Motul 8100 E-tech Ester 0W-40 | 14,466 miles | Audi A4 1.8t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

It's been a while since I posted a UOA for my '03 Audi A4 1.8t, but here it is. Your thoughts/comments/opinions.... all very much appreciated. And if you have questions, or need more info, let me know.
smile.gif

To view the PDF, click here; Blackstone Labs UOA #4

History/Info:

Cars been running pretty much flawlessly and has just over 52K miles now. This OCI went a little longer then expected (usually 10-12K avg.). All previous UOA's were showing good results overall for both oil and engine. However, with this last OC and UOA it seems some concerns have come up with certain element findings. Also, as noted by Blackstone Labs, there was a Coil Pack failure in the #1 cylinder just before the belated service at 47,668 miles (actually the reason I took it in). I was only about 5 miles away from the dealer when it happened, driving as easy as I could. With regards to the Air Filter, this was last changed at the 20K service. I'll change that soon.

Driving is about 80/20 (Freeway/City) in SoCal. I drive pretty consistant speeds on the freeway, but do push it as well (high RPM's, speeds,..etc). I don't pamper it, let's put it that way. No engine mods except for NGK copper plugs (which I change every 5-8K miles) and a Canton/Mecca Performance Spin-On Filter. I had their 4" filter for this period (which I've been using for 8 years on VW/Audi 1.8t's and averaging 10-12K miles with changes), but recently switched to their new 6.25" size to match the larger OEM filter Audi introduced due to oil sludge issues and such a small oil capacity; 3.7 qts, now 4.2 qts.

With this OCI at 47,668 (actually the 40K service) I just had the dealer use their own oil, OEM filter and plugs, since my 50K service was so close and I didn't want to waste my stuff on it. Plus it would act as a cleaning stage (I've used Motul Engine Clean before). So at the 50K service, I had the dealer switch back to the Motul 8100 E-tech 0W-40, use the CM 6.25" Performance Filter and put in NGK coppers. Car felt great! And depending on your feedback here, I may only run 10K for the next OCI, and/or do a mid-way oil sample UOA to see how the #'s look.
Note: Had I received this last UOA from Blackstone Labs sooner (before my 50K service), I would have had a UOA done with the dealer oil to see how those numbers were afterwards and if it was the CP failure,..etc., that made certain element readings jump.

TBN for this oil and mileage doesn't seem to be any worse then the others with less mileage. You can view them, and comments by Blackstone Labs, here as PDF's in descending order;

UOA #3

UOA #2

UOA #1

#3 was Motul 300V Power 5W-40 (before Double Ester). #2 was Red Line 5W-40. And #1 was Red Line 5W-30 From deliery to 10K service was factory fill (most likely Castrol Syntech 0W-30). I didn't get a UOA done unfortunately.

My browser wouldn't let me preview the post, so I hope it's ok.

Thanks.
grin.gif

[ August 05, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: A4NCAR ]

Ah yes, sand. Not on the beach, but mostly Coastal area driving (PCH/Freeways); OC, LA, SD,...

The last air filter was changed between UOA #2 & #3 IIRC, or was it after #1...
dunno.gif

[ August 05, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: A4NCAR ]

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
Please

what? What am I missing, or what do you want me to provide in my post? I thought I pretty much covered everything... and more, as I have in the past. The UOA are in PDF and can be easily opened/read. Title's clear. Car info's in there. Oil details, months between change, miles on it...?
confused.gif

Wow. Since no one seems to have the "FREE" Adobe Acrobat Reader (which works in your browser as well) to read the PDF's I uploaded and supplied through the links, I guess I'll just have to post an image of it....

-

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Where have you been at? AW is at a loss in your absence.

I'm sure they get on w/o me.
tongue.gif
You should visit AZ sometimes. I coud use an oil freak
freak2.gif
like yourself. I have a little Motul following there now.
bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by A4NCAR:
Wow. Since no one seems to have the "FREE" Adobe Acrobat Reader (which works in your browser as well) to read the PDF's I uploaded and supplied through the links, I guess I'll just have to post an image of it....

I think the issue is that the admins on BITOG want you to type the data into the message box so there are no issues with the images or PDF's disappearing at some point in the future. It states right at the top of this forum:

"Please type data. No outside links for data."

