Motul Specific LL01-FE 5w-30 for BMW S55

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by edyvw
Yep.ALL BMW gasoline engines are recommended for LL01 and LL04 (depending on market). But, this is higher math for you.
Again, Toyota.

If your children fail math, you should buy a BMW for them, like when your parents did for you.
crackmeup2.gif

Dude, again, SM and SN. Learn the difference, and then come here.
We are lucky you did not suggest SuperTech like you did for Audi.

I've owned the M4 since 2015 October. I can back @edyvw that this engine originally was designed around LL01, not FE because when I first got the car, the dealership would only change w/ with LL01 0w40 or LL01 5w30. 2 years after that they allowed for LL01-FE 0w30, and it started appearing in the new car manuals.

I feel all manufactures are moving towards the thinnest oil possible for the recommended drain period for CAFE / mpg reasons. I don't see how my car can call for LL01 initially (3.5 HTHS minimum?) and now the recommended version is a FE oil. Will there be any difference to the car in 100k miles? Probably not - but as an enthusiasts and someone that beats the [censored] out of the car I'll just stick to the original manufacturer recommended LL01.

Last edited:
I doubt that BMW, VW or any other mfcr just chooses any, off the shelf FE oil, slaps their approval on it and says, "now go drive your M or GTi at 65mph max.

Originally Posted by JamesGames
I've owned the M4 since 2015 October. I can back @edyvw that this engine originally was designed around LL01, not FE because when I first got the car, the dealership would only change w/ with LL01 0w40 or LL01 5w30. 2 years after that they allowed for LL01-FE 0w30, and it started appearing in the new car manuals.

I feel all manufactures are moving towards the thinnest oil possible for the recommended drain period for CAFE / mpg reasons. I don't see how my car can call for LL01 initially (3.5 HTHS minimum?) and now the recommended version is a FE oil. Will there be any difference to the car in 100k miles? Probably not - but as an enthusiasts and someone that beats the [censored] out of the car I'll just stick to the original manufacturer recommended LL01.

All N-series engines (4,6,8,12 cylinder) and their S-derivatives (excl S62,S65) are spec'd for LL01 FE or the mid-saps equivalent LL12FE. Agree BMW has been all over the place and you'd think that they would offer a "track use" recommendation.

Originally Posted by wemay
I doubt that BMW, VW or any other mfcr just chooses any, off the shelf FE oil, slaps their approval on it and says, "now go drive your M or GTi at 65mph max.

Within the context of historically thicker euro oils, ya LL01FE is thinner but it's no thinner than say regular Mobil 1 5w30. BMW spec'd a 10w60 for a certain family of M-engines and some owners routinely ran M1 0w40 w/out a problem for street driving.
21.gif

Last edited:
VW is another "all over the place" mfcr where oil recommendations/requirements is concerned. Going from hths 3.5 to 2.6 is pretty drastic.

so.....back to the original question......anyone think this Motul LL01-FE 5w-30 is any good? or stick to BMW TPT LL01-FE 0w-30....or last choice being pennzoil platinum euro LL01, 5w-40? i am down to those 3 choices in my own head, for intermittent 5k changes. if it makes any difference i do a good amount of city driving, and sub 15mile round trips to pick up random things, so the engine doesnt get up to full temp and i cant drive very fast on these local roads either.

Originally Posted by sharpmoney
so.....back to the original question......anyone think this Motul LL01-FE 5w-30 is any good? or stick to BMW TPT LL01-FE 0w-30....or last choice being pennzoil platinum euro LL01, 5w-40? i am down to those 3 choices in my own head, for intermittent 5k changes. if it makes any difference i do a good amount of city driving, and sub 15mile round trips to pick up random things, so the engine doesnt get up to full temp and i cant drive very fast on these local roads either.

You're the one who will have to choose what approval you're going to chase, whether it be LL-01FE or LL-01. Once that decision is made it won't make a hill of beans difference which oil you use that has the same approval.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by JamesGames

All N-series engines (4,6,8,12 cylinder) and their S-derivatives (excl S62,S65) are spec'd for LL01 FE or the mid-saps equivalent LL12FE. Agree BMW has been all over the place and you'd think that they would offer a "track use" recommendation.

