MotorTrend: 2022 Subaru WRX First Test: Was the Old One Quicker? Better?

That is a concern. I am avoiding high rpm clutch dumps.
Also suggest downshifting when you need to accelerate (for example, passing a semi or accelerating to beat a yellow light).

High levels of boost in higher gears (especially 5th & 6th) is what puts a lot of strain on the clutch (with all the leverage). Also makes conditions ripe for detonation.

Im sure you’re aware of these things, however.

Also suggest downshifting when you need to accelerate (for example, passing a semi or accelerating to beat a yellow light).

High levels of boost in higher gears (especially 5th & 6th) is what puts a lot of strain on the clutch (with all the leverage). Also makes conditions ripe for detonation.

Im sure you’re aware of these things, however.

I am 66 and have been driving performance manual transmission cars all of my life. I agree that high boost at low rpm could cause detonation. But your advice about the clutch goes counter to everything I have known or experienced. Clutch slippage occurs when the clutch pedal is partially depressed and especially during high rpm launches. Power shifting puts a lot of stress on the clutch also. Just cruising and shifting in a high gear causes very little stress on the clutch.

I am 66 and have been driving performance manual transmission cars all of my life. I agree that high boost at low rpm could cause detonation. But your advice about the clutch goes counter to everything I have known or experienced. Clutch slippage occurs when the clutch pedal is partially depressed and especially during high rpm launches. Power shifting puts a lot of stress on the clutch also. Just cruising and shifting in a high gear causes very little stress on the clutch.
Of course the clutch slips when you partially depress the clutch.

The potential for clutch slippage is also greatest when the highest amount of leverage is applied to it. That happens in high gears (5th & 6th especially), at high throttle openings, at high boost.

To repeat the real-life example I cited before (and one under which I experienced slippage while driving my wife’s old 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T):

Youre cruising in 6th at around 60 mph on a highway. The traffic light you’re approaching turns yellow, and you go to 80% throttle to accelerate through the light.

Boost peaks, putting a lot of stress on the clutch, which, in my case, was having an extra 60 lb/Ft of torque over stock, applied to it.

Thats one scenario under which I got some clutch slip in the wife’s Civic, after installing that KTuner.

Downshifting reduces the strain on the clutch.

Ever try to pedal a multi-speed bicycle up a hill in high gear?

I loved my 2002 WRX wagon. It was a blast of car for few years. Now WRX and recent is a neutered car with decent interior and bland styling.

I loved my 2002 WRX wagon. It was a blast of car for few years. Now WRX and recent is a neutered car with decent interior and bland styling.
The original was a great car for its time, as were the generations that followed. But the 2015+ was definitely a big improvement over the previous generation, performance-wise, as well as ergonomically.

The FA20DIT is also far more reliable than the EJ.

I was a bit disappointed with the 2022 model, especially with the lack of power increase, but it certainly has lots of headroom for power increases via the aftermarket. And should be as reliable with the FA24, or even more so, than the FA20.

I still believe the 2022 WRX is the best performance bargain out there in the sport compact segment, especially since they’re now selling for well under MSRP.

A quick search reveals several base model 2022 WRXs (MSRP = $30,600 including destination fee) that are listed for $28,900 - almost $1700 off MSRP. And might even be able to be had for even less because it seems that not many want a base WRX…but I’ve always been a base model guy. You buy the WRX for the engine and drivetrain and great chassis. Not the electronic BS.

Reactions: FZ1
The FA24 in the WRX, as it comes from factory is detuned, leaving room for the STI, which was cancelled. The engine has vert high ceil for bolt ons and tuning. Factory boost is just 12 pounds. I have 20 pounds of boost with FBOs. I have a dyno tested 340 hp/379 tq at the wheels on 93 octane. Approximately 375 hp/414 tq at the crank. My car isn’t slow.
You're only losing 35hp/35tq through a on a car who's drive train consists of a transmission and 3 differentials???

All the torque in before 3700 rpm then tapers off??? 1200 rpm and you're gaining over 100ft lbs of torque???

I know the 24 is supposed to be stronger, but ****. Rods or pistons going to pull a no call no show.

