MPG on Truck vs. Car with same engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
At the outside, the difference at 12m miles per year (from 23 to 28 mpg) is 100 gallons. Or, what, $275-$300?

Shouldn't be too hard to figure a way to "save" a few tanks of gas.

Depreciation and finance charges are the killer in ownership costs, not fuel.

Start by determining how long you will keep vehicle, work backwards in time to the present and project your costs in re tires, fuel, insurance, repairs, maintenance.

Your "savings" will most likely be in understanding whether you chose the right vehicle to begin with (type, not brand), and in using/keeping it well.

Good points. I will be keeping this truck until the wheels fall off. It's exactly what I need for the type of use I have. I maintain them fanatically and regularly, and I drive lots of miles, so fuel cost is an important consideration for me. At 30K miles per year, a 5% increase in fuel economy can mean a few hundred dollars at least, or more depending on where fuel costs continue to go!

This a Nissan Frontier 2.4L DOHC Automatic with King Cab and soon to have tonneau cover. It fits my needs perfectly and as I will maintain it with religious fervor, I'm not too worried about going 200K+ miles on it, so just looking to save where I can.

quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
Lou Dawg,
It will be very hard to improve on your milage. Unless you have a "stripper model-5 spd w/no options and tiny wheels (who buys these things anyways?). If indeed you do have this base model you could expect up to 30 MPG.

No, I have the Frontier XE King Cab, AT. Guess maybe 24 isn't so bad?

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
IMO, its smart to start moving to syn fluids for the diff in your truck, and that has been known to up your economy a bit.

Is it a manual trans? If so, consider changing that fluid to syn as well. If its an auto, just change the fluid with nissan fluid.

Syn in the engine may help too... but you need to realize the cost penalty you may be taking. If you 'drive so much', then it might very well be worth it to switch to syn oil and extnd your oil change interval out to where youre saving $$$ over normal oil changes.

All of these things are beneficial to reducing lifecycle cost, not just instant fuel economy. You need to realize that the cost of these things may not get paid off for a year or more, in terms of improved fuel economy... if at all. Theyre just smart to do if you want to keep your vehicle.

The best thing you can do is to avoid brisk acceleration and jackrabbit starts at the stoplights, stopsigns, onramps, etc. Youre not a nascar driver, and with fuel as expensive as it is, you cant afford to be one. Accelerate gradually, and try to anticipate stops so you can get your foot off the gas pedal as early as you can to coast. Driving gently is the first key... Once driving, keep it slow... that is the second key to success.

IMO, dont sacrifice your AC life for a bit more fuel economy. Run the AC regularly. Most vehicles see better fuel economy on the highway with windows closed, AC on than ooen windows anyway.

Drive gently!

JMH

Synthetic oil is still up in the air for me...I think the kicker would be if I could get the fuel economy with it to go along with longer OCI's. Still reading up on the other forum about that one, but it is in an option. It is an AT, but would synthetics in ATF help? Do they even make or recommend those?

Other than that, I am very easy on the gas pedal, with almost no brisk starts or quick stops. I'm very conscious of driving smoothly, evenly, and at reasonable speeds.

According to Mythbusters the driving with your windows down and getting worse mpg is a crock
wink.gif

I usually will drive with my windows down at highway speeds (60-80mph) and do not notice a diff at all in mpg....I only notice a drop if I spend the weekend running around town, starting and stopping or if I get stuck in traffic during my commute. Windows up or down..doesn't seem to matter..if I run the a/c I do take a hit...4 banger have to work harder?

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back