Within the context of historically thicker euro oils, ya LL01FE is thinner but it's no thinner than say regular Mobil 1 5w30. BMW spec'd a 10w60 for a certain family of M-engines and some owners routinely ran M1 0w40 w/out a problem for street driving.
21.gif

The S85 is the only engine you missed that isn't ok to use LL01 FE. I think the point I was trying to make was, the original spec for those engines listed were actually LL01. LL01 FE came later on, and was deemed ok by BMW to use. So long story short OP,
WHICHEVER works. My preference? LL01. You make your own move.

so the FE is just for some CAFE regs and LL-01 without the FE probably protects a little bit better at the expense of a tiny bit of fuel consumption? am i getting this right?

No they don't. I worked on oil testing that later went for approvals. To state that you can pick up Mobil1 5W30 EP or SuperTech in Wal Mart bcs. it is pretty much the same, can state someone who does not have a clue about approval process and oils in general.

so the FE is just for some CAFE regs and LL-01 without the FE probably protects a little bit better at the expense of a tiny bit of fuel consumption? am i getting this right?

Yes you are.
In Europe S55 is strictly filled with LL04 (in Europe they moved from LL01 to LL04 once EU moved to Ultra Low-Sulphur Gas in 2009. LL04 is lower SAPS version of LL01). In NA BMW still prefers LL01 mostly due to different burn in older engines (N generation) bcs. of stricter NOx regulations at that time in the US comapred to EU where more emphasis was on CO2. New engines (B generation) are more similar to European versions as EU moved to similarly strict NOx restrictions. You could theoretically run LL04 oils (In Wal Mart you can get Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30) however I would do UOA after 3k and then another UOA after 5k.
No oil consumption should be there regardless if it is FE or just regular LL. If there is, it is probably due to specific oil not bcs. one is thinner than another one.

Again, if my car, I would run LL01. I am running PP Euro 5W40 in my N52, for what is worth, and it is OK oil. It is not thick W40 oil, it is barely W40, which means HTHS is probably around 3.6 (Pennzoil does not state it). Motul X-Cess 5W40 is very good oil if you want thicker one.
Motul is always good choice. Regardless what you decide, LL01 or LL01FE, generally you cannot go wrong with Motul.

great thanks, S55 is already a thirsty little [censored] for a six....hopefully not more than 1mpg for the 5w-40 pennzoil extra protection LL-01 probably worth it to me.

great thanks, S55 is already a thirsty little [censored] for a six....hopefully not more than 1mpg for the 5w-40 pennzoil extra protection LL-01 probably worth it to me.

It will be less than 1mpg. You might be looking 1-2%. While this might look minuscule to you, it is big deal CAFE wise for BMW. Your turbo's might spool bit longer. Not sure whether you will notice or not.

Last edited:
What's your thoughts on the cold weather "performance" of this vs a BMW/MINI branded 0w-30 LL-01FE? I have two cars that are approved for the LL-01FE spec, so I'd like stick with that. For warranty reasons, "piece-of-mind" and simplicity. I really look forward to only having to stock one oil at home.

This Motul is priced reasonably, but I also live in Minnesota and like to lean towards 0w oils when available.

Think there'd be any practical difference in a 5w or 0w LL01FE when cold starting at around -20F (-29C)?

Originally Posted by E365
Think there'd be any practical difference in a 5w or 0w LL01FE when cold starting at around -20F (-29C)?

Nope not at that temperature. 15 degrees more, maybe.

What's your thoughts on the cold weather "performance" of this vs a BMW/MINI branded 0w-30 LL-01FE? I have two cars that are approved for the LL-01FE spec, so I'd like stick with that. For warranty reasons, "piece-of-mind" and simplicity. I really look forward to only having to stock one oil at home.

This Motul is priced reasonably, but I also live in Minnesota and like to lean towards 0w oils when available.

the motul seems to be a bargain at under $7....

at -20f you are good with any 5W oil. I started vehicles at -35 to -37c using 5W40, no issues. Though 0W oils in MN would be my preference as you guy can tank below -20f easily.

Back