MPG increases with FP and UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Lucas this week for a 450 mile round trip to Daytona Beach and got 1.5 MPG increase.

I can get 30-31 MPG on the Hwy if I maintain 65 MPH in 6th gear and stay in the slow lane.

[ June 07, 2006, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: LT4 Vette ]

Surfstar, if you want to continue testing, try running B100 biodiesel at the same treatment ratio. Its a lubricity improver and excellent cleaner. It'll be an interesting comparison to FP/MMO/UCL/.... with your driving style since it cost
Another choice for testing is an API-JASO-NMMA certified 2-stroke oil. These oils are blended with cleaners and detergents to keep those 2-stroke smokers from carboning up.

LT4 Vette,

Are you getting 30-31 mpg in a Corvette on the highway? I don't even get that in my '97 Maxima with a 3 liter 6 cylinder. Closest I've gotten is 29.16 mpg with cruise set at 75 mph (and recommended dose of MMO in the tank). I'm not doubting you, just very surprised and impressed.
I consistently get 2 mpg more when I use the recommended 4 oz MMO to 10 gallons premium fuel. I get the same increase with 5.25 oz Lucas UCL to ~13 gallons premium fuel. A friend gets me quarts of MMO for free, so I use it more often. But I do like to switch up my additives every once in a while, so Lucas, Techron, and Regane get used.
Interestingly, even with my consistent use of fuel additives (almost every tank) and quality fuel, I still have possibly minor carbon deposits on my piston crowns. Sky jumper and I have been posting about these (we have same cars, slightly different years). I don't think either of us have had much success at removing them. I'm more convinced now that they are normal, and may not be as bad as they appear. Maybe our piston tops are rough cast, giving a 3-d appearance like carbon?

Dave

Dave,

Yes it can get 31 MPG on the highway. My car is a coupe (non convertible), 6th gear is VERY tall and FL is flat as a pancake. With FP or Lucas, it will get a max of 31 mpg.

Great info. The only thing I would say may effect your readings is that the FP was put in first and both were used in "batches" so maybe some of FP cleaning advantage is being used by the UCL.

Like you I write down mileage, but unfortunately I never seem to remember to write down if I used FP or not. Add to the fact that I always add it 60-80 miles into a tank and it's hard to make a chart like that. Congradulations for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back