I can understand that, but it can also be a PITA to type it up (depending on the amount of info and how detailed one wants it to be). Plus I don't have the HTML skills, or know of a simpler way to transfer the UOA PDF to some text form that can be pasted here and be legible. They [BITOG Admin] should offer a text-form box/window for inputting all the info then to make it easier, if that's what they expect.

So it's type or nothing eh?

Here it is:

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Audi
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 1.8L Turbo
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
ADDITIONAL INFO: 2003

OIL USE INTERVAL: 14,466 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Motul 8100 0W/40 (gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

COMMENTS: Aluminum increased, so the failed coil pack may have caused some piston scuffing. Iron, copper, and lead increased too and may show bearing wear. You ran this oil almost 14,500 miles, so the long oil change may have played a part in the increased wear. We also found high silicon, which could be abrasive dirt escaping the air filter. We also found sodium, which if it's not present in the virgin Motul oil (we don't know) may be antifreeze. We suggest checking the air filter & running 8K miles next time. The TBN read 2.1, getting low on active additive.

MI/HR ON OIL: 14,466
MI/HR ON UNIT: 47,668
SAMPLE DATE: 05/18/05

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION

ALUMINUM 8
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 39
COPPER 16
LEAD 10
TIN 5
MOLYBDENUM 10
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 4
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 2
SILICON 22
SODIUM 24
CALCIUM 1541
MAGNESIUM 1127
PHOSPHORUS 976
ZINC 1202
BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES TEST:
(VALUES SHOULD BE)
(TESTED VALUES WERE)

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF
60-74

FLASHPOINT IN ºF
>385

FUEL %

ANTIFREEZE %
?

WATER %

INSOLUBLES %

Gday.
Not bad for the mileage.seems to be a good stuff.Stay with 10000km oil change you will see better UOA.

You need to reduce these silicon levels...

I've been seeing 10-12 ppm of Si after 10,000 miles in my Audi TT, with the OEM filters and wear is about 50% lower than this....

Tooslick
dixie synthetics

I personally like the embedded image method the best. It is, by far, the easiest to read. I hate the link method. Plus, I have the latest Adobe reader and still could not see anything on the link.

offtopic.gif

Yeah, those Adobe links don't work for me either, even though I have the lastest version of Acrobat reader.

But as far as embedding images, yes, it looks good and is easy to do, but unfortunately is risky because people change ISPs like socks; today they're with one, tomorrow with another, and when they switch, all images disappear, and you can't even go back and fix your links, even if you'd remembered to do so.

It would be nice if we were allowed to upload UOA-related images to BITOG webserver. Unfortunately, that'd call for more storage space and thicker pipes.

quote:

Originally posted by Toyota18:
Gday.
Not bad for the mileage.seems to be a good stuff.Stay with 10000km oil change you will see better UOA.

Gday.
grin.gif
I'll go back to 10-12K OCI's and see how that looks. I still might take a sampe at 5K jst to check it out. I do have the new Canton Mecca 6.25" Spin-on Performance Filter now, so my oil level is up to 4.2 qts and the filtration will be even better.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You need to reduce these silicon levels...

I've been seeing 10-12 ppm of Si after 10,000 miles in my Audi TT, with the OEM filters and wear is about 50% lower than this....

Tooslick
dixie synthetics

How? Is it just getting by the air filter then? Do you think changing it more often will help? Is the TT air filter better perhaps? Are you on the Coast as well? I'm just using the OEM air filter still and it's only been changed once as mentioned. And are you saying the wear is higher because of the raised silicon? Do you think my #'s are not that good overall (even with earlier UOA's)? I was under the impression it was doing pretty well.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
offtopic.gif

Yeah, those Adobe links don't work for me either, even though I have the lastest version of Acrobat reader.

But as far as embedding images, yes, it looks good and is easy to do, but unfortunately is risky because people change ISPs like socks; today they're with one, tomorrow with another, and when they switch, all images disappear, and you can't even go back and fix your links, even if you'd remembered to do so.

It would be nice if we were allowed to upload UOA-related images to BITOG webserver. Unfortunately, that'd call for more storage space and thicker pipes.

Hi Pete,

I dumped the PDF's, that's why they can't be viewed. We just need an easier way to type in the info. BITOG should provide a special text-box for input of pertinent info so it's more legible when posted here. It's hard organizing it all, especially w/ limited HTML skill.
dunno.gif
Plus, there's more chance of typos. Seeing the actual UOA is the best way IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back