Cub Cadet Throwing/Breaking Deck Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all the rotating elements are spinning straight and free and everything is aligned, I'd try raising the deck up some. I've seen it many times where people keep the deck mashed to the ground. Not only does this angle the PTO belt sharply, but the bouncing and movement of the deck will wear the belt and can cause it to jump off.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If all the rotating elements are spinning straight and free and everything is aligned, I'd try raising the deck up some. I've seen it many times where people keep the deck mashed to the ground. Not only does this angle the PTO belt sharply, but the bouncing and movement of the deck will wear the belt and can cause it to jump off.
Deck was at the highest position.

Ok so to update this and seek out some help, I went back to my mom's to look this over before I decide what needs replaced and what doesn't. As it turns out, the only loose part I found was the pivot point the swing arm for the spindle belt idler pulley attaches. This pulley rides on the back of the spindle belt and is under spring tension at all times.

One of the deck spindles is missing the grease zerk on the top of it and looking at the 'good' one it doesn't have a hex head and only spins when I try to unscrew it with a pair of pliers. Any advice on this? Despite one spindle missing a grease fitting they both spin freely.

The only other wear point I found was a tiny bit less than 1/32" of end play on the double pulley at the back of the deck. There's no wobble on any pullies and everything spins freely. No cracks in the deck.

Is it possible that this machine just killed the deck/spindle belt first and that, in-turn killed the PTO belt? I can't find anything else wrong here.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
As it turns out, the only loose part I found was the pivot point the swing arm for the spindle belt idler pulley attaches. This pulley rides on the back of the spindle belt and is under spring tension at all times.

This will cause a belt to come off if it is too worn/loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back