Can buy grandma's 17 year old Avalon and scoot to 60 in only 0.4 seconds more.

True. Arguably better looking, definitely longer lasting. It can repeat that 0-60 time 10x in a row, hot lapping it. Try that with a wrx.

The FA20DIT is also far more reliable than the EJ.

You buy the WRX for the engine and drivetrain and great chassis. Not the electronic BS.
You ever own a FA or a EJ??? I've owned both in a wrx. Sorry, the FA is a weak rod, carbon build prone, poor excuse for a engine. I've taken many 255 and 257 ej cars to 200k miles with only oil changes and 4 cooling mods. I've made a bit of cash swapping long blocks in fa20 cars before 70k.

Great chassis??? It's not bad.

Great drive train??? Now you're reaching. Outside the sti 6 speed and r180 diff in the sti, wrx drive trains suck. Transmissions are made of recycled coke bottles, the non sti diff is weak sauce, no dccd.

Don't even get me started on them weak ass brakes on anything wrx outside the sti.

I bought a 2016 new and kept it for 3 years, putting over 40,000 miles on it, many of which were hitting redline regularly up and down East Tennessee/Western North Carolina mountain roads.

Never an issue with the engine.

Yes, the brakes sucked. However, they improved them in years following, and you can always upgrade to the better OEM brakes, or go aftermarket.

I’ve heard lots of guys with the 2022 are swapping on STi brakes.

One thing you have to remember about the WRX is that it’s built to a price point.

MSRP of $30,600.

Can be bought for $28,915. And that’s without even haggling.

Several are being offered at that price right now at Subaru of Fayetteville, AR.

Compare the WRX with any other sport compact car in that price range (I believe the Si is the only one in that category that is cheaper), and the WRX wipes the floor with it.

Again, it’s BY FAR the best bargain in the category.

I bought a 2016 new and kept it for 3 years, putting over 40,000 miles on it, many of which were hitting redline regularly up and down East Tennessee/Western North Carolina mountain roads.

Never an issue with the engine.

Yes, the brakes sucked. However, they improved them in years following, and you can always upgrade to the better OEM brakes, or go aftermarket.

I’ve heard lots of guys with the 2022 are swapping on STi brakes.

One thing you have to remember about the WRX is that it’s built to a price point.

MSRP of $30,600.

Can be bought for $28,915. And that’s without even haggling.

Several are being offered at that price right now at Subaru of Fayetteville, AR.

Compare the WRX with any other sport compact car in that price range (I believe the Si is the only one in that category that is cheaper), and the WRX wipes the floor with it.

Again, it’s BY FAR the best bargain in the category.
Golf GTI is 10X more serious vehicle.

Golf GTI is 10X more serious vehicle.
Front-heavy transverse engine, front-wheel drive only, axle hop, understeer, it costs several thousand dollars more than the $28,900 WRX, AND I have to deal with VW dealerships for sales & warranty?

No thanks.

Front-heavy transverse engine, front-wheel drive only, axle hop, understeer, it costs several thousand dollars more than the $28,900 WRX, AND I have to deal with VW dealerships for sales & warranty?

No thanks.
Yes, bcs. Subaru is example of reliability and dynamics.
You mentioned Civic Si , so here is proposition. Unlike Subaru, it won’t leave head gasket on the track or starve engine from oil when cornering.

Yes, bcs. Subaru is example of reliability and dynamics.
You mentioned Civic Si , so here is proposition. Unlike Subaru, it won’t leave head gasket on the track or starve engine from oil when cornering.
Look, I really do think the symmetrical WRX configuration, with the longitudinal-mount boxer engine provides uniquely good balance and handling with its low CG.

My 2016 WRX handled just awesome.

You know the head gasket problem was solved a LONG time ago, so you can quit beating that dead horse already.

Civic Si? Again…FWD axle hop and can’t put power down out of the corners. And the WRX has it beat by 70 HP and almost a full liter of displacement. Plus, the 2022 Si is actually DOWN on power (5 HP) from the 2021 model, and 0-60 takes a LEISURELY 7.7 seconds, as tested by Edmunds! And quarter mile takes >15 seconds! That’s just pitiful. An Odyssey minivan is faster in acceleration both to 60 MPH and through the quarter mile (6.5 seconds/15.1 seconds as tested by Car & Driver).

