Motorcycle oil filters

I used the Harley OEMs for quite some time, they seem like a well made filter for sure and I was ok with $10 plus tax. Dealers now getting $13 (or close to it), no way, forget that. Ill never pay it.
I have used a few Hi-flo's since then and they are fine but just a little more difficult to change, they are larger and the special Harley filter wrench doesnt fit on which is a pain on the touring 2014 (possibly even sooner) to 2016 bikes as there is a crankshaft sensor that gets in the way. Buts its doable just not ideal.

Fast forward to other recommendations and I think I found the "golden goose".
Wix 57148 actually designed for the Harley, so I bought two of them. Looking forward to trying it out but it will be a while as I have fresh oil and a new HiFlo on there now. Looks like they will work out great though, a tiny bit more narrow then the Harley so should be no issues putting on and removing. Nice, heavy, good feeling filter too.

BTW- the High Flo's are perfectly acceptable too but being they are a little larger, just take more effort to take them off as the HD engine sensor gets in the way.
Im Leary of using automobile oils filters on motorcycle engines that run at different oil pressures, many motorcycle engine oil filters have oil bypass valves that are set at lower PSI pressures (which would ensure your engine doesn't get starved for oil) then automotive filters so I think it makes sense to check before using them.

download.gif

Last edited:
The only things I buy at the Harley dealer is oil filters and Harley gloss polish. The last filter I bought was about $13, and that was a shock. I've only used their filters, because I'm not a gambler with something that could wreck my motor if I choose the wrong car filter for it. When I think about the cost, I figure I waste more money then the filter costs on other crap in the course of the year. The calsi lists above are not to be trusted as far as cross-fit of filters go.He claims you ca use Evo filters on twin cam motors and that V-rod filters can be used on other models which isn't right, so beware.,,,

I am surprised that these links have not appeared yet. While just one website's thoughts on oil filters, there is a lot of information that is interesting and possibly helpful.

They took some filters apart:

The information on that site is years out of date. For example, they still recommend the Purolator PureOne filter but years ago Purolator changed the base plate design on these such that they cannot be tightened to seal properly on many motorcycles - the base plate ends up touching the flange on the oil filter mounting boss on the engine and this is what is felt as the resistance to further tightening, rather than the oil filter actually compressing the gasket to form a good seal.
A number of owners have found out the hard way when their bikes shot oil out of the filter base when the engines were started.
Also, the Fram Ultra, probably one of the best oil filters in terms of filtration efficiency and build quality, was never reviewed by them.

Im Leary of using automobile oils filters on motorcycle engines that run at different oil pressures, many motorcycle engine oil filters have oil bypass valves that are set at lower PSI pressures (which would ensure your engine doesn't get starved for oil) then automotive filters so I think it makes sense to check before using them.
Yup, always make sure it is more than "it screws on and does not leak".

For my past several bikes (all Honda's), the "correct" motorcycle filter and automotive filter are the same spec's across the board (heck, Fram's own website states for Honda's you can use either their motorcycle specific PH6017a or the automotive XG6607. No idea why no recomendation for the PH6607 or TG6607 (well, I do know, it is about profit. The PH6017 is the same price as a TG6607).
I like the 7317 size filter just because it is bigger than the 6607 with identical specs, and bigger is better, right? ;)

I'm running the Ultra XG7317 on my Yamaha XSR900. The XG6607 is basically the same size as the OEM Yamaha filter, but the XG7317 fits so why not go larger. Also allows me to put in the full 3 qts of oil without over-filling the sump.

20181015_191611.jpg

The only things I buy at the Harley dealer is oil filters and Harley gloss polish. The last filter I bought was about $13, and that was a shock. I've only used their filters, because I'm not a gambler with something that could wreck my motor if I choose the wrong car filter for it. When I think about the cost, I figure I waste more money then the filter costs on other crap in the course of the year. The calsi lists above are not to be trusted as far as cross-fit of filters go.He claims you ca use Evo filters on twin cam motors and that V-rod filters can be used on other models which isn't right, so beware.,,,
I don’t blame you for not wanting to a car filter on a motorcycle. I never did either. I only use motorcycle filters.
If you ever want to check out the WIX, It’s strictly sold as a motorcycle filter for Harley and WIX being a premium brand lists the full set of specs for the filter including the bypass valve pressure of 8 psi which is made for a Harley.
Clearly if one uses an automotive filter on the Harley the bypass valve would be out of Spec as most automobiles are over 13 PSI
Here is the website if you’re interested along with the specs. I do agree the HD is a good filter but I believe the WIX 5 miconwith synthetic material is every bit as good.
Doesn’t mean I’m right but it is right for me.

I don’t mind paying more for Harley stuff but the filter just rubs me the wrong way and I feel I have a choice in the matter that doesn’t compromise the oil filter.
With all the above said it’s still good to know I can also buy a HD filter if I want at any dealer near me and who knows? Maybe after trying these out later this year I might find I still like the HD more and worth the extra 4 to $5 right now though I just feel they pushed the price to far.

Also the Wix is not cheap either but if you hunt around online you can get them very reasonable. I think I bought mine on Rock Auto around $8 also best to shop by the filter part number

https://m.wixfilters.com/Search/PartDetail?PartID=1721791 &Source=WESR

——

Last edited:
K&N 171-C. It has the 17mm nut welded onto the filter so I don’t have to use the Harley “special” slotted wrench to get around the crank position sensor. Easy Peasy plus it’s $2 cheaper than the Harley OEM from Amazon delivered. The C suffix means it’s chrome! ;)
Be aware that K&N had a big bunch of bad filters. They tended to leak at the seam, which has exactly zero chance of improving your day.

Be aware that K&N had a big bunch of bad filters. They tended to leak at the seam, which has exactly zero chance of improving your day.
Yes, theIr K&N 204 filters made 3/16 through 9/16 leaked at the welded nut. They issued a recall and hopefully they got all of them out of circulation. Agree, that would make for a bad day.

Last edited:
I use mostly OEM, but I have used Hi-Flows, and Mahle once in a while. For the Harleys I use OEM.

Back