Mower wouldn't go, turned into tinkering project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to mow the lawn Tue. afternoon, and our Husquvarna YTH2348 wouldn't move. I checked up under it and the drive belt had fallen off. I tried to put it back on the pullies, but it wouldn't grab enough tension to work.
So I pushed it to a working area and dropped the deck. Once I got that out of the way I could kinda see one of the pullies had frozen at some point and the belt melted a slot into the plastic.

However, even if I adjust the pulley to a round spot, I still couldn't get the belt to tighten. My thinking is the belt got hot and stretched from melting that pulley.
Ordered a new belt and all three idler pullies.
I then jacked it up put it on stands and pulled the TuffTorq out of it. It had never been changed before so I thought, might as well! I looked up the info on the K46 and it called out 10W30 or syn 5W50.

I went down to my friendly neighborhood Schaeffers dealer, and purchased 3qts of #9001 5W50 racing oil. I was impressed with how clean the oil coming out was even with 150 hours. I don't think Ill ever change the oil in it again.
Then I took off that stupid drain plug thing on the engine that drools all over the frame and put on a brass 3/8x4" nipple, street elbow, and cap. You can also see the relocated harness for the headlights. If you look up this model (ex. Amazon) you'll find people have had these catch fire because from the factory the harness just dangles against the valve cover and exhaust. I used those christmas trees that get taped to harnesses on cars and then pushed it into a hole in the frame.

Oil installed was Delo XLE 10W30 and a Purolator Classic L20195 (FL400/PH3600 size)
Oh yeah, and the headlight harness no longer goes to the "lights" in the hood. I stalled a freebie 5" off-road light I got from a friend. He was gonna throw it out after upgrading to LEDs, but I saved one. Just had to get a longer carriage bolt to go all the way though the round bumper.

I also sharpened the blades, which needed doing. No pics, but they are WELL CHOWDERED and past their life. I want to get some of those Gator blades and put them on, but we've already spent some money on this thing getting it running this year, as it had been sitting outside for 2 years unused. Including 4 new tires that I had posted here about getting recently. So, I will get them next year when I pull the deck and clean/grease everything as part of the yearly PM.

Last edited:
Nice!!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pretty cool pictures. I've never heard of plastic pulleys before.

They are starting to show up on cars too. The replacement idler I bought for a GM 3400 in a Montana a few years ago was plastic.

I have a Husqvarna 2754GLS with about 500 hours on it. Last year, one of the idle pulleys did the same thing on mine. Completely flat spotted to the point where it lost all tension. I only replaced the bad one. I've put 50ish hours on it since.
thumbsup2.gif

Great work! You'll be good to go for many years now. I just did the same oil drain piping mod a few weeks ago. Tossed that garbage plastic quick drain fitting right in the garbage.

I've got a very similar Craftsman machine. It's a 2007. So far so good on all OEM belts and pulleys. Mine has the Peerless LTH2000 hydrostat. I would guess that mine has ~150hrs on it.

I couldn't help myself, so I pulled the valve covers and checked valve lash. They were all around .008". Spec is .004-.006", so I tightened them up a bit.
Also checked the spark plugs. They are going back in as they are still pretty close to .030"

Last edited:

Ford was using plastic pulleys on their tensioners back in 1987. Nothing new here.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Ford was using plastic pulleys on their tensioners back in 1987. Nothing new here.
alot of junk equipment runs plastic you won't find it on a Scag mower.

It failed because the bearing went out, not because it was plastic.

Got the parts in and ran it today. Had no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
It failed because the bearing went out, not because it was plastic.

Got the parts in and ran it today. Had no issues.

A plastic pulley still isn't going to hold up long. Truck bush hogging and see how long those pulleys last. I have all metal pulleys on mine and believe me you won't want to touch them with your hands after a long run through tall grass, but with the average home owner, they would be just fine since you probably don't get yourself into jobs that you ask yourself why did I take this on? Sometimes that's the only way to get the property is to get it under control then it's yours after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back