CTR? I understand it’s got a special front suspension design to help it get the power to the ground coming out of corners. The 19” or 20” wheels with massive rubber (widest rubber ever installed on a production FWD car, if I remember correctly) also helps with that. But I’ll bet it still jackhammers the front wheels up and down when you launch it from a stop, especially in the wet. But, again, now we’re WAY out of the WRX’s price range.

Last edited:
Look, I really do think the symmetrical WRX configuration, with the longitudinal-mount boxer engine provides uniquely good balance and handling with its low CG.

My 2016 WRX handled just awesome.

You know the head gasket problem was solved a LONG time ago, so you can quit beating that dead horse already.

Civic Si? Again…FWD axle hop and can’t put power down out of the corners. And the WRX has it beat by 70 HP and almost a full liter of displacement. Plus, the 2022 Si is actually DOWN on power (5 HP) from the 2021 model, and 0-60 takes a LEISURELY 7.7 seconds, as tested by Edmunds! And quarter mile takes >15 seconds! That’s just pitiful. An Odyssey minivan is faster in acceleration both to 60 MPH and through the quarter mile (6.5 seconds/15.1 seconds as tested by Car & Driver).

CTR? I understand it’s got a special front suspension design to help it get the power to the ground coming out of corners. The 19” or 20” wheels with massive rubber (widest rubber ever installed on a production FWD car, if I remember correctly) also helps with that. But I’ll bet it still jackhammers the front wheels up and down when you launch it from a stop, especially in the wet. But, again, now we’re WAY out of the WRX’s price range.
Is that why WRX is common on the track as Tesla is?
There is a reason WRX is cheap! It is a CHEAP vehicle. You might see value in it, but don't think you are getting something more than it is worth.
There is a saying that to bring Subaru WRX to track worthiness, the Porsche 911 is starting to look as good proposition financially. There is A LOT missing. And the price resembles that. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of small cars with a stick shift that are fun. But, if you are talking some serious game, sorry, it ain't in that league. GTI on other hand is. It does not take a lot to make GTI actually a serious track machine, because the platform, suspension etc. from get-go is very good. Hence, the price resembles that. Plus, in the latest versions, you are getting vectoring differential. And, it won't starve the engine of oil, which Subaru never resolved.
My Sienna would give my BMW run for the money in 0-60mph. But here is the thing, my dead grandma can get out of her grave and run the car fast 0-60mph. 0-60mph does not make a car immediately a good performance vehicle. Tesla Plaid is a superb 0-60mph vehicle. Other than that, it is garbage.

I personally would not get WRX, GTI whatever. But,

There is a reason WRX is cheap! It is a CHEAP vehicle. You might see value in it, but don't think you are getting something more than it is worth.
There is a saying that to bring Subaru WRX to track worthiness, the Porsche 911 is starting to look as good proposition financially.
911? Those are for kids. How about an Indy or F1 race car?

Is that why WRX is common on the track as Tesla is?
There is a saying that to bring Subaru WRX to track worthiness, the Porsche 911 is starting to look as good proposition financially. There is A LOT missing. And the price resembles that. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of small cars with a stick shift that are fun. But, if you are talking some serious game, sorry, it ain't in that league. GTI on other hand is. It does not take a lot to make GTI actually a serious track machine, because the platform, suspension etc. from get-go is very good. Hence, the price resembles that. Plus, in the latest versions, you are getting vectoring differential. And, it won't starve the engine of oil, which Subaru never resolved.
My Sienna would give my BMW run for the money in 0-60mph. But here is the thing, my dead grandma can get out of her grave and run the car fast 0-60mph. 0-60mph does not make a car immediately a good performance vehicle. Tesla Plaid is a superb 0-60mph vehicle. Other than that, it is garbage.

I personally would not get WRX, GTI whatever. But,
You claim that the GTI is a “serious track machine”, and that the “platform and suspension” is better than the WRX.

I’m curious, can you point to any objective evidence of these claims?

Back