Motorcycle Consumer News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcycle Consumer News is back doing an ‘Oil investigation’. It’s too bad they don’t have someone edit, comment, proof, peer review,…etc. the work they do before sending the results out for printing.

It’s pathetic… at best 10th grade science class work.

So what do they have to say this time?

I quit subscribing a few years ago. It got pretty lame. Sounds like it hasn't improved.

I tell you what, I wish they could get those MCN articles right!!!

It seems that they concentrate on the wrong aspects of Motor OIl. I talked to my buddy yesterday, and they were testing the oil to see what the viscosity was. Ie which had a higher cSt for a given grade--Like that really matters.

I wish they would run a real test where they tested different oils at a given interval. Say, 5,000 miles. Run each batch in the same bike. When you change out, run a short interval of say 500 miles of the next type, then run the 5,000 mile drain, then have the oil analyized. After that you would then be able to compare analysis of each oil brand.

I don't like to read about oil wars much anymore after finding this site. All the analysis speak for themselves!!

The last go round MCN did in fact submit the oil to testing. The San Diego Gold Wing club volunteered something like 400 bikes to do a 3,000 or so test, as I recall. Then the oils were analyzed, etc.. I thought the results were pretty solid, with some excellent deductions. Of course, being Mobil 1 biased and with the Mobil 1 motorcycle oils coming out pretty well in the test results, well, :).........
George Morrison

George

You need to be more critical with MSN.

Yes, they sent oil to be analyzed, but did we a single used oil analysis like what we see here. NO They give you a bunch of ‘arm waving’ graphs that aren’t explicit on the parameters they are talking about.

They show a chart and you don’t know if it’s data from a spec sheet or a used oil analysis. It drives me crazy. They say "A standard temperature test" but leave it at that. Is there a ASTM test that they are talking about? I suppose so, I wonder which one?

I threw the **** thing in the thrash so I can’t rag on it much more.

I agree that MX4T is tops. I’ve used it in my bikes and I’ve even used it my car. If I could buy it for the same price as Redline I’d continue to use it in my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back