Motorcycle cartridge oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a way to test motorcycle oil filters as there always seems to be alot of debate about. So far I've come up with 27 different brands that cross ref. with the factory part ( Kawasaki 16099-003)and I'm in the final stages of tracking all 27 filters down. Does anyone have a sorce for testing these or some home brew method? I would like to know what micron they filter down to and to see if they come apart at a certain temp. I've heard stories of Frams comming apart inside engines before but have never met anyone personaly this has happened to. Any help out there?

I'd be interested in your findings. I've been pondering these things as well. My daughter bought some Kawa knee scraper (some small 250cc screamer with a 13k redline) and I've been aching on figuring a way to find "better"
dunno.gif

quote:

I've heard stories of Frams comming apart inside engines before but have never met anyone personaly this has happened to.

Funny how that happens.....

27? Who-hoo.........
shocked.gif

Used them for years in mnay bikes and never had one come out bad. There was a problem with some of the spin on bike filter for a short period. The threads were either cut poorly or, as the story went, cut in such a way they could be used on 2 different fitments (fitting neither well). Anyway guys were spitting them off, it was enough of a problem at AMA races the tech guys wouldn't allow you to race with them. This was about the period of time fram got a bad rap in the MC community, even though the cartridge were fine and they fixed the spin ons. The stink from stuff like this lingers for a long time.

Weird coincidence! I've been working on a comparison for the Kawasaki 16099-004 filters. However, there are only five cross-referenced brands I've been able to find (Fram, NAPA, Wix, EMGO, and K&N).

None of these manufacturers have been able to offer me ANY sort of efficiency or capacity rating, let alone a good beta ratio.

My write-up has been reduced to a simple pleat count and visual comparison, which stinks because I don't feel like I'm really providing enough hard information for folks to make an informed decision.

16099-004

Part Number: 24950 (should be NAPA 4950)
UPC Number: 765809249509
Principal Application: Kawasaki Motorcycles - If 24950 will not fit, try 24951 - Has thicker gasket
All Applications
Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.150
Outer Diameter: 2.173
Inner Diameter: 0.535
Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Part Number: 24951 (should be NAPA 4951)
UPC Number: 765809249516
Principal Application: Kawasaki Motorcycles - 24951 has thicker gasket than 24950
All Applications
Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.150
Outer Diameter: 2.173
Inner Diameter: 0.535
Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Packed (2)

Purolator:

PART NUMBER: ML16823

Specifications
Type of Filter: Cartridge
I.D. Grommet: 0.52

O.D.: 2.17
Height: 2.17

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Packed (2)

PART NUMBER: ML16824

Specifications
Type of Filter: Cartridge
I.D. Grommet: 0.52

O.D.: 2.17
Height: 2.17

Here is the list
AC Deloco PF2170
Amsoil SMF101
Baldwin P148
Big A 96940
Car Quest 89940
Emgo 10-37500
FIAAM FA4917
Fram CH-6012
Hastings LF571
HIFLO HF401
Honda 15410-426-010
JC Whitney AGV021561Y
K&N KN401
Kawasaki 16099-003
Knecht AF62
Luber-Finer P7011
MANN MH814
NAPA 4941
Parts Unlimited K15-0003
PERF FORM J501
Purolator ML16812
STP SMO-12
Superior 21-8040
Triumph 1210031
Vesrah SF-4004
WIX 24941
Yamaha 36Y-13441-00
The ones I'm having problems locating are the
Big A 96940
FIAAM FA4917
Knecht AF62
Luber-Finer P7011
So if you know where I can obtain these please post up or E-mail me.

Fram's cartridge-style filters are well made. I've used the CH6012 for years in my '82 GPz750, and never once has it collapsed, suffered pleat problems or lost an end-cap.

Conversely, Amsoil's early cartridge filters consistently had problems. They probably have that fixed now, but when they first came out, the pleats would buckle and the end-caps had a hard time staying on. I wanted to use them for the supposedly better media, but after two successive "failures", I went back to Fram.

Can't say anything about Fram's re-worked canister filters....never had to use them, although I did hear they had problems.

Last night I went to the Cleveland bike show and Amsoil had a display set up. So I ask the 2 guys where the Asoil oil filters are made and he told me they were made by Hastings. I told him I didn't belive him because I have 2 Hastings LF571's and 2 Amsoil SMF101's from different sorces and they are not simialor at all. The 2 Hastings filters are stamped " Made in the USA" and the grommets are not attached to the canisters. The 2 Amsoil filters have no stampings on them and the grommets are attached to the canister. The Hastings filters have 65 pleats to the Amsoil filters that have 56 pleats.So I just wonder who really does make Amsoil motorcycle oil filters?

fox_racing_guy, I'm sure that Hastings is willing to make filters to customer spec. So, even though the Hastings brand and Amsoil brand filters have different construction and pleat count, they both could be manufactured by Hastings. Of course, this doesn't prove that they ARE both made by Hastings, only that we don't have enough evidence to say either way at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back