Mount ideas on my Neon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up that Amsoil dual-remote today. I thought I had the perfect place to mount it, but it turns out the airbox will be in the way.
rolleyes.gif

Any ideas? The only place I can see (and it will be tight) is on the firewall. Only trouble with that is it will put the filters directly above the lead pipe and the front of the catalytic converter. Is this going to be a problem? I mean apart from burning my hands and causing an oil cloud every time I need to change a filter?

Would this be a problem location if I was going to use a Motorguard/Frantz instead of the Amsoil dual-remote?

What's behind the front bumper? There is usually space behind there. It might be a pain to get it mounted, but once you do the filter should be easy to change.

Also ..don't necessarily require it to have rigid fastening either (as in bolted to sheet metal). If you can anchor it to anything with zip ties ...you're good to go usually. Then you just leave enough slack to cut the zip ties to fit a pan under it when you change the filters.
dunno.gif

My son's got a 2.0 96 beater. I'll see if I can figure a good place for it.

What filter(s) are you running anyway?

The bypass will be the BE90 (~1 qt. capacity), and the full-flow will be the size of a Fram PH8A (don't remember number-- SDF15??).

I looked quickly behind the bumper last evening and the only thing I see is the radiator. There might be some way to put it behind the actual bumper and let it hang down in front of the radiator. Changing will be a royal pain as it didn't look to me like there's enough room to tilt the mount and pull it out of the cooling space between the bumper and lower facia. That means that, if there's even enough depth to put it there, it'll just have to make a huge mess whenever I change it.

If you check the '96, Gary, I'll look some more on my 2000 tonight.

On my son's 96 ..the only possible location would be in front of the master cylinder. The unit would cover the PDC (power distribution center) but would not appear to need any "fastening" per se`. A soft durable pad would assure that movement wasn't possible. It has no place to go under that hood. The only possible interference item is an air duct attached to the hood itself that vents near (at a right angle to) another air duct attached to the engine. Trimming this hood duct might be required.
dunno.gif

Other locations appear to be behind the front bumper (as was suggested) and in front of either wheel well on the "wrap around" area. I believe that you can probably remove the inner plastic shell for fastening the unit ..and then service it from below.

In the front of the rad on the 96 there is more than enough room for this to fit. The installation would require the removal of the bumper. I'm not sure, but I think if you could mount it vertically on the center support (in the middle of the rad area) that you could use one of those "three finger" type oil filter wrenches that tightens as you twist it.

I mounted mine on the inside of the front bumper in my 2005 Echo. I was able to complete the installation without removing the bumper using a right-angle drill and thread inserts. The goofy looking loop of hose from the Dual Remote was necessary to enable me to get my arm in to change the filters. What is the filter on the right? That is my transmission filter - it was installed using the same method.

-

It sounds like there is quite a bit of difference between the 1st & 2nd gen Neons. I don't remember my '96 very well. The spaces in front of the wheels are entirely filled by the cruise control vacuum tank, windshield washer tank, and airbox (at least). The radiator support is 3-dimensional on this car; thinking of an inverted pyramid gives a very rough idea of its shape. There is no possibility of it going there. I could possibly mount it in the airflow space to one side, but I just don't want to block half the radiator with it.

I think it's against the firewall or nowhere. There's room there, but I'll have to devise some type of heat shield, I think.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

quote:

The spaces in front of the wheels are entirely filled by the cruise control vacuum tank, windshield washer tank, and airbox (at least).

Sure ..but look from below. Those items don't extend that far "down". The internal items don't go anywhere near the depth of the "ground effects" (for lack of a better term.

But, as you said, the variations between the years evolutions may make that a non-usable location.

Good luck!
cheers.gif

A new question. Now that the filters are on their way, I've found another possible location. I can mount it to the back of the PCM (ECM to you non-American drivers
wink.gif
, but that will place it almost touching the bottom of the airbox. The airbox has a slot/hole in it presumably to drain water and dust. Is this going to cause a significant heat-soak problem in the intake (in addition to the SERIOUS challenge in mounting it there)? Is this a better or worse choice than on the firewall ~6 inches above the front of the catalyst?

I've looked and measured all over and there is just not enough space between the radiators and the bumper, and the spaces in front of the wheel wells (except a small part I'm talking about above) are completely full top to bottom.

Mount it outside on the fender, and go down the road like the big trucks do.

Yep, I sell them. I find no reasonable way to install one on my 88 Saab 9000T or my 96 Saab 900SETurbo. Guess I'll just have to change the oil yearly until the body rusts away.

Personal opinion--putting a bypass filter on Harry Homeowner's Honda is overkill. On a diesel, particularly pickup or van, makes a lot of sense.
On fleets which are doing lots of miles/hours, absolutely. On riding lawn mowers used by landscapers, makes sense. On boats where it is hard/expensive to change oil, sure.

But on a chainsaw, an ATV, a model airplane--

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
have you considered putting your battery in your trunk and the filter in the battery tray?

Like this?

-

This is on a Saturn '95 SL2

I got it! I put it on the firewall with the help of some epoxy and a few elevator bolts.
wink.gif

It's going to make a bit of a mess when it's time to change the filters, but hopefully a couple of shop towels will catch most/all of it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys!

--Eoin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back