Motormaster OE Plus Check before use!!!

Been a long time since I posted something on BITOG. I was reading some information on oil filters lately and saw a positive post about the somewhat new Canadian Tire Motormaster OE Plus oil filters. I need to do a change soon on my 2017 Honda Civic and the specs vs price looked favorable so I decided to pick 2 up (last 2 in the store for this model).

I didn't really look them over in the store. I got them home and took them out of the bag and noticed the 2 boxes were a different height yet they are the same part number. I decided to open them up and check them out and the 2 parts are different and by quite a bit. Obviously Canadian tire doesn't make their own, I have read that Champion makes these (they both have the blue valve in the bottom) but its almost like these were cloned from 2 different line of Champion or Champion and another make.

The short filter looks like it should except the louvers inside are mostly closed, I would not recommend this filter to anyone. The tall one has no metal screen on the inside, just plastic and honestly I don't think I have seen filters made this way. I went to another store and found filters of each style on the shelf, again the short one having poor perforation quality.

I will let the pics speak for themselves, but I think both are going back and I am a bit turned off on this filter type despite having high hopes for it. Looks like NAPA silver for the civic.

20200814_211133.jpg
20200814_211149.jpg
20200814_210626.jpg

Any date codes on the can? Wonder which one is a newer design. The louvers on the 2nd one don't look very well formed. The eCore actually doesn't look bad, the window spacing and pleat tightness looks decent. I'd use the first one over the 2nd one (it's longer too) if you wanted to keep one.

If they're made by champ, I know they recently switched some of the supertech filters from the louvers to ecore. Seems to look about the same. Regarding the size difference the ST6607 the ecore was taller.

Any date codes on the can? Wonder which one is a newer design. The louvers on the 2nd one don't look very well formed. The eCore actually doesn't look bad, the window spacing and pleat tightness looks decent. I'd use the first one over the 2nd one (it's longer too) if you wanted to keep one.
eCore 062320 so must be June 23 2020
Short style 030519 So it must be a 2019 filter

Duffman, pass on crappy tire's selection. Buy your filters on Rockauto. Just buy 4-6 filters to make it worthwhile with shipping costs and use the 5 pct code.

I use Fram Ultra for 2 OCI on the caravan and for 3-4 OCI on the civic.

I wouldn't be concerned about the e-core filter not having a reinforced filter element.

See this German cartridge filter as an example
vw-alh-tdi-oil-filter-15971.jpg

my old car, the cartridge filter didn't have a core.
prp1vddo69q9vqpkr739.jpg

It relied on the cartridge filter housing for the core
06d115408b.jpg

Last edited:
I see no issues with either of the filters pictured by the OP. I think frankly problems are being created where none exists. Looks like a filter. It’s round. Meets spec. Screws on. Doesn’t leak. I really don’t get. I’d run either of those on any vehicle assuming they met the proper spec for said vehicle.

I see no issues with either of the filters pictured by the OP. I think frankly problems are being created where none exists. Looks like a filter. It’s round. Meets spec. Screws on. Doesn’t leak. I really don’t get. I’d run either of those on any vehicle assuming they met the proper spec for said vehicle.

There really is nothing wrong with the one that is an E-core, I just had not been on BITOG for quite a while and was not familiar that this was the new thing in filters. The other one is a piece of junk and may have clouded my view temporarly of the pair. The holes are closed or near closed on practically all the louvers on the inside. Maybe oil pressure blows them open? I dont want to risk it, I am paying for a finished good, and I have never had a filter before that interior holes were questionable on mass.

Last edited:
There really is nothing wrong with the one that is an E-core, I just had not been on BITOG for quite a while and was not familiar that this was the new thing in filters. The other one is a piece of junk and may have clouded my view temporarly of the pair. The holes are closed or near closed on practically all the louvers on the inside. Maybe oil pressure blows them open? I dont want to risk it, I am paying for a finished good, and I have never had a filter before that interior holes were questionable on mass.

Yeah, those louvers are badly formed ... I'd never use that one. Oil pressure won't blow those closed louvers open.

Back