Motul vs Shell

Originally Posted by yagciogullari
Originally Posted by zeng
With both being Dexos2 C3, I prefer Shell to Motul for its GTL base.

does GTL based oils really make that difference or is it just a marketing gimmick?

No difference in our typical everyday use at OCI less than 10k miles, IMO .
I won't pay additional 15-20% more for Shell GTL though .

Originally Posted by adams355
Shell GTL will have a lower noack and likely a higher TBN. They will both do the job.

Then it's a no brainer to pick Shell GTL at quite similar price point .

Originally Posted by zeng
Shell GTL will have a lower noack and likely a higher TBN. They will both do the job.

Then it's a no brainer to pick Shell GTL at quite similar price point .

i think both are around the same price. i'll pick whichever is the cheapest
smile.gif

TBN isn't a function of the base oil and a higher or more robust TBN is only of benefit if one plans on running the lubricant for an extended duration.

Yes true it's from the additive pack but the GTL has more resistance to oxidative degradation. Most/all are longlife oils.

Yes true it's from the additive pack but the GTL has more resistance to oxidative degradation. Most/all are longlife oils.

+1

IMHO starting TBN is largely irrelevant because it declines in a non-linear fashion.

Okay but TBN retention is not the same as oxidation resistance. There are other high VI Group III base stocks that also demonstrate improved oxidation resistance.

Overall though it is true that GTL produced Group III base stocks are superior to other Group III stocks in many ways and require less post-processing (hydrocracking).

Than many (most?) other Group III's, certainly. But not when compared to PAO or POE's.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Than many (most?) other Group III's, certainly. But not when compared to PAO or POE's.

I was just mentioning that the shell GTL oils are longlife oils.

Other Group III, IV and V are also longlife oils.

Their Euro oils are, but they use GTL in their regular interval products too. They spent a fortune on Pearl and I think they are really trying to make as much use of these excellent bases as they can
smile.gif

Yes, I'm not saying they are not. I have used most of them.

So why are you constantly mentioning that like Motul is not?
Both Shell and Motul in this case are LL oils.

Their Euro oils are, but they use GTL in their regular interval products too. They spent a fortune on Pearl and I think they are really trying to make as much use of these excellent bases as they can
smile.gif

Yep, but in Australia only the Shell Helix Ultra line is GTL atm.

Last edited:
I haven't mentioned Motul is not. Do you work for them...

No I do not work for Motul.
All oils with specification that that Shell has are LL oils. There is nothing special about that Shell. Youa re constantly indicating how that Shell is LL. It is, so is Motul.
Actually that particular Shell was always sketchy oil. When it got out with GTL base Shell had listed Noack at 11%. Later they removed all together Noack numbers, however other parameters stayed the same. I is OK oil, however, it is just one of many. Considering Naock number of first version (and there is no reason to suspect that this one is any different) I highly doubt GTL base stock makes majority of base stock.

Are you sure you don't work for Motul...

What Shell are you talking about?

This is what the aussie site says:

https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/pureplus.html

Yeah, I am sure where I work and what I do.
That site does not say anything useful for this discussion, it is Shell marketing.
You are preferring Shell. It is fine. Actually, I have it now in my BMW. I have 10 bottles of 5W40 flavor in my garage for BMW.
You are taking personal what I am saying.

Back