Motul 4100 15-50 '99Subaru Wrx Sti 1000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
this was my first ever oil analysis and i was very nervous opening the email i received, just like getting uni results
grin.gif

Motul 4100 15/50 Turbosynthetic (part synthtic ranks behind the 300v, 8100 and the 6100 )

My 1999 Subaru Wrx Sti has had new bearings put in about 8000kms ago.

This oil is 1000kms old of which 100kms in 37deg celcius heat of track work.
---------------------------------------------
Metals
Al 2
Cu 1
Cr 1
Fe 2
Pb 3
Sn 1

Contaminates/Additives

Si: 6
Na: less than 1

Physical tests

Water % by crackle: less than 0.05
Viscosity ~ cst, 40deg C: 123
PQ index: 26
Fuel : Pass
----------------------------------------
what does everyone think. considering this oil only went 1000kms?

does that mean if i was to go 5000kms i could extrapolate the "wear" figures by a factor of 5?

has the viscosity held up?

also, do you think i need to change the oil?

thanks for any input

cheers.gif

[ January 16, 2004, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: StiMan ]

You can't tell much with a 1000km report actually. You can't just multiply it by 5, because some of those wear metals were leftover stuff from your previous interval, so if you ran the oil 4000 more km, the wear rate would not continue as it is right now.

As far as viscosity goes, they only gave you the 40c viscosity, you need to get a 100c value in order to see if the oil didn't thin out or not.

By the way, this oil didn't look like it needed changing at all, although if we had more info on the analysis it would've been better (such as insolubles, oxidation, nitration, TBN, vis at 100c, and an exact fuel %)

Everything shown looks fine. I agree with Patman.

Need 100°C viscosity.

Can't say much, what's the purpose of the analysis? Why did you need "new bearings"? Which bearings?

Hi,
I cannot understand why you are using such a high viscosity oil?

Don't these engines typically call for something like a 15w-40 or slightly lighter viscosity in order to inhibit turbo lag ( impeller speedup )

I have a MY02 2.5 Outback manual

Regards

quote:

Can't say much, what's the purpose of the analysis? Why did you need "new bearings"? Which bearings?

my big end bearings failed before, and was making a large ticking noise above 2000rpm.

quote:

i used 15/50 for track day. it wass 37dec C , air temperature, track temeprature would prob been 100 deg C.
yes normally i run 10/40 for everyday driving

in my report it says "all wear level appear to be within acceptable levels for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealent) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Please check recorded requirements against viscoscity"

i was wondering what "Please check recorded requirements against viscoscity" means??

does anyone know motul 4100 manufacturers viscosity at 40deg C?

i found that Amsoil website quotes 126 @ 40 deg C (my oil was 123) for its 20W-50 oil (which is close to mine), so does that mean that my oil has not lost viscocity (at 40 deg C, anyway) ?

thanks
grin.gif

[ January 16, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: StiMan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,

Don't these engines typically call for something like a 15w-40 or slightly lighter viscosity in order to inhibit turbo lag ( impeller speedup )

I have a MY02 2.5 Outback manual

Regards

My 2002 wrxs manual states that use of up to 20-50 is acceptable in extreme circumstances, like a track day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back