Motorhome filter

So my friends GMC motor home spun a rod bearing. He also noticed that mourning the oil pressure wasn't half way like normal but 1qtr up. As we where drivin down the road we suddenly heard a tapping and quickly shut the engine off. Checked oil, was good level but smelled burned. Had it towed home and two days later took oil filter apart to see black sludge. Date on can was july 2018. Only 2k on this oil. He was going to change the oil at the end of the month. So I guess do at least one year even if its not driving much. I did start it back with a new filter and oil pressure was normal but engine was tapping so hes looking to get it rebuild. 1975 GMC motor home olds 455. Some of the sludge eventually ran down after I took this picture.

Attachments

• 20201014_104158.jpg
    20201014_104158.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20201014_104230.jpg
    20201014_104230.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 117
Sounds like it was not well maintained in the past.
Hes had this motorhome for about 10 years and changed it yearly. He did skip 2019 cause it didn't go out much plus the covid shutdowns. Of course its 45 years old so maybe motorcraft 15w40 diesel broke lose some sludge.

Hes had this motorhome for about 10 years and changed it yearly. He did skip 2019 cause it didn't go out much plus the covid shutdowns. Of course its 45 years old so maybe motorcraft 15w40 diesel broke lose some sludge.
Probably not. The Olds engines were not the best to begin with . Back in the day it seemed everyone with the "jet" boat with the 455 Olds would spin bearings. The high end "jet" boats would have Chevrolet or Ford engines in them,

Probably not. The Olds engines were not the best to begin with . Back in the day it seemed everyone with the "jet" boat with the 455 Olds would spin bearings. The high end "jet" boats would have Chevrolet or Ford engines in them,
That's funny. People in the GMC motorhome group love them. Maybe those engines dont like rpm.

Back