8 gallons of gas
32:1 needs 0.64 gallons of gas.

So the quick rule of thumb is double the mix ratio (40:1, 40x2=80 so 0.8 gallons) and that’s how much fuel you need. These ratios are not exact but pretty darn close. The exact ratio of what I stated above is 39.38:1 so certainly close enough for me.

Just my $0.02

Lead levels in gasoline were reduced from around 2.5-3.0 g/gal in the late 70s down to 1.1 g/gal in 1983. It was further reduced to 0.1 g/gal in 1986 (it was actually a complicated scheme due to trading of credits between refineries and blenders). Today's 100LL has about 0.5 to 0.6 g/gal.
I havent fueled a recip in a while, so I admittedly had to go google this to refresh my ever failing memory. I hate using wikipedia as a source for....anything really.... but they show 0.56g per liter. Which would be about 2.2g per gallon.

Didnt say it wouldnt run, I dont like to breathe in lead fumes.
Yea, I’d rather pay the extra for canned premix than breathe in lead. Just don’t use TruFuel - use VP/SEF(Lowe’s/Walmart), Husky XP+, Echo RedArmor or Stihl MotoMix, the first 3 use JASO FD approved oil, the last uses Stihl’s HP Ultra, JASO FB but still a good oil.

upto .56grams/liter = upto 2.1g/gallon

If one really wanted to get into weighing things, most hydrocarbons are relatively close in density(most in the .7-.8g/mL range) so for mixing a two stroke oil you'd likely end up with about the same result if you mixed weight/weight or volume/volume.

Yea, I’d rather pay the extra for canned premix than breathe in lead. Just don’t use TruFuel - use VP/SEF(Lowe’s/Walmart), Husky XP+, Echo RedArmor or Stihl MotoMix, the first 3 use JASO FD approved oil, the last uses Stihl’s HP Ultra, JASO FB but still a good oil.
I've used TruFuel forever and never had a problem. In fact my 2007 Poulan leaf blower will only run correctly on TruFuel 40 to 1.

I've used TruFuel forever and never had a problem. In fact my 2007 Poulan leaf blower will only run correctly on TruFuel 40 to 1.
Poulan and anything 40:1 seems to be happy with TruFuel. I’m referring to Echo/Shindaiwa, Stihl and Husky(Husqvarna). Those take 50:1 and require JASO FD oil. TruFuel has caused problems with Stihl gear. Stihl MotoMix and Ultra HP is supposed to be good, but it’s only JASO FB rated.

I’m running Husky XP+ pre-mix now, soon to be Echo RedArmor - both are JASO FD. I can get EtOH free fuel in CA, $30 canned from HD, or a trip into Sunol or Mendocino County. Yes, I know CA is banning gas OPE at the end of year but it doesn’t make sense to junk working gear.

Poulan and anything 40:1 seems to be happy with TruFuel. I’m referring to Echo/Shindaiwa, Stihl and Husky(Husqvarna). Those take 50:1 and require JASO FD oil. TruFuel has caused problems with Stihl gear. Stihl MotoMix and Ultra HP is supposed to be good, but it’s only JASO FB rated.

I’m running Husky XP+ pre-mix now, soon to be Echo RedArmor - both are JASO FD. I can get EtOH free fuel in CA, $30 canned from HD, or a trip into Sunol or Mendocino County. Yes, I know CA is banning gas OPE at the end of year but it doesn’t make sense to junk working gear.
Words have meaning.

Check your facts before posting regarding CA gas OPE.

Words have meaning.

Check your facts before posting regarding CA gas OPE.
1/1/2024. That’s about 10 months away. The bigger retailers will pull gas equipment off the shelves sooner than that, the local Home Depot now has more space dedicated to electric, the local Ace is pushing eGo instead of Stihl a bit more now.

Back